Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

these fitted to pop up when th light is red

They would work for a while until the road flooded and filled it with rubbish..then after its broken...no one would repair it...best thing is to remove the painted zebra crossings which just give pedestrians

( especially tourists who know no better ) a false sense of security.

might be that showing to enforce a fixed spot (stripped) is easier than other more effective forms of enforcement....

re zebra stripes, as a motorcy rider, when that 'paint' or whatever the stripes are painted with - when it's wet it is more slippery than the asphalt or concrete. Try stopping quickly or turning on wet zebra strips.... f'n govt brains at work.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"It's all about enforcement," he said. 

Then it will be a breeze. The full weight of the law will descend on those not stopping as it does every day on those, ghost driving, road racing, overtaking on bends with white lines and pulling out without looking. I can't wait. Pass the brown envelope sick bag.

Mukdahan has crossings but ran out of white paint years ago. Best example opposite BIG C , large school. no white paint but usually a gendarme thereabouts.60kph speed zone but locals cannot read 6 0nly 80 coming down past Robinsons but never seen a camera anywhere. Could pay for one in  a week.  This is MUKDAHAN though.

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Traffic lights at every zebra x-ing and these fitted to pop up when th light is red for the road.

Security-Road-Blocker-Surface-Mounted-Traffic-Spikes-for-Building-Management-System.jpg

Yes, this is what they need.

Face book,  would be inundated,  with idiots on bikes doing the Superman pose,

As they fly through the air, and headfirst into the tarmac. :thumbsup:

Enforcement? I don't know how many times I've been put in the crosshairs of speeding trucks and cars on the crossing I use at the end of my street. They even seem to speed up, like you're challenging them or something.  BTW, it's about 15 meters from the police station.

and in case there is a zebra crossing, someone even manages to add obstacles, making it impossible for elderly, handicapped, mothers with children or bicylces to cross; detour for pedestrians about 1km ! 

trying to suggest a solution, Vice President Mr. Pattana Boonsawat does not allow to move any block there, because motorbikes and cars might want to cross and cause many accidents. ENDLESS IGNORANCE !

pedestrian crossing jomtien.jpg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

That being said Pol Col Krissana then made a comment 

"It's all about enforcement," he said. 

I just glanced at the article and read the two last lines, and thought that can't be, it's impossible for a police officer to promote enforcement - it's unheard of. Then I figured it out: he is the Police spokesman, he doesn't walk the beat, he only talks about it.

I am gobsmacked to see Thailand's praiseworthy efforts to preserve Zebras continues unabated.

Not one single Zebra death in five years is world-class results equal to Switzerland's !

Those who dare to mention the thousands of people killed and maimed in those crossings, as if that distracts from this achievement: well, they may be Zebra poachers, or have a thing for stripes. Just ignore them.

~0:37;

Archived