How is your daily routine as expat looks like?

DAN0

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why's that not a surprise to me?

Probably because that's the, in Western eyes a bit "old-fashioned", way it works in Thailand...????

I know many a Thai girl saying: »If a man cannot provide, then I don't need a man«, or something similar with same meaning, and it's valid for both farang men, and Thai men...:whistling:

I'm Okay to let an "extra person" sleep in my house, as this extra person also provide some bit of housekeeping care, and takes care of my daughter – well a mutual shared daughter – in old time a Western man would also be the provider for a family, or the hunter before "old time", and the female would keep house and make food. Modern Western life-style is more share and stress. My girlfriend and I live, what we consider the best choice picked from "two Worlds", or from two time periods...????

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty routine really , live in a small town 3 hours out of BKK and Pattaya , so small , not a 7/11 in sight.
Days spent walking weekdays, swim after , watching League on weekends otherwise it's YouTube, chatting with friends on Msngr, Facebook, checking the ASX, teaching GFs 5 year old nephew English,weekly shopping at Big C and Makro 40 mins away, fresh veges n fruits from local markets every few days and most importantly am pestered by GF once or twice a week to be pleasured.
Visit Pattaya for a few days monthly for my sanity.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have nothing to do and all day to do it. ????

After a good many years in the army and a lifetime after of working 12 hour day and night shifts, working weekends, Bank holidays like Christmas and New Year, trying to sleep on hot Summer days as you have a 12 hour night shift to attend to.

Having the luxury to finally do what I want to do when I want to do it is like a breath of fresh air. I'm done with routines.

I believe the 4 hour cycling part, Churches can be quite far here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

So many non beer drinking 4 hour bycicle riding coffee drinking vegetarian fanatics haha what nonsense emoji16.png

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Was, for me

Wake up whenever, eat banana for breakfast, watch tv.

If it was Monday, help the cleaner make the bed and sit outside while she cleaned the room, watch tv.

Go on internet to warble on TVF.

Go to supermarket/ DVD stall then Geckos for dinner ( if it was hamburger special night ). If not Geckos I'd heat something in the microwave to eat.

Watch tv/ DVD or read a book till tired.

Sleep.

My life was pretty routine, but I wasn't bored, and it was always warm.

I wasn't interested in paying for expensive drinks in a bar and being hassled by bargirls or drunk expats.

Other than movies at the mall, there isn't much to do in Chiang Mai for someone not interested in temples or restaurants, once all the usual sights and tours had been done. Doi Inthanon was a great tour, but not something to do regularly.

I lead a far more active life now, but it's cold and I'd rather be in LOS.

very honest and interesting response! why did you left if i may ask and would you rather go back to that life routine you've mentioned above? ???? 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get why farang guys have a wife who doesn't work for her own money but let her do her own thing instead of looking after said farang. My wife worked for her own money, and so I could have time to myself, but if I was giving her money I'd expect her to be taking care of me all day, as her "job" would be the one that paid her.

your opinion does make sense to me.. however i'm curious to know why you said "your wife worked".. are you divorced? why if i may ask 

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

Probably because that's the, in Western eyes a bit "old-fashioned", way it works in Thailand...????

I know many a Thai girl saying: »If a man cannot provide, then I don't need a man«, or something similar with same meaning, and it's valid for both farang men, and Thai men...:whistling:

I'm Okay to let an "extra person" sleep in my house, as this extra person also provide some bit of housekeeping care, and takes care of my daughter – well a mutual shared daughter – in old time a Western man would also be the provider for a family, or the hunter before "old time", and the female would keep house and make food. Modern Western life-style is more share and stress. My girlfriend and I live, what we consider the best choice picked from "two Worlds", or from two time periods...????

that makes sense.. i would also add that the reason many people in countries like Thailand and similar share the mindset of "the man shall provide" is due to them growing in a poor environments with a very few opportunities to actually get out of poverty and therefore naturally they would prefer a man who can take care of them  and their descendants if it's possible..

7 hours ago, gaviny said:

Pretty routine really , live in a small town 3 hours out of BKK and Pattaya , so small , not a 7/11 in sight.
Days spent walking weekdays, swim after , watching League on weekends otherwise it's YouTube, chatting with friends on Msngr, Facebook, checking the ASX, teaching GFs 5 year old nephew English,weekly shopping at Big C and Makro 40 mins away, fresh veges n fruits from local markets every few days and most importantly am pestered by GF once or twice a week to be pleasured.
Visit Pattaya for a few days monthly for my sanity.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

interesting like that lifestyle mix of everything and pretty balanced which shows you're pretty content and not seems to abuse anything.. may i know where did you meet your gf? you plan to marry her? or to have children with her? lastly how do you find pattaya today compared to previous years (since you've moved to los)? ???? 

