The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a West Coast supporter you're entitled to be pissed Old One, Personally I think the Didak affair won't finish there, and if any criminal charges are laid, particularly in regarding to gun use, I believe it could end his career. Sure Collingwood have gone to great lengths to bring in damage control, no less though than the Eagles who denied Cousins had a problem right up to where he went into rehab.

Roll models and responsibility to club and supporters aside, where Didak surely let his club down more than Cousins, I think the main worry with Cousins was that he used drugs to enhance his on field performance, and if he did then he got off lightly. In Olympic sports it would have been automatically assumed he did and he'd have been gone for a loooong time.

Our legal system says innocent until proven guilty, and neither player has been charged with an offence. Both consorted with criminals, for what else are people who sell drugs? And for that matter, who else but bikies supply illegal amphetamines in Australia?

What I'd like you to consider is, has Cousins benefited personally from the "suspension"? Do you think he should have played on and had rehab during the week? All those after game pressures? "Come and have a drink Benny, one won't hurt you?" Unfortunately being a great player doesn't require commonsense, and the Eagles have got a few like that.

Most if not all people involved in drug addiction treatment and counseling advise complete removal of the subject from their usual surroundings, and usually a lot longer than 6 months.

I think what pisses us of in the West is the amount of attention given to Non Vic club players for off field behaviour.....they just dont let up on the players here....

Some others in trouble in recent times....Voss, Fevola, Gehrig to name a few...Players from other clubs get into trouble as well. We just dont hear about it as much or as often.

To answer some of your other points,

There was no proof that Cousins used performance enhancing drugs, and he has never failed a urine test for any illegal drugs. I think Cuz has benefitted from his time out...he may realise that he is not bigger than the game...something that happens when a player is given star status at a young age in many sports. He also knows that for the rest of his career he will have the most restrictions ever placed on a player before in the games history.

Yes, our teams here have had some players with problems off field.....every team has their Farmer's, Lynch's, Embley's, Cousin's etc... We also have have our Judd's, Wirrapunda's, Braun's, Bell's etc who spend time promoting the game and helping youngsters in the games development...maybe the press could give some time to these players who have a positive impact on the game.

Consorting with crims....I noticed a few WC players at the Danny Green fight the other night...I can assure you that some of our more notable crims were there as well as a few bikies. Should these players be castigated because they happen to enjoy the same pursuits as these other guys?

Bikies are not the only makers and suppliers of amphetamines in Australia and not all bikies are involved in the drug trade. In my time as a Court Officer I have seen many people from many backgrounds in court on sell and supply/manufacture charges...only a small percetage were bikies.

I agree with most of what you say, as a non Vic club supporter I realise that we get a caning in the Vic press. By the way, Voss played for a non Vic club last time I looked.

I think Fevola got a lot more than he deserved actually, getting drunk in an Irish pub doesn't seem like a hanging offence to me. Personally I think that the sooner they get rid of that international rules crap the better, it's an embarrassment.

It's generally well documented that the outlaw motorcycle clubs control the lions share of the amphetamines trade in Australia. (I could make a joke about the Eagle's share here but I don't think it would go down too well), I don't doubt you see a few small fish in your line of work and if it seems like a lot it's because the big fish don't get caught. All organised crime groups have a very good support system, not the least being the code of silence and the intimidation of witnesses.

The problem with your players in the West is they're high profile, everybody's watching them including the local press. Melbourne is full of AFL players plus every other type of celebrity, you need to do something pretty special to stay in the press for a week there.

We knew the rules when we came into the AFL, Clubs like the Eagles and the Crows got an easy ride in, Port and Fremantle had to work for their spot, but we all knew that every time a vote came up there would be ten Victorian clubs to beat and we knew that from the beginning, and it ain't gonna change.

We've beaten them at their own game by dominating the AFL this century and that's the only way to do it. Moaning about umpire bias, press victimization of non Vic club players etc etc is a waste of time.

Finally.... thank God they say... I think any decision on Ben Cousins playing future should be out of the hands of the people who stand to profit by it, the club, himself, and left to the extremely expensive rehab people. What else are they being payed for?

