PM Prayut doubles as Defence Minister in new Cabinet

webfact

1 hour ago, JAG said:

He doesn't wear a green suit any more, and his gang are no longer at the top of the "chain of command". Any military which may still be loyal to him have been moved away from Bangkok. No matter which perch in cabinet he is occupying, when the tanks and troops are on the streets again (and they inevitably will be) they will not be answering to him.

We who know why the armour was moved, don't realistically see that particular cavalry riding to the rescue of students, or of Future Forward supporters, or farmers, or anyone else without the special makro members discount card.

The one club member who lost her place at the golden trough, was replaced by her husband!

1 hour ago, JAG said:

He doesn't wear a green suit any more, and his gang are no longer at the top of the "chain of command". Any military which may still be loyal to him have been moved away from Bangkok. No matter which perch in cabinet he is occupying, when the tanks and troops are on the streets again (and they inevitably will be) they will not be answering to him.

I have been through three coups now and not a drop of blood has been shed.

I am afraid that if (or when) the troops do come on the street, it may be a little more violent this time with resistance, not from the people, but from the soldiers loyal to the PM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The new Cabinet also has eight other ministers who have worked with Prayut and Prawit in the current post-coup government: Somkid Jatusripitak, Wissanu Krea-ngam, General Chaichan Changmongkol, Uttama Savanayana, Don Pramudwinai, Suvit Maesincee, Sontirat Sontijirawong and General Anupong Paojinda.

Somkid, Wissanu, Chaichan, Don and Anupong have retained their Cabinet seats, with Somkid and Wissanu also appointed deputy prime ministers in the incoming government. Anupong will again be the Interior Minister, Don the Foreign Minister and Chaichan the Deputy Defence Minister.

Uttama, Sontirat and Suvit last year left the Prayut government to form the Phalang Pracharat Party, which later nominated Prayut as prime minister.

Sontirat, secretary general of the core coalition partner, Phalang Pracharat, has become Energy Minister, a coveted ministerial position that had also been reportedly sought by Suriya Juangroongruangkit, leader of a key faction in the party. Suriya has instead been appointed Industry Minister.

Uttama, the Phalang Pracharat leader, is the new Finance Minister, despite having been criticised by opposition politicians as being unqualified for the post due to his alleged involvement with a loan scandal in 2003 regarding the state-owned Krungthai Bank while serving as its senior executive. Uttama, however, said he had had nothing to do with the approval of the loans to financially ailing property companies.

Other key Phalang Pracharat figures have also become government ministers. They include Somsak Thepsuthin, who will become the Justice Minister, Buddhipongse Punakanta the new Digital Economy and Society minister; Ittipol Khunpluem the new Culture Minister and Nataphol Teepsuwan the new Education Minister.

Two other deputy PM positions will be held by leaders of the key Democrat and Bhumjaithai coalition parties - Democrat leader Jurin Laksanawisit has been named Commerce Minister and Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul the Public Health Minister.

The Cabinet seats allocated to Phalang Pracharat's coalition partners were virtually unchanged from the reported agreement.

Key figures from the Democrat Party appointed as government ministers are secretary general Chalermchai Sri-on, who will become the Agriculture Minister, and Juti Krairiksh, who will be the social Development and Human Security Minister.

Chalermchai will have three deputies from three different political parties: Mananya Thaiset from Bhumjaithai, Thammanas Phromphao from Phalang Pracharat and Praphat Phothasuthon from Chart Thai Pattana.

Bhumjaithai Party’s Saksayam Chidchob will become the new Transport Minister and party colleague Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn will be the new Tourism and Sports Minister. His wife Natee had been tipped to win that appointment but a last-minute change was forced after a court on Tuesday banned her from politics for five years.

Former Bank of Thailand governor MR Chatu Mongol Sonakul, who is the leader of the Action Coalition for Thailand Party, will become the new Labour Minister.

Members of the new Cabinet will officially take up their new jobs after taking an oath before His Majesty the King, with their audiences expected to take place soon.

Good God!... I can already hear that gigantic sucking sound from way, way over here!

7 minutes ago, petedk said:

I am afraid that if (or when) the troops do come on the street, it may be a little more violent this time with resistance, not from the people, but from the soldiers loyal to the PM.

Nope. Can't really add more, he may look all powerful on the page, but he's already just a 'useful idiot'. 

Edited by Small Joke

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut will also double as Defence Minister, a key position currently held by General Prawit Wongsuwan, his deputy in the outgoing government.

Prawit will retain his position as a deputy prime minister and is expected to also be in charge of security affairs.

Speaks volumes about the direction the government wish to take!

56 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

cone on, honestly, were you expecting any changes 555

Hindsight 20-20...it appears to me the outcome of the election may have been decided behind closed doors long before a vote was cast...just guessing!

More than likely Prayut is NOT a wise choice as defense minister. But, it adds to the medals he can wear on his chest, and nobody wants to deny him that. After all, the interests of the nation are always secondary, with this group.

It appears that Uttama Savanayana is one of the few in this group who are qualified to hold their position. Maybe the economy can mend itself with his leadership. He does have some good experience. 

3 hours ago, petedk said:

Yes, I think it will. The rest of the population will merely be spectators. I wonder where the two factions will clash - my money would be before the "relief column" reaches Bangkok.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Hindsight 20-20...it appears to me the outcome of the election may have been decided behind closed doors long before a vote was cast...just guessing!

would not disagree with you, just look at all the BS (dates, who can/can not run, etc. ) leading to the elections

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, spidermike007 said:

More than likely Prayut is NOT a wise choice as defense minister. But, it adds to the medals he can wear on his chest, and nobody wants to deny him that. After all, the interests of the nation are always secondary, with this group.

It appears that Uttama Savanayana is one of the few in this group who are qualified to hold their position. Maybe the economy can mend itself with his leadership. He does have some good experience. 

Mike the Thais like wearing medals. Even the minister for transport has some for not stopping the slaughter on Thai roads. In fact one of his medals represents him getting the Gold medal for Thailand for the number of people that are killed driving on Thai roads  A proud achievment i must say Well done