Renewing Retirement Extension for 2020

Just now, Pedrogaz said:

What has happened to the requirement for health insurance. Wasn't this supposed to go into effect on July 1st?

It has not been finalized or been approved yet. Only the proposal of it was approved. Also it is only for OA visas issued by a embassy not extensions of stay.

The first of July was merely a speculated date.

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Relevant?

I needed to go to the Jomtien Immigration yesterday for my own situation plan to use the 800,000 plus method since my main account is in a joint situation now and having a bit of a problem shipping more money over to Thailand since I've used Transferwise in the past with no problem but been reading recently deposits aren't listed as FTT?

I contacted Transferwise about this situation and their response was they couldn't guarantee but will try their best?

So I went down to Jomtien, window 8 and explain the situation and it was noted to me "  800,000 method doesn't need to show FTT, only for monthly income "

that is correct. But it cannot be in  a joint account. Has to be in your name only.

4 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

If you chose to go (say) 45 days early for your 12 months extension does the money need to be left in the bank for 3 months from the date the extension was obtained or 3 months from the date the extension would have expired?

For expample; if your extension expired 30/11/19 and you went to immigration 20/10/19 do you need to leave the money in the bank till the end of Feb (30/11 + 3 months) or 20/1 (being 20/10 + 3 months)?

The money has to be in the bank the prescribed period (2 or 3 months depending on the IO) prior to the date you apply for extension.

Yet another advantage to leaving the 800k there year round, if you can afford it -  you then are nto constrained in when you can make the application.

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The money has to be in the ban the prescribed period (2 or 3 months depending on the IO) prior to the date you apply for extension.

Yet another advantage to leaving the 800k there year round, if you can afford it -  you then are nto constrained in when you can make the application.

I think that's a good plan for the 800k. Recently I opened 2 new accounts at another bank. I put 600k in FD a/c and 210k in savings a/c. Put the 2 bankbooks in draw with plan not to touch them. The reasoning behind the separate savings a/c is just in case I need instant cash for something like medical. Just a suggestion. For the record the interest on FD is 1.55%

Not great but something. Yes tax on that is paid. 

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would not call that safe at all.

If using an agent who bypasses the regulations, this could be stopped at any time and the visas so obtained voided.

There is an old Jackson Browne song with the refrain "Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet".

But, to be fair, it hasn't happened and would bet a fair wedge that it will never happe.

There are too many vested interests and I hardly see Thai immigration coming out and saying "we are no longer allowing the practice of illegally obtained retirement extensions that have our official stamps on".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The money has to be in the bank the prescribed period (2 or 3 months depending on the IO) prior to the date you apply for extension.

Yes, but doesn't it also have to be in the bank after the extensions is granted?

Is that for 3 months after the date the extension is issued/granted or 3 months after the actual date of the extension?

8 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

Yes, but doesn't it also have to be in the bank after the extensions is granted?

Is that for 3 months after the date the extension is issued/granted or 3 months after the actual date of the extension?

According to Thai Visa but I got my extension last week and no one at the IO said or mentioned anything about it.  If I'm supposed to know I have no idea how.  

20 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

From the date your extension application is accepted.

1 hour ago, MichaelJohn said:

Yes

3 months after the extension was granted would be my assumption but who knows.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could do that.

But what f they ask to see the book for the previous years extension and you didn’t maintain the 800/400 balance even though you’ve already started monthly 65k. Too early for this to have been tested. 

On 7/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, elviajero said:

At the moment they can show “leniency”. You might get away with a couple of months, but equally, as you're not a new retiree, they could insist on anything up to the last 12 months.

I’m not aware of anyone having posted that they’ve encountered leniency over the 12m issue

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

But what f they ask to see the book for the previous years extension and you didn’t maintain the 800/400 balance even though you’ve already started monthly 65k. Too early for this to have been tested. 

The 800k baht for 3 months would certainly would have to be maintained to be shown in the bank book when applying for the next extension.

After that it should be possible to not to maintain the 400k baht if transfering the 65k baht every month. Best though to contact immigration before doing it.

3 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m not aware of anyone having posted that they’ve encountered leniency over the 12m issue

I have seen reports of leniency for not having the 12 months of transfers.

But there will be none next year.

16 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I agree that the safest approach would be to keep the 400K until the next extension based on income is granted and that is what I plan to do when I switch from 800k to income method in future. If planning to do otherwise it might be prudent to first check with your Imm Office.