Pig & Whistle

Bangkok Barry

I've heard that the Pig & Whistle has closed. That's a surprise, considering it has been there almost for ever and was the first building on Soi 7 (according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago). I've always eaten there several times, breakfast and dinner, every time I was in Pattaya. Stayed there too more than once.

Anyone know the reason why? Will/has it reopened under new ownership? I did a search here but came up with nothing. Which also surprised me.

The one in Jomtien is still open and doing a roaring trade.

I've heard that the Pig & Whistle has closed. That's a surprise, considering it has been there almost for ever and was the first building on Soi 7 (according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago). I've always eaten there several times, breakfast and dinner, every time I was in Pattaya. Stayed there too more than once.

Anyone know the reason why? Will/has it reopened under new ownership? I did a search here but came up with nothing. Which also surprised me.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago)

I knew the original owner fairly well, went to a few parties at his house, nice guy - didn't he pass on some years back, thinking it must be at least 15 years ago?

5 hours ago, CGW said:

I knew the original owner fairly well, went to a few parties at his house, nice guy - didn't he pass on some years back, thinking it must be at least 15 years ago?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even remember his name. But he was indeed a nice guy. I was going to write a book about expats running businesses there, but soon realised it was going to cost me more than a book could possibly have made. Most books don't make money and mostly just serve as an ego-boost for the writer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CGW said:

No, I don't think so.  I was drinking with him at New Pattaya Plaza 15 years ago.  

I was a little surprised when I saw this, it must be a month now it has been closed. I had been in there not long prior. Not very many customers but usual good standard. The owner perhaps saw the writing on the wall, soi 7-8 has been slowly dying for years, and certainly UK tourists numbers dropping and being squeezed financially by a strong baht. Similarly over on Soi Pothole, the Sea Side restaurant is downsizing, trying to rent out half of it's 2 shop premises. The one off soi 7 closed some time back. (having dogs wandering around when you were eating was unappetizing!).

• Like 1

Was or is it the same owner as the one in Jomtien which, in my opinion, does one of the best brekkies in town, nice juicy bacon & sausages. I seem to remember Jimmy White had something to do with it.

We've had many a good time in the Soi 7 Pig & Whistle 15 years ago!!   But IMHO no longer a loss.

The likes of the Retox group are a success and have pulled in the spending punters.

All these seudo British theme pubs in Pattaya and the Darkside don't even bother to 
sell British beer or ales !!

Some are too lazy to provide or even tune into sports.

Some have never changed their business model, selling locally supplied boring lager and ciders 
and still relying on earnings from overpriced Thai food for the 'teraks'.

Some are totally oblivious to the seismic change in the Fx rate and oilfield employment since they opened 
all those years ago.

Some even have kerbside signage and menus in Chinese and Indian.  ????
cheers

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Because The Pig and Whistle wasn't. A few hotels are older. 

I wonder why the original owner, the man who first opened the pub, would lie to me. I doubt very much that the hotels on Soi 7 are older. They certainly don't look it. But it would need someone who lived in Pattaya 25-30 or more years ago to confirm either way. But, actually, I don't care. I'm just repeating what the owner told me.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

I heard Rosie o Gradys next door is owned by Indians now, I haven't been down but that's the rumour.

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't believe that is true unless it happened recently. IE in the last 2 months. Although I wonder how it has survived so long, always empty, unless the accommodation kept it afloat.

Rumour was Pig and Whistle was to be taken over by Indians. Let's face it, that will be the market soon. 

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

I heard Rosie o Gradys next door is owned by Indians now, I haven't been down but that's the rumour.

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I thought they would go pop before the Pig and Whistle. TV showing only BBC World, food OK but not special. They seem to get quite a lot of breakfast custom sat on their outside terrace, but inside is a lonely place.

Edited by champers

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No. Do you? If the original owner told me that it was the first building on Soi 7 I have no reason to think he was lying. He probably told me the year it was built but my meeting with him was a couple of decades ago and I didn't keep that information in my memory. Unless anyone can prove to me that it wasn't then I'll go with what he told me. I certainly believe that hotels on the Soi do not pre-date it. I even saw the one opposite being constructed.

You're decades out buddy lol literally

The one opposite was built this century !!

I'd hazard a guess Pig and Whistle itself was around 20 years old as a location. I have seen videos taken from the top of Soi 7 in the early 1980's

You're confusing the arrival of the beer bars replacing what was a field in the early 90's with buildings that were at the top end of 7 probably dating back to the 1970's

Edited by Chivas

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder why the original owner, the man who first opened the pub, would lie to me. I doubt very much that the hotels on Soi 7 are older. They certainly don't look it. But it would need someone who lived in Pattaya 25-30 or more years ago to confirm either way.

You've already been told. The buildings at top and bottom pre date Pig and Whistle by decades