2 minutes ago, DAN0 said:

that makes sense.. i would also add that the reason many people in countries like Thailand and similar share the mindset of "the man shall provide" is due to them growing in a poor environments with a very few opportunities to actually get out of poverty and therefore naturally they would prefer a man who can take care of them  and their descendants if it's possible..

Yes, for many an Isaan farm girl – or girl from another area in similar financial position – a farang boyfriend/husband is like winning in the lottery.

But so it also is in the Western world, I know numerous ladies that are dreaming about dating a billionaire. Females seem historically to prefer to marry up in social level, and gladly use their youth and charm to obtain it...????

–Hm, presume the latter is a major reason why many a farang man – me included – so easily leave his brain in the airport and fall in love, or at least believe it's love...:whistling:

On 7/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, DAN0 said:

Hey everyone,

Yeah Hi, Seriously? Do you actually believe people move to another country, retire in another country or work in another country do that for having a special daily ruotine. My belief is that most of us do that to get away from just that.

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes, for many an Isaan farm girl – or girl from another area in similar financial position – a farang boyfriend/husband is like winning in the lottery.

But so it also is in the Western world, I know numerous ladies that are dreaming about dating a billionaire. Females seem historically to prefer to marry up in social level, and gladly use their youth and charm to obtain it...????

–Hm, presume the latter is a major reason why many a farang man – me included – so easily leave his brain in the airport and fall in love, or at least believe it's love...:whistling:

exactly! i liked your comparison to the west.. the average guy in the west is basically just like the average man in one of thailand's provinces for many western women... luckily thanks to airplanes and inequality, we now have a few more opportunities ???? 

On 7/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, giddyup said:

Is it really necessary to copy that whole post to make an 8 word reply?

Better than boredom .. Actually reading  forums takes up most my of day .

The rest is with my kindle and I .   Bored  in paradise , No way ...

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Money caint buy  you love .. 

However that said , it can buy a lot of lust ..555

7 minutes ago, elliss said:

if you still talk about love, i bet you've not been in thailand yet ????  ????

20 minutes ago, DAN0 said:

if you still talk about love, i bet you've not been in thailand yet ????  ????

I am a newbee , only been here 15 years .. How about you ?

Done my apprenticeship in patty , and graduated in Isaan, degree in life experience in Los..

PS ,  I learned to speak thai.    Proved to be very cost effective .

Wow DANO ,  7 posts ,  welcome your input .... 555

4 minutes ago, elliss said:

I am a newbee , only been here 15 years .. How about you ?

Done my apprenticeship in patty , and graduated in Isaan, degree in life experience in Los..

PS ,  I learned to speak thai.    Proved to be very cost effective ...

so presumably, that's the long time you've been there that made you 'believe' in love again..

unfortunately (or fortunately) according to current neuroscience research using fmri, eeg, pet scans etc, as well as advancements in biology research in humans as well as animals experiments, we now know that 'love' is just oxytocin chemicals getting released in order to make you want to reproduce and so on.. simply evolutionary survival instincts... nothing more nothing less ???? ????  

i guess it's the most scientific post every been posted in tvf but yeah even tvf is advancing for the worse ????  

28 minutes ago, elliss said:

Money cannot buy love, but money can buy something that looks and feels exactly like it...????

so presumably, that's the long time you've been there that made you 'believe' in love again..

unfortunately (or fortunately) according to current neuroscience research using fmri, eeg, pet scans etc, as well as advancements in biology research in humans as well as animals experiments, we now know that 'love' is just oxytocin chemicals getting released in order to make you want to reproduce and so on.. simply evolutionary survival instincts... nothing more nothing less ???? ????  

i guess it's the most scientific post every been posted in tvf but yeah even tvf is advancing for the worse ????  

Time you had another brain scan, hope they find something ....

8 minutes ago, elliss said:

Time you had another brain scan, hope they find something ....

hopefully they will find your love ????????????????????????????????????

hopefully they will find your love ????????????????????????????????????

No chance mate ,

Lady thai not want love me , i am from UK , have small money , gbp not good , for take care lady thai.

