Social Security

Just trying to understand

a). What the level of social security contributions are due when you work in Thailand. 

b). What benefits you are entitled to from contributions and does it differ if you are a foreigner?

Thanks 

Answer:

a) You will contribute 5 per cent of your salary, up to a maximum of 750 baht per month.

b) Benefits outlined above, chiefly free or almost free healthcare at your appointed hospital, or any hospital they refer you too.

There is no difference in the entitlement between a Thai and a Non Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Answer:

a) You will contribute 5 per cent of your salary, up to a maximum of 750 baht per month.

b) Benefits outlined above, chiefly free or almost free healthcare at your appointed hospital, or any hospital they refer you too.

There is no difference in the entitlement between a Thai and a Non Thai.

Thanks for the great replies both. Sounds a good scheme especially for those who don't have healthcare.  A couple of follow-ups if you don't mind.... 

1) Is this available if you work for any organisation in TH?

2) Is there a qualifying period before you can claim any benefits?

3) Mentioned above that you can continue paying when you retire. Are you able to continue paying if your job finished but you aren't retired, say you are on a marriage visa for example.

4). Is the healthcare the same as the Thai 30baht scheme do you know. If not how does it differ?

1. It is available if you have a tax number, a work permit and your employer correctly deducts and submits the payment. That's nearly all employers in Thailand, however there a very limited exceptions such as Embassies and agencies of the UN.

2. 90 days I believe, but I'm not absolutely sure of this.

3. I'm not certain. Perhaps @Sheryl could answer this.

4. It is not the same. There are three types of public healthcare available: a. The 30 baht scheme, which is available to Thai citizens who have no other cover. b. The Social Fund scheme for workers. c. The Civil Service scheme for government employees.

In practice I don't know if you get more coverage with the workers scheme as opposed to the 30 baht scheme. @Sheryl?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

1. It is available if you have a tax number, a work permit and your employer correctly deducts and submits the payment. That's nearly all employers in Thailand, however there a very limited exceptions such as Embassies and agencies of the UN.

2. 90 days I believe, but I'm not absolutely sure of this.

3. I'm not certain. Perhaps @Sheryl could answer this.

4. It is not the same. There are three types of public healthcare available: a. The 30 baht scheme, which is available to Thai citizens who have no other cover. b. The Social Fund scheme for workers. c. The Civil Service scheme for government employees.

In practice I don't know if you get more coverage with the workers scheme as opposed to the 30 baht scheme. @Sheryl?

Thanks for the swift responses all. I recall reading this SS health benefit isn't available to workers at private schools. Is this true or is it a myth?

On 7/19/2019 at 7:36 AM, stament said:

What benefits you are entitled to from contributions and does it differ if you are a foreigner?

Foreigners have same rights as Thais.

If your employer don't supply a Social Security, you can join voluntary.

The fee is 10% of the salary, minimum just under 500 baht a month, and maximum 1,500 baht a month. Normally the employer pays half, so you would pay 5% of your salary, and maximum 750 baht a month.

A benefit from Social Security is, that if you continue to stay in Thailand after work, you can keep the SS going for a low voluntary fee, and keep your health benefits, which might replace a health insurance, if you can accept the hospital you are assigned to by SS.

These two links gives you all the information you might need to know:

Thailand - Social Security and Welfare (by Expat Focus)

Social Security Programs Throughout the World: Asia and the Pacific, 2014, Thailand (by USA SS)

Thanks @Sheryl Is there any limit to age for employer's contributions assuming I'm still working?

I expect to be working well past normal retirement age (possibly until 70, I really like what I do). Will my employer be able to make the 50% contribution or will I have to make all the payment?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Thanks @Sheryl Is there any limit to age for employer's contributions assuming I'm still working?

I expect to be working well past normal retirement age (possibly until 70, I really like what I do). Will my employer be able to make the 50% contribution or will I have to make all the payment?

What do you do pray tell?????

I can't wait to retire 

6 minutes ago, stament said:

What do you do pray tell?????

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, I don't directly say who I work for or what I do, but I don't hide it either. Read a few of my posts ????

And I can't retire 'coz I got screwed by the LM Investment Fund ????

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, I don't directly say who I work for or what I do, but I don't hide it either. Read a few of my posts ????

And I can't retire 'coz I got screwed by the LM Investment Fund ????

I like living. Sorry to hear about your misfortune