Renewing Retirement Extension for 2020

Just to use my extension as example. My until date is Nov 8, so up to 45 days prior I need attend CW imm to apply for extension. Let's say I go Nov 1. I need show balance in bank a/c not less than 800k for continuous 2 months (couple of stupid offices are asking for 3 months). That's it.

If I wish to obtain an extension late in 2020, I need to maintain the 800k min for 3 months after Nov 1. Then not below 400k after. Then 2 months prior to my extension 2020 I need to bump it up again to 800k.

As for what to show imm.

For my 2019 Nov extension I just show bankbook and photo copies of 2 months prior to date I apply. At CW my experience is they insist on activity on the day of application (eg 100baht deposit) For that reason o obtain bank letter at CW and make deposit same time with clerk doing letter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As I understand you will have to show 65k bath every month since january 2019. I am assuming that you base your retirement on monthly income.

Ha...I just posted same time as you and assumed OP was using money in bank method. Will leave my post for others

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ha...I just posted same time as you and assumed OP was using money in bank method. Will leave my post for others

At least we have both answers in the thread now. ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

31 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Why would you assume two months? Surely you need 65k every month since your last extension no matter which book it is shown in. Two bank books = two letters.

800k method. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

800k method.  I would think some announcement must be made soon if they want more than 2 months of bank book shown for those doing 2nd or 3rd or whatever year extensions.

the police order (very vaguely written) says 2 months before and then must maintain the 800K for 3 months after and then not less than 400K.

So your balance needs to be:

800 K for 5 months (2 months before + 3 months after)

400 K for  5 months

Then

800 k for 2 months to prepare for the next year's extension

BUT be forewarned that some Imm offices still expect 3 months before and there is indeed a case to be made that this is what the police order actually meant - not 2keep 800 in  months before and 3 months after the extension,  but rather season 2 months before 1st extension and then season 3 months before subsequent extensions (as has long been the case).  The majority interpertation seems to be  that 800K has to be in the bank 2 months before and 3 months after, though.

Safest thing to do, unless you have specific info from your IO, is to season it for 3 months before.

Given the hassle of keeping up with the days to insure the balances are what they need to be at different times in the year, and that at no time can you spend more than 400K of the 800K (which you will then have to top back up in just a few months anyhow) many of us have concluded it is simpler to just park 800K year round in a FD account where it will gain moire (though still low) interest than in a regular savings deposit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

the police order (very vaguely written) says 2 months before and then must maintain the 800K for 3 months after and then not less than 400K.

400 K for  5 months

Then

BUT be forewarned that some Imm offices still expect 3 months before and there is indeed a case to be made that this is what the police order actually meant - not 2keep 800 in  months before and 3 months after the extension,  but rather season 2 months before 1st extension and then season 3 months before subsequent extensions (as has long been the case).  The majority interpertation seems to be  that 800K has to be in the bank 2 months before and 3 months after, though.

Safest thing to do, unless you have specific info from your IO, is to season it for 3 months before.

Given the hassle of keeping up with the days to insure the balances are what they need to be at different times in the year, and that at no time can you spend more than 400K of the 800K (which you will then have to top back up in just a few months anyhow) many of us have concluded it is simpler to just park 800K year round in a FD account where it will gain moire (though still low) interest than in a regular savings deposit.

Do you think Thai Immigration will be informing the public of the new rules before they take effect or wait till they can deny the extension because of spending money not supposed to be spent? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you think Thai Immigration will be informing the public of the new rules before they take effect or wait till they can deny the extension because of spending money not supposed to be spent? 

New 800k/400k rules already are in effect since March 2019 I believe... The police order has been posted numerous times on this forum in other posts. Good luck...

Edited by BertM
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The have been in effect since March first.

The were made public in January when the were posted as an announcement on the immigration website. The announcement and order was in Thai.

Edit: Link for the annoucement. https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5c515d0a753d2c5d3589c929

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The have been in effect since March first.

The were made public in January when the were posted as an announcement on the immigration website. The announcement and order was in Thai. 

