Sterling on back foot due to growing concern about no-deal Brexit

webfact

Gunna give us your extensive knowledge  and all the true facts on your statement
"we all know the serious consequences of a crash out " ?
Please let us know exactly what these are, what is the cost, how long these will last for ?
But dont forget to also give the true facts about the cost of staying in the EU, and what the changes caused by the Lisbon Treaty will cost and how that will effect the UK
Still waiting for some remainer to give us poor brexit idiots the facts, but only keep hearing silly remarks, lies and opinions 
Sorry about the idiot thing.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, kingdong said:

seems theres a bad recession in the post for uk,we,ve had a boom based on rising property prices,buy to let has become a big industry due to the housing shortage caused in no small part by the economic migration,and property prices are going  down as the 1st time buyer can,t get on the property ladder,and every other advert on tv seems to be release your equity or for pay day loans, deja vu? no just cast your mind back to the late 80s and to all you builders out there who won,t get out of bed for less than £200 a day,hope you,ve all been saving for a rainy day.

200 pounds a day ??

I wouldn't get out of bed 15 years ago for that amount  !!

Used to be a minimum of 320 a day which is why the remainers stuffing up the exchange rate doesn't bother me

• Like 1

We must hold our nerve...... the markets are confused given BoJo's mendacity that a deal may well be done. Wife holding off sending cash at the moment. Good job I bought 4 mill baht at 42 last October partly for a condo purchase. Just hit the 42 as well it went to 40 very soon after.  A distressed Brit seller desperate for his 800k cut his studio down from 1.9 over a year to 1.3 in the end and paid half our fees from company owned to Thai chanote in a well maintained but old block in Jomtien. I'd call that a Brexit bonus. We're looking to upgrade the studio to a one bed and my missus has several friends up to buy our studio. So more pain on the pound front could be good when we return in December. Keep up the good work Brexiteers more pain means more buying opportunities when we go back. Help my wife get the one bedroom , 15th floor , sea view condo she deserves. 
I get the impression that a significant number of Brexiteers here are writing from their UK bunkers and so any reference to Thai property passes them by. That's the trouble with drinking the Nationalist Kool-Aid; you retreat from the overseas adventure and lose yourself in a nonsense cult watching nonsense Conspiracy Theory videos. Shame really.

200 pounds a day ??
I wouldn't get out of bed 15 years ago for that amount  !!
Used to be a minimum of 320 a day which is why the remainers stuffing up the exchange rate doesn't bother me
The remainers stuffing up the exchange rate? Oh no! Its Conspiracy time again. Better stay in bed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I get the impression that a significant number of Brexiteers here are writing from their UK bunkers and so any reference to Thai property passes them by. That's the trouble with drinking the Nationalist Kool-Aid; you retreat from the overseas adventure and lose yourself in a nonsense cult watching nonsense Conspiracy Theory videos. Shame really.

Jesus!  Looks like the bottle is off the Lao Khao rather early today....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Tis 11am in the UK and I am as sober as a judge. 

Down and down it goes where it stops nobody knows ? 

37.21 Thai Baht 

Could have fooled me. No. Nobody knows. Even Bomber.

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We must hold our nerve...... the markets are confused given BoJo's mendacity that a deal may well be done. Wife holding off sending cash at the moment. Good job I bought 4 mill baht at 42 last October partly for a condo purchase. Just hit the 42 as well it went to 40 very soon after.  A distressed Brit seller desperate for his 800k cut his studio down from 1.9 over a year to 1.3 in the end and paid half our fees from company owned to Thai chanote in a well maintained but old block in Jomtien. I'd call that a Brexit bonus. We're looking to upgrade the studio to a one bed and my missus has several friends up to buy our studio. So more pain on the pound front could be good when we return in December. Keep up the good work Brexiteers more pain means more buying opportunities when we go back. Help my wife get the one bedroom , 15th floor , sea view condo she deserves. 

Brexit or not, it looks like there will be thousands more opportunities in the Thai property market soon. The longer you can wait, the better the opportunity is likely to be. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Exactly if they have got to their dotage with f'all and are unhappy then after Brexit they will still be unhappy and have f'all.  Their answer lies not in the EU but a long hard look in the mirror. Scary stuff though seeing 'the masses' being manipulated by rich interests who will act against their own modest self interest. At least Marxists have a coherent philosophy and pretty much a correct  analysis of society even if it is probably mostly a failed economic model. There is nothing more the elites like than the working classes wrapping themselves in the flag and the Trump's , Farage's and now the Tories have caught on big time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Brexit or not, it looks like there will be thousands more opportunities in the Thai property market soon. The longer you can wait, the better the opportunity is likely to be. 

