Safest border for tourist visa run from Pattaya?

1 year old forum thread said Poipet is risky now. Are there better borders not too far away from Pattaya?

I am getting tired of day long van rides and think I will prefer a plane from Utapao so that is another option. I have done UTP to Udon Thani before, Nong Khai is a good border. Something even closer to the airport would be interesting

Assume you just want border bounce. I recently asked ubonjoe about bounce to Trat. Its about 4 hours from pattaya good drive. Straight safe from pattaya. 

Many other options. If you have need to go bkk could go onto Kanchanaburi. Your over minibus but from pattaya not easy option. 

Depends if you want back asap. Personally I love Saigon. Cheap prices from bkk but that's from DM. No simple option.

Edited by DrJack54

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Probably Ban Pakard, using your own transport, is the least unpleasant option. Unfortunately, U-Tapao does not have many suitable flights unless willing to stay overnight.

Agree with Tim. AirAsia fly out of U-Tapao with mini bus included from Hilton beach rd then to udon but very early flight time. Done it once to udon thani.

Air Asia do reasonable flights from U-Tapao to Hat Yai . From there can access Malaysian Borders Including Langkawi - via Satun . Did it last year and was very happy with it .

I often go Trat then Hat Lek/Koh Kong. Trat can be ok for an overnight stay with a little old tourist Street and street food at the market. Koh Kong can be entertaining. Several Farung owned restaurants, couple of ok hotels, small entertainment area, day trip to the island, a few other sights. Alot of expats have moved from Sihanoukville to there to escape the Chinese. Just get a Cambodian E visa from the proper government site as the border has visa scams.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

Flights now are dirt cheap . Can do Jakarta for 4300 baht return, 

I hear girlfriends are easy to find there too. Which area would you recommend? A friend of mine was asking ????

31 minutes ago, BestB said:

Why not fly somewhere near by . Flights now are dirt cheap . Can do Jakarta for 4300 baht return,Penang about 3000 baht return.

Many options and at times cheaper than the mini van, not to mention get to see and explore new place 

U-Tapao has no flight to either Jakarta or Penang. Where did you get the impression they do?

Other airports (Bangkok and Phuket) for instance, certainly have flights to a large number of destinations, but that is not of much use for someone wishing to do a no hassle border bounce from Pattaya.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

U-Tapao has no flight to either Jakarta or Penang. Where did you get the impression they do?

Other airports (Bangkok and Phuket) for instance, certainly have flights to a large number of destinations, but that is not of much use for someone wishing to do a no hassle border bounce from Pattaya.

Where did say or even hinted u-tapao?

what is the hassle of 1 hour ride to airport ? Or is 12 hour bus ride better ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

I hear girlfriends are easy to find there too. Which area would you recommend? A friend of mine was asking ????

I asked my friend for your friend who is asking. He said Google "block M" in Jakarta. He said he only went there to try the food. His friend told him about it. Lol

11 minutes ago, maprao said:

I asked my friend for your friend who is asking. He said Google "block M" in Jakarta. He said he only went there to try the food. His friend told him about it. Lol

What still going strong until now? Yes, a friend of a friend who worked in Japan visited Jakarta about 30 years ago and the place to go then was Block M.

42 minutes ago, maprao said:

Friend of your friend is correct. Food is crap though but female company is superb????

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with flying is you are increasing the risk of a denied entry

Is this true at Utapao too? I know it is true at DMK and BKK airports.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Where did say or even hinted u-tapao?

what is the hassle of 1 hour ride to airport ? Or is 12 hour bus ride better ?

Try reading the first post in the thread. It is not too long.In general, just posting suggestions of what would work well for you without considering where the poster is located is not too useful.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Try reading the first post in the thread. It is not too long.In general, just posting suggestions of what would work well for you without considering where the poster is located is not too useful.

Errr, extra 20 min drive to get to airport or extra 200 baht for taxi ride to that airport does not make all that much of a difference, so why you trolling is beyond me.

Gee, 12 hours in the mini van over 2 hour flight and something new, for same if not cheaper price.

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

Errr, extra 20 min drive to get to airport or extra 200 baht for taxi ride to that airport does not make all that much of a difference, so why you trolling is beyond me.

Gee, 12 hours in the mini van over 2 hour flight and something new, for same if not cheaper price.

I am still not sure what you are suggesting the OP should do. I am guessing you believe a taxi ride from Pattaya to Don Muang, followed by a flight to Hat Yai, followed by some form of transport from Hat Yai to Sadao or Padang Besar is cheaper and less hassle than a taxi from Pattaya to Ban Pakard (which does not take 12 hours, and does not include a minivan trip). The OP has seen our suggestions. It is now up to him which he wants to choose.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am still not sure what you are suggesting the OP should do. I am guessing you believe a taxi ride from Pattaya to Don Muang, followed by a flight to Hat Yai, followed by some form of transport from Hat Yai to Sadao or Padang Besar is cheaper and less hassle than a taxi from Pattaya to Ban Pakard (which does not take 12 hours, and does not include a minivan trip). The OP has seen our suggestions. It is now up to him which he wants to choose.

I am not surprised you unsure when you inventing ideas that I never posted .

Try reading what I wrote not imagining or creating what I did not write 

39 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am not surprised you unsure when you inventing ideas that I never posted .

Try reading what I wrote not imagining or creating what I did not write 

I read both what the OP wrote (including the title of this thread) and what you wrote

This was your original post in this thread asking for suggested border runs from Pattaya:

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Why not fly somewhere near by . Flights now are dirt cheap . Can do Jakarta for 4300 baht return,Penang about 3000 baht return.

Many options and at times cheaper than the mini van, not to mention get to see and explore new place 

I queried why you were suggesting this as the airport the OP could reasonably use (U-Tapao) had no flights to either location.

Later, you posted:

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I believed (rightly or wrongly) that you were still suggesting his easiest options were Penang or Jakarta. I will admit it was not clear as it still seemed strange you were suggesting using U-Tapao, the only airport close to Pattaya.

Post what you like. I have had my say and will not participate further.