Psychiatrists warn of dangers of watching TV series in solitude

webfact

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about they switch off the TV or take away that phone?

Or would that be too radical?

The phones, in most cases would need to be surgically removed!

• Like 2

It is not so ridiculous as seems. Thai soap opera is mostly screeching, wailing , bawling, cat fighting crap ! Maybe the viewers get addicted to the concept and get too  "involved' emotionally? Consider western soaps like the UK Coronation Street  or  US Days of (non) Lives where people are well known to identify with characters and become obsessed.

Is it healthy really?

• Like 1

I can believe that watching a series of violent Thai Soap Operas would make anyone crazy.  The portrayal of living in mansions, squabbling in rice paddies, cheating on their SO's, driving luxury cars all combine to provide false expectations to the minions. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MRDave said:

I've spent so much time alone I could live on the international space station all by myself for 5 years with no problems. All I need is a guitar, food and drink, internet access and enough toilet tissue and other supplies. Watching tv series by myself is a no brainer, that way I don't have annoying people spoiling my tv shows.

Excellant post. But I think you misunderstood the point which the Thai  doctor was saying. Being Thai he was warning about the dangers of watching the crass, poorly acted, violent and generally pathetic Thai TV programs. Given the fact that he fully understood the average Thai proclivity to watch such tripe, he was concerned that Thais believed what they watched and maybe lead Thais to such behavior.

I actually Googled in an attempt to see if there was any fact behind what this "doctor" was sprouting regarding surveys in other countries. Specifically "watching TV alone can lead to drug abuse".   Guess what ? Couldn't find a thing to justify the statement, only that TV can be addictive as has been known , most likely before this "doctor" was born.

But of course maybe Google is incomplete as a search engine ?

Thailand the "Hub of Psychiatrists"

Edited by geoffbezoz

I spend most of my time alone. I have no friends and often go 4-5 days without talking to a soul. I spend an average of 4 hours a day watching Netflix movies and TV shows alone, and 4 hours a day on the internet alone. There's nothing wrong with me, Doris.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thai Dr's earned a degree to tell us THIS !!!

it gets worse. These guys are paid for such loony ideas. How about a study about the dangers and effects for shrinks, caused by listening to insane people all day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

C'mon everybody, he's a real doctor you know and he didn't buy his degree from somewhere so we should all listen to him, so all of you out there who's depressed and sitting alone watching telly, stop that immediately and go play with yourselves instead...

Nobody plays with themselves here - there's a whole service industry out there.