Medical marijuana a done deal for new govt: Anutin

snoop1130

Medical marijuana a done deal for new govt: Anutin

By The Nation

Marijuana-plant-Getty-photo-sized-1024x684.jpg

The government has already embraced “medical marijuana” as one of its policies, Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnveerakul revealed on Friday.

If things go as planned by the party, medical marijuana will be included in the country’s national drug list so that patients, regardless of health schemes they are affiliated with, can make use of it when necessary.

“Medical marijuana will be a part of the government’s policy statement,” Anutin said, citing discussions between him and Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Medical marijuana, which was legalised in Thailand only earlier this year, is a key election promise of the Bhumjaithai Party that supported Prayut’s return as prime minister in the post-election period.

“I would like to thank the prime minister for including medical marijuana as a government policy,” Anutin said.

Research findings suggest that extracts from cannabis can be useful for patients battling many diseases including cancer and Parkinson’s.

“Our stance is that medical marijuana must be legal, put on the national drug list, so that they are beneficial to Thais,” Anutin said.

He said his party’s move was aimed at benefiting Thai people and the Kingdom’s economy, not drug firms that may have hoped to claim lucrative patents for marijuana-based medicines.

Asked about his party’s plan to let people grow up to six cannabis plants for medical use, Anutin said the plan could be implemented first among one million village health volunteers.

In a related development, the governor of the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO), Dr Withoon Danwiboon, disclosed that the distribution of cannabis oil made by his agency would start late this month or early next month via the Medical Services Department.

According to him, oil was being extracted from dried cannabis flowers at his agency’s farms.

“With our advanced technology, we believe we should be able to supply up to 10,000 bottles of sublingual cannabis oil, not just 2,500,” he said.

The GPO has developed three types of cannabis oils: the first having a higher percentage of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) than CBD (Cannabidiol), the second having a higher percentage of CDB than THC, and the third having an equal percentage of THC and CBD.

“Hospitals will offer cannabis oils through special access schemes only,” he clarified.

Withoon emphasised that medical marijuana would be considered only for patients for whom standard medical treatments had not yielded satisfactory results.

He revealed further that his agency had already signed an agreement with Khon Kaen University on cooperation in research and development (R&D) of cannabis-based medicines.

Under the agreement, many types of medicines including the sublingual type will be developed.

Assoc Professor Charnchai Panthongviriyakul, the acting president of Khon Kaen University, said his university had prepared experienced researchers for R&D with the aim of delivering quality medicines for patients.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372890

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-12

So Anutin achieves absolutely nothing except becoming a paid lackey of Phrayut and the farmers and others who voted for him get the same as they had before the whatever it was because I won't call it an election!And all people want to talk about is fckg pad fckg thai!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Add Expleatives
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Withoon emphasised that medical marijuana would be considered only for patients for whom standard medical treatments had not yielded satisfactory results.

That was the official gov't stance in Canada when they were one of the first to allow the medical use of cannabis, but of course people skirted around it easily. 

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Asked about his party’s plan to let people grow up to six cannabis plants for medical use, Anutin said the plan could be implemented first among one million village health volunteers.

If that many villagers are allowed to grow some weed, I suspect a fair bit will find its way into the hands of people who don't have an official infliction. And that's fine with me.   

Edited by Inn Between
  • Like 1

I knew I was seeing it starting to float around here more often the oil drops that is. I actually have two bottles of them right now for real no kidding. It’s been out there for a while now I guess.

Apparently to get it legally you’re supposed to go to the doctor first and get paperwork from the doctor recommending medical marijuana or rather prescribing it. Then I think you’re supposed to take the paperwork from the doctor to your local Amphoe and get registered as being authorized to poses it legally and then take the paperwork from the Amphoe back to the same doctor and then they’ll sell it to you at the hospital pharmacy or clinic or whatever. Don’t quote me on that exactly but that’s what I’ve learned so far there might be a little bit more to it than that. I’ve heard it’s quite a bureaucracy getting legally registered for it. But once you are legally registered it’s not a problem they just prescribe it to you as needed for medical purposes only. That’s what I found out so far today but I think there might be a little bit more involved in the process I’m not sure yet.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The GPO has developed three types of cannabis oils: the first having a higher percentage of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) than CBD (Cannabidiol), the second having a higher percentage of CDB than THC, and the third having an equal percentage of THC and CBD.

“Hospitals will offer cannabis oils through special access schemes only,” he clarified.

Well, this is not so good. First, they are not making CBD-only oil as in other countries and second, I have to prove that dangerous anti-epilepsy drugs don't "yield satisfactory results" before they'll give it to me. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, from the home of CC said:

As the U.S. feds look to get ready to legalize (they can't let us canadians have all the fun lol) you'll see it loosening up here. When America legalizes it will reverberate around the world..