Probably a bit late now but maybe one of the moderators could add 3 polls to this thread to make it a bit more interesting:

Which team do you support?

Which team is going to win the home and away series?

Which team is going to take the Grand Final?

Edited by bdenner

Probably a bit late now but maybe one of the moderators could add 3 polls to this thread to make it a bit more interesting:

Which team do you support?

Which team is going to win the home and away series?

Which team is going to take the Grand Final?

Poll added.

:o

Geelong 8.2 13.6 15.11 20.18 138

Western Bulldogs 3.1 4.4 6.8 9.9 63

2:10PM - Melbourne Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Collingwood 5.4 11.8 15.11 18.14 122

Essendon 1.2 5.5 13.8 14.9 93

2:40PM - AAMI Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Adelaide 3.7 6.8 12.8 15.11 101

Fremantle 5.0 10.2 16.2 20.6 126

5:40PM - Subiaco Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

West Coast Eagles 2.6 6.9 13.14 16.16 112

Sydney Swans 2.3 6.9 9.9 15.10 100

7:15PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

St Kilda 3.2 8.4 12.7 14.11 95

Hawthorn 2.3 5.8 8.10 11.12 78

1:10PM - Brisbane Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Brisbane Lions 6.2 9.5 17.8 25.13 163

Carlton 2.4 4.6 6.7 6.10 46

Richmond 7.4 7.7 10.9 15.10 100

Port Adelaide 9.3 13.6 19.9 24.11 155

5:10PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Kangaroos 4.2 9.3 14.9 19.12 126

Melbourne 2.3 4.5 7.6 9.8 62

P

%

PTS

1 GEE 16 156 52

2 KAN 16 106 44

3 HAW 16 114 40

4 PA 16 108 40

5 WCE 16 108 40

6 COL 16 107 40

7 WBD 16 97 36

8 SYD 16 112 32

9 ADE 16 110 32

10 ESS 16 96 32

11 STK 16 93 32

12 BL 16 105 30

13 FRE 16 102 28

14 CAR 16 74 16

15 MEL 16 77 12

16 RIC 16 76 6

An incredible return by cousins. He looked fitter than ever before, they must have had a great weights room in that rehab clinic.

Looking at the poll, of the 6 voters, everyone picked their own team for the flag, except the Dons supporter, who went for the Cats.

Looking at the poll, of the 6 voters, everyone picked their own team for the flag, except the Dons supporter, who went for the Cats.

Remind me to set this poll up again next year... before the start of the season.

:o

Pagan sacked as Carlton coach

Denis Pagan has been sacked as coach of AFL club Carlton.

Pagan's future was decided during a meeting with senior club officials including Blues president Richard Pratt and chief executive Greg Swann.

The final straw for the Carlton hierarchy came with Sunday's 117-point drubbing to Brisbane. The Blues have lost their last five matches and currently sit in 14th place on the ladder.

"I don't blame the players," said Pagan, who was dumped by the club with one full year remaining on his contract. "This is a tough business."

Pagan, 59, becomes the third AFL coach to part ways with his club this year following Neale Daniher at Melbourne and Chris Connolly at Fremantle.

The Carlton board will meet on Monday night to decide on a caretaker coach to replace Pagan for the remaining six rounds of the 2007 season.

aap

Pagan sacked as Carlton coach

Denis Pagan has been sacked as coach of AFL club Carlton.

Pagan's future was decided during a meeting with senior club officials including Blues president Richard Pratt and chief executive Greg Swann.

The final straw for the Carlton hierarchy came with Sunday's 117-point drubbing to Brisbane. The Blues have lost their last five matches and currently sit in 14th place on the ladder.

"I don't blame the players," said Pagan, who was dumped by the club with one full year remaining on his contract. "This is a tough business."

Pagan, 59, becomes the third AFL coach to part ways with his club this year following Neale Daniher at Melbourne and Chris Connolly at Fremantle.