Edit: Link for the announcement. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5c515d0a753d2c5d3589c929

Aren't all the other announcements with requirements for Retirement extensions in English?  Seems posting them in Thai would be counter intuitive.  As I read the police order nothing is changed about what to show for the next years extension especially if one were to change from 800k to 65k.  So if I do 800k this year is there any reason I can't do 65k per month next year and is there any requirement to show the bank book that the last year's extension was done with?  

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Aren't all the other announcements with requirements for Retirement extensions in English?

I have not seen any police order or announcement issued in English in recent history.

As I read the police order nothing is changed about what to show for the next years extension especially if one were to change from 800k to 65k. 

It states what is needed for every extension.

Since it states the amount you have to keep in the bank after the date you apply they will check your bank book or books to confirm you complied with the requirements when you apply for the next extension.

So if I do 800k this year is there any reason I can't do 65k per month next year and is there any requirement to show the bank book that the last year's extension was done with?  

No reason you cannot change to the 65k baht option. They might even waive 400k baht for the months where you could prove you were bringing in the 65k baht for that option which could be from the end of the 3 months for the 800k baht in the bank since you need 12 months of transfers to meet the income requirement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I have not seen any police order or announcement issued in English in recent history.

It states what is needed for every extension.

Since it states the amount you have to keep in the bank after the date you apply they will check your bank book or books to confirm you complied with the requirements when you apply for the next extension.

No reason you cannot change to the 65k baht option. They might even waive 400k baht for the months where you could prove you were bringing in the 65k baht for that option.

Or just open a new bank account for the 65k.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

When renewing a retirement extension that has been renewed numerous times how many months does one need to show in a new bank account bank book?  I'm assuming 2 months.  Bank letter and bank book with 2 months of activity?  

At the moment they can show “leniency”. You might get away with a couple of months, but equally, as you're not a new retiree, they could insist on anything up to the last 12 months.

400 K for  5 months
Then

The safest thing to do is buy previlege using an agent to avoid all the nonsense.

Sent from my Hi9Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would not call that safe at all.

If using an agent who bypasses the regulations, this could be stopped at any time and the visas so obtained voided.

There is an old Jackson Browne song with the refrain "Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

800k method. 

Two months, although a few offices seem to still require 3. If you are renewing post March 2020, there is a possibility you will need to show the previous years money in the bank. 800,000 3 months from the 2019 application, then 400,000 for months 4 to 10. This is conjecture as it is too soon to have been required yet. 

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Relevant?

I needed to go to the Jomtien Immigration yesterday for my own situation plan to use the 800,000 plus method since my main account is in a joint situation now and having a bit of a problem shipping more money over to Thailand since I've used Transferwise in the past with no problem but been reading recently deposits aren't listed as FTT?

I contacted Transferwise about this situation and their response was they couldn't guarantee but will try their best?

So I went down to Jomtien, window 8 and explain the situation and it was noted to me "  800,000 method doesn't need to show FTT, only for monthly income "

Print out your Transferwise history, including the debit note on your home account bank statements.

If you chose to go (say) 45 days early for your 12 months extension does the money need to be left in the bank for 3 months from the date the extension was obtained or 3 months from the date the extension would have expired?

For expample; if your extension expired 30/11/19 and you went to immigration 20/10/19 do you need to leave the money in the bank till the end of Feb (30/11 + 3 months) or 20/1 (being 20/10 + 3 months)?

Phone your local IO and ask them as they all have their own interpretation of the rules.

Then phone again on the day before you intend going, and just hope that if you get a positive answer that

it stays the same when you go the following day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BertM said:

New 800k/400k rules already are in effect since March 2019 I believe... The police order has been posted numerous times on this forum in other posts. Good luck...

You have to always be aware that different IOs use different interpretations of the rules, you just have to hope for the best no matter who tells you what. You cannot win. This is Thailand.

Edited by possum1931

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would not call that safe at all.

If using an agent who bypasses the regulations, this could be stopped at any time and the visas so obtained voided.

There is an old Jackson Browne song with the refrain "Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet".

Surely all one has to do is use an agent who does not bypass the regulations? There must be some way of knowing who the honest ones are.