True methinks you maybe a disruptive capitalist with dosh who is using Brexit to enrich yourself rather than as some desperate last resort dream to cling onto. Poor Brexiteers take note there are fifth columnists amongst your ranks. This is more true than reality.......

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

True methinks you maybe a disruptive capitalist with dosh who is using Brexit to enrich yourself rather than as some desperate last resort dream to cling onto. Poor Brexiteers take note there are fifth columnists amongst your ranks. This is more true than reality.......

I don't mind admitting that I wish I could use Brexit to enrich myself. But for now, my few paltry pounds are just as crap as anyone else's.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I thought I was first in with the "nobody knows" admission but, whatever. I can't remember any leavers asking this question. I acknowledge that the prospect of no deal is negative for the Pound, I always have. But what is driving it down is a combination of both real fear of economic calamity, along with a big slice of opportunistic (potentially profitable) speculation, as we saw 3 years ago.

I also still maintain that once this Brexit Circus tent is finally packed up, then the Pound will recover to pre referendum strength, at least. 

All MOHO of course.

If post-Brexit the GBP goes over 53 Baht, I will buy a beer for everyone on this forum.

EDIT: but I'll be the one drinking them.

Edited by SteveK

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I thought I was first in with the "nobody knows" admission but, whatever. I can't remember any leavers asking this question. I acknowledge that the prospect of no deal is negative for the Pound, I always have. But what is driving it down is a combination of both real fear of economic calamity, along with a big slice of opportunistic (potentially profitable) speculation, as we saw 3 years ago.

I also still maintain that once this Brexit Circus tent is finally packed up, then the Pound will recover to pre referendum strength, at least. 

All MOHO of course.

The economic calamity hasn’t happened yet.

On what basis you believe the UK economy can support a return in the strength of the pound as the UK heads towards being a trading nation without trade deals is a mystery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

I'm getting more and more convinced Brexit is a death cult. They don't care if it crashes the UK economy, puts their family out of a job, crashes the pound to the value of the pesato, breaks up the UK and trashes the UK constitution.

As long as they get their precious Brexit the rest of the UK can burn. 

For UK expats here the pound is now down one third of it's pre-referendum value - that's a hell of a lot to lose if you are on a UK based pension. 

I this week spoke with a neighbor who is in the process of packing up to head back to the UK, forced home by the exchange rate.

I’m sure very many are struggling.

A price worth paying?!

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If post-Brexit the GBP goes over 53 Baht, I will buy a beer for everyone on this forum.

EDIT: but I'll be the one drinking them.

You will deserve to get well smashed.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The economic calamity hasn’t happened yet.

On what basis you believe the UK economy can support a return in the strength of the pound as the UK heads towards being a trading nation without trade deals is a mystery.

Well I expect that at least half of the bounce back with be the removal of speculation due to uncertainty. The rest will depend on what deals will be done and who those deals are done with. But trade and trade deals there will be, as history shows and necessity dictates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Well I expect that at least half of the bounce back with be the removal of speculation due to uncertainty. The rest will depend on what deals will be done and who those deals are done with. But trade and trade deals there will be, as history shows and necessity dictates.

And in the meantime, no Brexiteer can give a realistic estimate of how long it will take for the UK to establish trade deals.

And that’s putting aside what kind of deal a UK begging cap in hand for trade deals it desperately needs.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tebee said:

I'm getting more and more convinced Brexit is a death cult. They don't care if it crashes the UK economy, puts their family out of a job, crashes the pound to the value of the pesato, breaks up the UK and trashes the UK constitution.

For UK expats here the pound is now down one third of it's pre-referendum value - that's a hell of a lot to lose if you are on a UK based pension. 

You presume to accuse leavers of not caring but that is not true. And remember that, in Thailand at least, the drop in the Pound is not only due to Brexit but also a similar but slightly less rise of the Baht.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And in the meantime, no Brexiteer can give a realistic estimate of how long it will take for the UK to establish trade deals.

And that’s putting aside what kind of deal a UK begging cap in hand for trade deals it desperately needs.

Fair enough. I can only guesstimate about the timeframe for deals. But trade will continue in the meantime. 

• Like 1

Just now, nauseus said:

Fair enough. I can only guesstimate about the timeframe for deals. But trade will continue in the meantime. 

At a price.

The US President has already stated that the UK’s NHS must be included in any trade deal and assured the UK there will be no trade deal if the UK continues it’s moves to tax US online businesses.

Wait until you see what they have in store for Britain’s agricultural sectors.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Good to see you back Tebee and you're all right. And all this for much less than nothing. Most of the diehards think they have nothing to lose but as the genius Cummings said about David Davies "they are thick as mince" - past caring what they think now - happy to lob thought grenades over the barricades - they have won nothing unlike some of the rich vultures circling round the carcase of the UK smelling huge profits in the volatility. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1