Wishful thinking. The US will not legalize MJ as long as Mitch McConnell leads the US senate. He is vehemently again MJ reform. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, from the home of CC said:

As the U.S. feds look to get ready to legalize (they can't let us canadians have all the fun lol) you'll see it loosening up here. When America legalizes it will reverberate around the world..

Actually, the Canadian roll-out of legal weed has been a farce. The gov't had 3 years to prepare but couldn't get it together. They don't have an adequate supply because they've over-regulated the industry, making it very difficult to set up a growing operation.

In Ontario, a province of about 10 million people, they were only allowing 25 retail shops to open (due to lack of supply) and they were supposed to be ready by April 1 (how appropriate). To date, only about a dozen have opened. If I want to buy the gov'ts overpriced legal weed, I have to do it online at over $10 per gram, so the black market is having a heyday with their prices closer to averaging $6. 

Fortunately, we're allowed to grow our own, so I have some very lovely White Widows (medicinal) and Sour Diesels (recreational) going in my garden. 

A little province on the east coast (Prince Edward Island) just announced that they've lost $500,000 so far, trying to make some money selling cannabis. How is that even possible? I know guys who have made enough to buy very nice big toys just from their basement crops. 

8 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Actually, the Canadian roll-out of legal weed has been a farce. The gov't had 3 years to prepare but couldn't get it together. They don't have an adequate supply because they've over-regulated the industry, making it very difficult to set up a growing operation.

In Ontario, a province of about 10 million people, they were only allowing 25 retail shops to open (due to lack of supply) and they were supposed to be ready by April 1 (how appropriate). To date, only about a dozen have opened. If I want to buy the gov'ts overpriced legal weed, I have to do it online at over $10 per gram, so the black market is having a heyday with their prices closer to averaging $6. 

Fortunately, we're allowed to grow our own, so I have some very lovely White Widows (medicinal) and Sour Diesels (recreational) going in my garden. 

A little province on the east coast (Prince Edward Island) just announced that they've lost $500,000 so far, trying to make some money selling cannabis. How is that even possible? I know guys who have made enough to buy very nice big toys just from their basement crops. 

yep growing pains, never seen a government yet not screw up a new roll out of anything. Still, with all the problems I'm happy we legalized (although I've missed it cause I live here). The supply issues will go away but the price discrepancy will remain. I'm sure they'll be a nice black market economy for those who choose to take the chance (much like the old moonshiners I guess). I joined NORML in 1970 on a Windsor street corner and it took almost 50 yrs for intelligent thought to prevail, I'm just glad it finally did. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

yep growing pains, never seen a government yet not screw up a new roll out of anything. Still, with all the problems I'm happy we legalized (although I've missed it cause I live here). The supply issues will go away but the price discrepancy will remain. I'm sure they'll be a nice black market economy for those who choose to take the chance (much like the old moonshiners I guess). I joined NORML in 1970 on a Windsor street corner and it took almost 50 yrs for intelligent thought to prevail, I'm just glad it finally did. 

You joined NORML 50 years ago and have waited all this time for sanity to prevail. 

Let me tell you my story: I joined NORMAL in the late 1970's when I left the USA for Thailand. At that time ganja was almost as easy to buy as beer. It was everywhere; in the cities, in the villages, on the islands.

Yah bah, ice, and coke were nowhere to be found until the disastrous War on Drugs was begun along with the cold-blooded killings that went with it.

Stop this bureaucratic nonsense and let the chao bahn grow their own like they had been doing for hundreds of years.

Bring back a little bit of the old Thailand that I and so many others fell in love with when we first came.

Don't bogart that joint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

You joined NORML 50 years ago and have waited all this time for sanity to prevail. 

Let me tell you my story: I joined NORMAL in the late 1970's when I left the USA for Thailand. At that time ganja was almost as easy to buy as beer. It was everywhere; in the cities, in the villages, on the islands.

Yah bah, ice, and coke were nowhere to be found until the disastrous War on Drugs was begun along with the cold-blooded killings that went with it.

Stop this bureaucratic nonsense and let the chao bahn grow their own like they had been doing for hundreds of years.

Bring back a little bit of the old Thailand that I and so many others fell in love with when we first came.

Don't bogart that joint.

You're absolutely right about the war bringing on more dangerous substances. With the severe penalties that followed people decided if governments were going to increase the risk and consequences of arrest they might as well make more money than handling weed, hence the increased traffic in the easier to transport and hide drugs like heroin, coke and speed. You tell people they can't have something, they're going to find a way to get it, that's human nature.

• Like 2