However , that said i do have a good heart ,  sometimes .

Just unlucky in love , happy ....555

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's called Briffault's Law...

Briffault’s law maintains that “the female, not the male, determines all the conditions of the animal family. Where the female can derive no benefit from association with the male, no such association takes place.” https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/machiavellians-gulling-the-rubes/201610/briffaults-law-women-rule

Back to the OP, I do think this is one of the most important questions that you need to ask yourself when planning your retirement...

1st time I retired, I was 40,  went from working 12+ hour days 6-7 days a week to nothing to do (was living in UK at that time) so was climbing the walls & went back to work after 3 months (though for myself, working 8-10 hour days, 5 days a week)

2nd time I was 48, been living in Singapore for 6 years & seriously bit by the travel bug so traveled around Australasia for 15 months until a mate asked me to help out on a project for a couple of years, I realized I'd spent a lot more money than I'd planned, missed Singapore & he was a good mate so back I go. 

3rd time (Next Jan, I'll be 53) will hopefully be a charm, I've budgeted enough to do a reasonable amount of travel but not sure yet whether I'll do an extensive trip to somewhere like LATAM before settling down or continue with my Condo in Bangkok & do shorter trips from there.

Other than travel, I love to walk, Books/Music/TV/Movie,  IT Geek and hobbies where I can learn something new (current one is lockpicking) plus lots of beer drinking & chasing women ???? 

Good luck to everybody planning their retirement, & thanks to the OP for starting this thread... the "Am I Ready for Retirement" is probably the 2nd most important question you need to ask yourself after "Can I Afford to Retire"

MTV

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your comment.

However, different people may have different priorities. I don't want, and need, anyone to take care of me – not before I get old, and then I will ask for help by that time, hopefully many years from now – so therefore we each have our own and different interests, and other interests that we share. We don't need to sit on each other, and we enjoy when we actually almost sitting on each other...????

Furthermore, my lovely girlfriend has enough money of her own that her dividends, and rent, can provide for personal needs of various items – she don't need to ask for money for a new this or that, or if she want to buy something for me...???? – my providing is for us as family, and my daughter. I'm for example the one providing a house, including the daily ongoing household expenses, and paying the school fees.

We are probably lucky, and both very happy with the way that we decided to prioritize our lives...????

I was referring to the farangs that do pay their wives to do whatever they like because the wives have no money of their own.

Obviously that didn't apply to you.

Well done.

18 minutes ago, jerojero said:

As they say, when retired get busy living or get busy dying. You the latter?

A hard lesson I have learned is that if one does not have family, one has no reason to hang around. Whatever I do is just for myself- no one else cares, and it's all a bit pointless. When I die, everything I care about will be burnt/ dumped or sold to strangers.

I find myself in God's waiting room.

Different when young as there's always the hope that eventually one will meet the right person and that will give life meaning in old age, but when one picks the wrong one and it's too late to start again what does one do then?

10 hours ago, DAN0 said:

Everything we are and feel is a result of chemical changes being made in the brain.

Must be disappointing for those that believe we have self determination, as our genes dictate what we are.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A hard lesson I have learned is that if one does not have family, one has no reason to hang around. Whatever I do is just for myself- no one else cares, and it's all a bit pointless. When I die, everything I care about will be burnt/ dumped or sold to strangers.

I find myself in God's waiting room.

Different when young as there's always the hope that eventually one will meet the right person and that will give life meaning in old age, but when one picks the wrong one and it's too late to start again what does one do then?

You keep going forward, & make the best of what you have.

Or

You give up.

Take the first option, please. You'll have brighter days, I promise.

15 minutes ago, faraday said:

You keep going forward, & make the best of what you have.

Or

You give up.

Take the first option, please. You'll have brighter days, I promise.

I've always made the best of what I have, and that hasn't changed. What has changed is that I no longer have a future that could be different from what I have now. Before there was always hope that next day would be better, more adventures to come. Now it's just hope that next day won't be worse, and adventures are no more.

Don't get me wrong; I relish the glories of sunsets, appreciate being warm, enjoy movies, love chatting with friends, relish gardening and making things that will outlive me. It's just that it's obviously only filling in time. 

Which brings me back to my original comment that a family is what makes it worth while when the adventures and world travel is in the past.

Couple of days ago a good friend some years younger than I had a stroke in front of me. That certainly made me think about what my own future holds for me.

Archived