The Carlton board will meet on Monday night to decide on a caretaker coach to replace Pagan for the remaining six rounds of the 2007 season.

aap

Bye bye Denis, there weren't Wayne Careys at Carlton unfortunately for you.

Like to see them give Craig Bradley a run, at least until the end of the season. Probably be Ratten though.

Geelong 8.2 13.6 15.11 20.18 138

Western Bulldogs 3.1 4.4 6.8 9.9 63

Cats are on fire and a solid win over the Dogs but they are still very erratic with their kicking. Good win though and well deserved.

Collingwood 5.4 11.8 15.11 18.14 122

Essendon 1.2 5.5 13.8 14.9 93

Despite the loss I think the Bombers are a team to watch. Collingwood are currently sixth and playing pretty well but the dons are not out of it. They play hard and are kicking well with a balanced team of big men at both ends and a quality mid field. I think they are still contenders for a finals berth

2:40PM - AAMI Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Adelaide 3.7 6.8 12.8 15.11 101

Fremantle 5.0 10.2 16.2 20.6 126

My poor Crows are really struggling and their kicking for goal is a key failure. They can pass and mark but not consistently kick goals from set shots. Serious problems down there. Freo look good and much better than their lower ladder spot shows. Maybe getting rid of Connoly has given them a lease of life?

5:40PM - Subiaco Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

West Coast Eagles 2.6 6.9 13.14 16.16 112

Sydney Swans 2.3 6.9 9.9 15.10 100

Ben Cousins - no more need be said.

7:15PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

St Kilda 3.2 8.4 12.7 14.11 95

Hawthorn 2.3 5.8 8.10 11.12 78

Didn't see the game - no idea what happened - are the Hawks starting to tumble?

1:10PM - Brisbane Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Brisbane Lions 6.2 9.5 17.8 25.13 163

Carlton 2.4 4.6 6.7 6.10 46

What can you say except goodbye Dennis?

Richmond 7.4 7.7 10.9 15.10 100

Port Adelaide 9.3 13.6 19.9 24.11 155

hate to admit it but the Power had a field day even if it was against the hapless and hopeless Tigers. Still puts the boys in 4th spot.

5:10PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Kangaroos 4.2 9.3 14.9 19.12 126

Melbourne 2.3 4.5 7.6 9.8 62

Didn't see the game - wish I had.

CB

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy was sacked this morning after 27 years at Windy Hill.

The veteran coach was called to a 10am meeting with football staff including list manager Adrian Dedorio and club champion James Hird.

Sheedy, 59, will front a media conference at the club's Windy Hill headquarters at 11.30am (SA time) today.

He is likely to stand aside immediately, although he could remain at the helm until the end of the current season, with the Bombers still in with a chance of qualifying for the finals.

Sheedy becomes the fourth AFL coach to be sacked this season, joining Neale Daniher (Melbourne), Chris Connolly (Fremantle) and Denis Pagan (Carlton).

If Sheedy chooses to stand aside straight away, he will have coached Essendon in 629 matches.

That puts him second on the alltime list behind Collingwood legend Jock McHale, who coached the Magpies 714 times from 1912-49.

Sheedy made his name as a player at Richmond, representing the Tigers in 251 games from 1967-79, including three premierships.

He replaced Barry Davis as Essendon coach in 1981 and led the Bombers to four premierships in 1984, 1985, 1993 and 2000.

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy was sacked this morning after 27 years at Windy Hill.

I read this when I went to the MSN website

Sheedy, Essendon part after 27 years

Wednesday Jul 25 13:37 AEST

Kevin Sheedy has been dumped as Essendon coach, with the AFL club's board deciding not to offer him a new contract.

The momentous decision was announced on Wednesday, although Sheedy said he had known for much of the year that 2007 would probably be the last of his 27th seasons in charge at Windy Hill.

Sheedy, 59, will stay at the helm for the remainder of the season, with the 10th-placed Bombers still in contention for a finals berth.

Three other clubs - Melbourne, Fremantle and Carlton - are also looking for a new coach.

