Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Seems to be a big bill for what appears to be minor injuries. 

I'd like to see what cost them 300k+

Here you are, "the young bride suffered a head injury and deep cut to her leg, which could have become inflected, in the accident.  Her wound, which went right down to the bone needed invasive surgery to remove dead tissue. Thusband also needed the same procedure on his knee".

Edited by Just Weird

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

Emergency speed boats cost some money. 

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Alternative idea,

Stop ripping tourists off by putting them in expensive private hospitals.

Perhaps as they had insurance, they were transported there as a matter of convenience and see quicker

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

when go fund me started it was for needy people, with real problems, people go on vacation and expect others to pay for their mistakes, wonder what are the standards to open a go fund me account.

According to the GoFundMe website:

We see people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, friends and family, or even complete strangers in random acts of kindness. People raise money for just about everything ...

As far as I can tell, GoFundMe can be used for whatever you want - it's up to the person creating their page to try and persuade people that their cause is worth donating to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

For a total hip replacement done here 2 years ago, I paid 130k. Private room for a week was about 10k.

A bed bath by 2 nurses was included. I really did not enjoy it, despite my lifelong fantasy!

Think they were ripped off, if they had to pay 300k.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, but they probably had the need to use them within the first 100 meters of hiring the bike so unless it was a sudden failure at the scene they would have known and who in their right mind rents a bike without checking that the brakes work?

in a country that is the world leader in motorcycle deaths, that would be the first thing I'd check..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the GoFundMe website:

As far as I can tell, GoFundMe can be used for whatever you want - it's up to the person creating their page to try and persuade people that their cause is worth donating to.

please help me ….  please set the Go fund me up for my situation … 

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't see any evidence of surgery, it doesn't say broken bones.

More like stitches and road rash from the looks of the bandages.

From an earlier post:

the young bride suffered a head injury and deep cut to her leg, which could have become inflected, in the accident.  Her wound, which went right down to the bone needed invasive surgery to remove dead tissue. The husband also needed the same procedure on his knee.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Needed £6675 for the hospital. I wonder how much they just spent on their wedding? 

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Why is she still Ms Harrison? Just wondering. 

Must have spent a bundle as they could not afford the same last name

• Haha 1

OK.  so let them keep the passports.  Go to the embassy and say you lost your passport, get a temporary travel home passport document and leave?  Or will they physically bar and block them at the hospital door from leaving?  Still, a couple can't come up with 6k of money?  Can't ask friends or family?  No savings?  No credit card cash advance?  getting pretty amazed at the low level of finances so many travelers seem to have, or at least claim so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

I doubt the British insurer would of paid 6000 pound for stitches..

No but some medications, doctor's time, cat scan or MRI or x-rays for sure, hospital over night stays..  it adds up even if not necessarily severe.  Some broken toes since they were probably wearing those fine motorcycle riding safety shoes known as Flip Flops!

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Because that's a choice she has!

Probably still Ms Harrison because she used her existing passport prior to being married?  Probably did not change the passport yet between the time of getting married and going on the honeymoon, same for driver license?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The new policy, which will reportedly cost just 20 baht for 30 days cover is expected to be rolled out before the end of the year.

Great!.... That means those of us who are retired in this country may expect to get coverage for 240 Bt. per annum?

• Haha 2