Udon Thani: Parents slapped with fines/possible jail time over their illegal bike racing teens

webfact

Udon Thani: Parents slapped with fines/possible jail time over their illegal bike racing teens

6pm copy.jpg

Caption: They paid 2,000 baht each

Police in Udon Thani in Thailand's north east are cracking down on teens illegally racing motorcycles.

And it is the parents who are getting fined or even jailed for allowing it to happen.

Residents have been annoyed by noise from the 2 am races.

In a third crackdown 77 youths and 24 adults were arrested and 63 vehicles were seized. 

This brought to 600 bikes seized in three police operations. 

Parents have to pay 2,000 baht to get the bikes back after seven days. 

Illegally modified and noisy exhausts have to be returned to factory standards. 

Many of the bikes also have special fuel injection devices to make them go faster.

If the youths are caught racing for a second time the parents will be prosecuted in court. On the first time they signed an order accepting that they would be prosecuted if their children erred again.

Such parents would face 3 months in jail and/or a 30,000 baht fine, said provincial police chief Pol Lt-Gen Woranat Phanphon on Sunday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-08

Illegally modified and noisy exhausts have to be returned to factory standards. 

Bicycle rims on motorbikes have to be returned to factory rims.

All lights and brakes must work well, riders ( all included ) have to wear a helmet.

Why do they fine the parents? Give them a few months voluntary work at emergency centers of hospitals and they might wake up.

Or not.

Mind boggling. 

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Shame that it is only apparently happening in Udon Thani.

There are at least 5 shops selling these illegal exhausts right in the centre of Udon Thani, when they shut down these shops I will believe they are serious! They were all still open this morning! 

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

There are at least 5 shops selling these illegal exhausts right in the centre of Udon Thani, when they shut down these shops I will believe they are serious! They were all still open this morning! 

Even if they did, these fine youngsters (future of Thailand) would probably buy a hacksaw or borrow an angle grinder to cut their exhaust pipes.

I just hope it's fake news and will never happen.

And to all the supporters of this action: Why do you want to make Thailand become as f*** boring as your home country you left is ?

1 minute ago, Deli said:

I just hope it's fake news and will never happen.

And to all the supporters of this action: Why do you want to make Thailand become as f*** boring as your home country you left is ?

Because we enjoy peace and quite? anyone that enjoys the sound of a high revving ~150cc engine which sounds more like a cement mixer on steroids than a well tuned engine is a mechanical moron!

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Even if they did, these fine youngsters (future of Thailand) would probably buy a hacksaw or borrow an angle grinder to cut their exhaust pipes.

Aaaaah, fond memories of my youth.....:stoner:

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Shame that it is only apparently happening in Udon Thani. Local cops made a song and dance in Pattaya that they were going to crack down on this, but of course have actually done nothing whatsoever. 

They are too busy trying to find prostitutes

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Buy them all cars so they can join the daily main stream racing suggest a brakeless out of control pickup as a starter ????

Good point, shortly I intend my daughter, who goes to school on a motorsi, to get herself a driving licence (along with my wife), a small car will offer more protection against the weather and in case of accident. Not at all inclined to let her loose in a 3.0 litre pick up!!! Even though it would come in handy on the farm.

Its in the brain cell, the lad up the road about 13 or so years old comes home with a brand new Wave, out comes the drill and punctures the silencer in several places, there now he is one of the gang, bloody racket at midnight and yes about 13 years old

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why do they fine the parents? Give them a few months voluntary work at emergency centers of hospitals and they might wake up.

Why? Because money is what talks loudest in Thailand, and it's easy to fine the parents who have failed to control their kids who are out in the early hours of the morning. And the threat of jail time for the parents if it happens again might wake the them up to their responsibility.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? Because money is what talks loudest in Thailand, and it's easy to fine the parents who have failed to control their kids who are out in the early hours of the morning. And the threat of jail time for the parents if it happens again might wake the them up to their responsibility.

Did your parents control you when a teen, or should I ask, how did they control you..?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Did your parents control you when a teen, or should I ask, how did they control you..?

I expect BangkokBarry was brought up to have respect and common  sense like yourself sir.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it was called having respect for your parents and being inducted with social responsibility and behaviour. In other words knowing right from wrong.

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why do they fine the parents?

Because as parents they are responsible for teaching their children right from wrong and having some idea of where they are and what they're up to at 2am !

22 minutes ago, transam said:

They did indeed, as did most parents at that time, 1950s and 60s. Their word was law, and if you didn't behave you received no pocket money and were sent to your room or forbidden to go out in the evenings or have friends round for a week. We were also set a curfew, which most certainly wasn't after 2 in the morning. If parents - and teachers - don't lay down the rules of what is acceptable and what is not, how are kids supposed to learn? It is one of the most important aspects of parenting, laying down acceptable guidelines.

How about yours? were you allowed to do whatever you liked, including breaking the law?

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Fines on the parents are good, but also crushing the bikes would be better. 

Why do so many people think that crushing the bikes is the best thing to do ??  Why not confiscate them and give them to some poor villagers in another province. Or is that too hard ??

A few saintly types showing up on here, my parents were very strict, I was beaten many times for overstepping the line. Yet still I endangered my life on many occasions, not least a lucky escape on an AJS 350 trying it out on run before my friend bought it no helmet no sense of the speed it was doing!!

One of my friends raced a Norton commando on his Yamamha 350 he was lucky only the chain snapped!!! Country roads blind bends could have been worse

I understand why kids do these things and my feel is parents can not be with them all the while they will and do get up to mischief.

My son has new put new colour rims on our old honda wave, he paid for them, next is surely the exhaust!!!

Same as I said previously sooner I can get him onto the safer environment of 4 wheels the better.

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Why do so many people think that crushing the bikes is the best thing to do ??  Why not confiscate them and give them to some poor villagers in another province. Or is that too hard ??

Because some people are like crustaceans with a very limited response behaviour.  

Tax

Ban

Crush

That's about it. 

Archived