Sheedy did not rule out the prospect of coaching another club.

"I'll be in footy somewhere, enjoying myself," he said.

Sheedy made his name in the game as a player with Richmond, whom he played 251 games with from 1967-79.

With the Tigers currently sitting on the bottom of the ladder, it's inevitable he will be linked to a return to Punt Rd, where incumbent coach Terry Wallace has two full years remaining on his contract.

"It's a hard call," said Sheedy, when asked if he would consider coaching the Tigers.

"Obviously Terry has got a two-year contract."

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson said that a significant majority of the club board had come to the decision not to extend Sheedy's contract into a 28th season and beyond.

Jackson said Sheedy's replacement as Essendon coach would need to be a very strong person.

"I think if we're looking at where we're at, we've been led extremely well this year by players of the calibre of (James) Hird, (Dustin) Fletcher, Mal Michael's come into the team and released Fletcher who's playing some of his best football," he said.

"(Scott) Lucas has been terrific up front, (Matthew) Lloyd came back into the side.

"I think the point about that is the youngest of those guys is 29 years old and whilst they're very important for us for the next year or two the board sees the future of this playing list over the next three-to-five years.

"And that's the basis of the decision, it's a three-to-five year decision not a one-to-two year decision."

If Essendon fail to finish in the top eight, Sheedy will walk out of Windy Hill having coached the Bombers 635 times, second only to Collingwood legend Jock McHale, who coached the Magpies in 714 games from 1912-49.

"My line of thought is they've been a great client, the Essendon footy club," said Sheedy.

"You don't get a 27-year client that often.

"When you look back at all the coaches who've ever coached in any sport in this country you'd be very lucky to have this opportunity.

"Peter and I have been discussing it since about probably late January.

"We discussed whether (James Hird) and I should really go out at the same time.

"The next discussion was probably in late May and we were in the middle of a few wins and we thought, we've got to be careful here about how we do it because it could affect the team.

"It's very hard when you've won eight and lost eight and you're sitting just outside the eight.

"I think the club's made a decision and you move on."

©AAP 2007

I can't wait to see the reaction from AussieThaied when he comes back online. He will most likely get the news related to him but not be able to respond for another couple of weeks.

Would Sheeds take on Richmond? Two people being put forward to replace him Neale Daniher and Mark Thompson. I can's see Thompson leaving the Cats with the way they are going at this time and don't think Daniher would be a contender given his record at Melbourne.

CB

4 jobs by my reckoning, scewie

freo, melbourne, essendon and carlton, maybe Craigie and Choco should be hearing footsteps too :o

I think Port will keep Williams for no other reason than one of their major sponsors, Alan Scott, has sworn to get rid of him.

After Cahill went, the big rumour was that Williams was only keeping the seat warm for Sheedy, who would come over as soon as his contract ran out, or some Essendon milestone was reached, I disremember.

However it never happened and one might say Port would have three flags or none as a consequence depending on your point of view.

Craig is a different story. He blew the only chance Adelaide will have at a flag last year, it's rebuilding time now... the Crow's board can be very vindictive and will look for anyone to blame except themselves. Who knows, Pagan or Sheedy could be waiting in the wings. Money is never a problem at West Lakes and they love wasting it on has beens.

4 jobs by my reckoning, scewie

freo, melbourne, essendon and carlton, maybe Craigie and Choco should be hearing footsteps too :o

I think Port will keep Williams for no other reason than one of their major sponsors, Alan Scott, has sworn to get rid of him.

After Cahill went, the big rumour was that Williams was only keeping the seat warm for Sheedy, who would come over as soon as his contract ran out, or some Essendon milestone was reached, I disremember.

However it never happened and one might say Port would have three flags or none as a consequence depending on your point of view.

Craig is a different story. He blew the only chance Adelaide will have at a flag last year, it's rebuilding time now... the Crow's board can be very vindictive and will look for anyone to blame except themselves. Who knows, Pagan or Sheedy could be waiting in the wings. Money is never a problem at West Lakes and they love wasting it on has beens.

