Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The Thais are, it's you that is out of step.  Their country, their rules.  

NOT  according  to the signs outside  military bases  stating freedom of religions, people,religions,monarchy

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand has a very large percent of people suffering from the disease of alcoholism. Many go to the temple for 3 months to abstain. Sadly, 99% of them relapse during awk pansaa.

They can always  have  a fag instead,  much healthier

14 hours ago, Longcut said:

Correct, but it says you cannot purchase it. How does a tourist purchase alcohol while on vacation. Do you expect them to stock up like a local?

Why would the government ban the purchase of alcohol if they didn't want you to drink it?

They have two days to consume their duty free. 555

17 hours ago, fishtank said:

Yet more mumbo jumbo tosh.

Let people live their lives how they want.

Oi - you are a guest in their country (if you are there). Pull your head in. There are laws everywhere -else there would be anarchy.

Yes, allow a whole load of pi*s pots on the roads so they can kill someone by living their lives the way they want.

10 hours ago, Scutty said:

They just have some some idea of values which westerners wouldnt understand . Your in their country respect their culture .

Yes exactly - in Bali they have a day of silence. It's called Nyepi.

EVERYTHING shuts down for 24 hrs. I mean everything. Airport closed, shops closed, no traffic on road, fasting, no drinking, no tv, no radio, silence the whole day. Hotel guests must stay in the hotel, no use of fire, no check in, no checkout, no lights at night. and more. It's their cultural belief.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The 48 hour ban marks two Buddhist holidays - Asahna Bucha and Khao Phansa (the start of Buddhist Lent)

Wonder how many non-returning tourist the forced prohibition creates?  

Even if Pattaya was open for booze selling, you couldn't get in as the road works on Pattaya Tai created the most appalling log jam.  This was exacerbated by the Thai Buddhist belief 'me, me, me first.'  I lost track of the number of junctions blocked by brainless, selfish Thais going nowhere but determined that others couldn't go either.

Thailand already has that law that you cant buy alcohol between 2pm and 5pm. The best reason I have heard for this is so that school children dont buy it after school. That seems like a silly reason.

Now, there are days and several days in a row we cant buy alcohol as they force a false sense of morality down our throats. Because prostitution, theiving ladyboys on beach road, and getting stabbing and attacked by Thais who get away with a 500 baht fine and a wei are not a problem...obviously. 

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If they can't have a couple of days without alcohol, obeying the laws of the country, they probably have an alcohol problem. This may Werth help then to realize it.

This ban has nothing to do with expats most of whom rarely drink in bars anyway (except Pattaya).We know the alcohol ban days .  

This ban affects tourists who don't know.

Probably been working hard  in some crappy job for 6-12 months looking forward to a holiday in the sun then get shafted on arrival.

Welcome to Land of Smiles(sic)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If they can't have a couple of days without alcohol, obeying the laws of the country, they probably have an alcohol problem. This may Werth help then to realize it.

The way I see it, it is people who are losing their livelihood for 48 hours who are getting the worst deal.

If this no alcohol nonsense affected the top brasses income stream. it would soon stop, and no, I don't drink.

Except at International Airports?!! Why? Is it because the government does not want to show to foreigners

that Thailand is somewhat...backward!

Sorry cops, I will drink alcohol, but only in my house. I wont feel guilty, I'm not Buddhist.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Longcut said:

So basically, Now. Religion is State Run. Don't Mideast countries have religious police too?

That's a great idea.

"have religious police too"

Fantastic opportunity to roll out a new department in the government.  ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moo 2 said:

Except at International Airports?!! Why? Is it because the government does not want to show to foreigners

that Thailand is somewhat...backward!

Sorry cops, I will drink alcohol, but only in my house. I wont feel guilty, I'm not Buddhist.

Nothing is more serious than a good laugh.

1 minute ago, alant said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place

Is it not in their 'Ten Commandments' that they should not consume intoxicationg liquer?

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sorry, no link, I make my own studies based on what I experience.

As for the second sentence, my life is longer than it would have been if I hadn't quit drinking.

Apologies for being insensitive in my response. Not intentional. Bear with me for a clearer explanation.

It is scientifically acknowledged that statistically, drinkers (both men and women) live longer than abstainers. Numerous health studies have resulted in that conclusion. However, everyone is different with different DNA make-up and, from your response, abstaining saved your life. That doesn't mean your life-threatening experience is the norm, though.  

It is also a scientific fact that people who suffer from Hepatitis C, take intravenous drug injections, or suffer from HIV are at a greater risk of developing liver disease from alcohol consumption, than those who are not suffering from the above conditions. While I wouldn't wish Liver disease on anybody, the health benefits of abstaining could indeed be a life saver.

But for Caucasians, who have a higher tolerance of alcohol than Asians, I would suggest, other health conditions being equal, that daily alcohol consumption of <35 grams (<half a bottle of red wine) is a health benefit, and cannot and should not be compared to hard drug consumptions - or smoking, come to that. 

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Is it not in their 'Ten Commandments' that they should not consume intoxicationg liquer?

I read in the 5 precepts that devotees one is to abstain from intoxicants but these are not commandments so I am not sure how this holds up. Especially if you look at them in the context of the other precepts.

For me personally I wonder where these came from as they were not written by Buddha. I am not saying he didn't preach them I just wonder.