No entry! Foreign tourist turned back at Suvarnabhumi for not having a free page in his passport

Jonathan Fairfield

No entry! Foreign tourist turned back at Suvarnabhumi for not having a free page in his passport

s4.jpg

Image: Naewna

Naew Na reported that a Saudi Arabian national was refused entry to Thailand at Suvarnabhumi airport on Tuesday because he did not have space in his passport for a Visa on Arrival stamp. 

The media said that 1979 regulations state that passports must be in an acceptable condition with space for stamps and have validity of 30 days ahead. 

They said that Pol Col Thankrit Buncharoen was in charge carrying out the strict orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang. 

The Saudi national was not named and what happened to him was not further reported. 

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-10

this is news ? What Thai Immigration should do ? They not stamp on a piece of paper and the guy should do some homework. Do you think Saudi Arabia would let you in when passport is full ?. Most likely he got denied entry and send back. 

56 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Naew Na reported that a Saudi Arabian national was refused entry to Thailand at Suvarnabhumi airport on Tuesday because he did not have space in his passport for a Visa on Arrival stamp. 

I think the reality was that he was too stupid to be allowed to travel abroad.

He must have missed school on the day they explained common sense.

Common knowledge is you need at least 1 full page available for entry to any country. And you need at least a page if you require a “visa on entry” in Thailand as this takes up 1 full page. Then you need another third of a page for the entry then departure stamps! This traveller is a fool. 

5 hours ago, Chuckster007 said:

The airline that checked his passport and let him fly to Thailand will have to send him back for FREE lol 

Theey'll use the return portion of his ticket and probably try to make him pay any change fee.

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Validity of passport is 6 months, not 30 days as mentioned in this article. 

For a Saudi passport holder applying for Visa on Arrival, my reading of the rules is it's only 30 days.

Well come on now that’s just common sense if you’re out of pages then they can’t stamp you in so you would need a new passport or have pages added if your country still does that. The United States stopped adding passport pages for us so if we run out of passport pages then we have to get a new passport. But obviously if you’re out of pages in your passport you need to get a new passport before you travel. I can’t believe this is actually a news article wow.

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I believe the requirement, officially, is 4 unused pages to enter Thailand. That’s what the airlines have told me at check in.

As a TEFLR you are a special case.  They have to work in room for your 3 monthly visa runs.

10 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Standard travel rules and common sense.  Minimum 6 months remaining on passport before expiration and 2 blanks pages.  I agree with Thai immigration here.

Doesn't do any harm to assume worst case, but for this guy, I understand 30 days and 1 page would have sufficed.

This happened a few years ago.   Yes, I know there's a difference between an altered passport missing pages and one missing enough pages as a reason for denial, but I just wanted to inject a little humor into the thread.             May the Mods forgive me...

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/02/26/uk-woman-deported-thailand-used-passport-toilet-paper/

This woman — who was neither from Germany nor from Florida  ripped pages out of her passport and used them as toilet paper. The Thai government didn’t accept her altered passport, and deported her.

I Wonder what the reference to "Germany" and "Florida" is all about.....

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 6.32.32 AM.png

I was denied entry for not having an empty page at aranyaprathet and was forced to fly to DMK from Sieam Reap - without any question officer stamped me in. I had visa and a lot empty space on many pages for arrival stamp.

those at aranyaprathet are maniacs. But had a positive encounter with customs there, short explanation and off go

11 hours ago, visarunner said:

this is news ? What Thai Immigration should do ? They not stamp on a piece of paper and the guy should do some homework. Do you think Saudi Arabia would let you in when passport is full ?. Most likely he got denied entry and send back. 

Just wondering if the airline check-in staff when he departed, or the passport staff when he departed said anything?

I guess it's not the responsibility at all of the airline check-in staff.

But whether the passport officer at departure, at any location, has some responsibility with this is another question.

Surely the PP officer at his departure was realizing after he/she applied the departure stamp that the PP was now totally full, and perhaps even thinking, where will the PP staff when he arrives at his destination put an arrival stamp? And where can the arrival stamp be applied when he returns home?  

Surely it would have been appropriate for the departing PP officer to have made some comment, even just a friendly casual comment. And further, from my understanding it's standard practice in most countries that there should be 6 (In think it's 6) empty pages.

8 hours ago, jaiyen said:

No, but you do for any visa. Most are a full page sticker. 

They don't have to be.

It's a beauracratic dick measuring fest.

PI have a visa sticker no bigger than a thumbprint. It's quite sufficient, and very sensible.

China one of the worst, learned how to waste your expensive passport real estate from supreme penpushers the USA and Aussie. 

Chinese immigration deface the visa with a pen slash on entry, and then sully a fresh page with their low tech ink stamp.

Very annoying as they insist on wasteful single entry visas until you've entered several times prior.

Why can't the shinybums stamp the visa itself? It's cancelled with a pen stroke anyway. The info on it obviously processed, used and void.

I guess that's too much like innovative thought for a Communist border RoboCop.

Archived