Of the two I would prefer Pagan but I think Sheedy is an excellent coach who could build on the Crows preferred running the ball style. They (the crows) desperately need some big men at both ends of the ground who can mark the ball but also kick it accurately.

I think Craig is running out of time and is still the only coach who has not played the game at the upper levels of SANFL/VFL/AFL grade. He is clever and a great motivator but he isn't getting the results they need. The team is also hampered by an aging group of players who are sadly past their prime but occupying spaces on the field that need younger legs.

Williams is a problem for Port - he divides the club between those that love him and those you hate him. Port is a passionate club and they demand results. I would not be surprised if Choco is dumped at the end of the year and Sheedy dons the teal, black and white. He would do well down there and have a better group of players from which to choose.

CB

Following up on teh theme of coaches who do you think will be next?

I think the two in contention would be Worsfold (yeah I know the spelling is wrong) and the other one I reckon in danger is Matthews. I think the WCE have had a savage year with the club tearing itself to pieces and being torn up by the Victorian press over their off field antics but I think they have had a form drop that will make the difference in the boards acceptance of what they are prepared to put up with.

CB

Worsfold's safe, it's not his job to stop the players shoving their income up their nose. The board and the committees can share the blame there. If he gets the sack, we'll have him.

Hard to say that good players make the best coaches, Malthouse was only a fringe player.

Craig on the other hand played over 300 games in SANFL at a time when we beat the Vics regularly at interstate level.

You have to remember that Port came into the AFL without any goodies, one out of contract player, Gavin Wanganeen, only.

I think we got Primus on a free draft pick because he wouldn't go to Brisbane and no one else wanted him.

However the supporter expectations were huge, we were used to a flag every three years and the expectations never changed. I think we've got a good young side that will go close this year, Williams will get another chance next year then bye bye.

But then Pavlich will be a nice pick up next year. :o

Worsfold is idolised by board, committee, players and supporters at West Coast. His job is the safest in the competition.

I think Terry Wallace at Richmond will be the next to go, they have a favorite son in Sheedy ready to step in.

Danihar will get Essendon, Mark Harvey will stay at Freo and for Carlton - Michael Voss or McKenna.

So says my crystal ball. :o

Worsfold is idolised by board, committee, players and supporters at West Coast. His job is the safest in the competition.

I thought the same thing about Malcolm Blight at the Crows and look what happened to him after consecutive premierships :o

I think Terry Wallace at Richmond will be the next to go, they have a favorite son in Sheedy ready to step in.

I dispise Terry Wallace almost as much as Rodney Eade. I think that if Sheedy said he wanted the Tigers and they obliged him with a long (5+) contract he would take the job and Wallace would be out quicker that Matthew Knights with much less sentiment.

Danihar will get Essendon,

I don't think they will give it to him despite his old playing days with them. He hasn't been able to capitalise on Melbourne's talent and that is unforgivable in footy. Not sure who else would be in contention though.

Mark Harvey will stay at Freo

Mark Harvey would be a good choice there

and for Carlton - Michael Voss or McKenna.

Would they want it?

Funny old game is football

btw - AussieThaied sent me a PM he is back on surface and will be looking on line soon. I sent him a PM re Sheedy not had a reply yet. Don't think he will be happy though.

so says my crystal ball

I thought you said you had balls of steel? :D

CB

Been in discussions with "Sheeds" recently, and there is a 90 % chance he will be coming to coach the new Chiangmai Aussie rules team... :o

I played 100 games for West Croydon mostly second 18 Captain, so how is my quals?

so says my crystal ball

I thought you said you had balls of steel? :D

CB

Rust set in, had to get new ones. :D

Blight is a strange character, sacked by the Saints as well, very early in his contract. A personality disorder?

Agree 100% about Wallace, ever since he trained the likes of Liberatory (sp) and Romaro (sp) to scrag and scratch the opposition in the packs.

Danihar wasn't really a failure with Melbourne. He got them to a prelim a few years back, they just wanted more from a playing list not quite up to the mark.

Voss is apparently very keen to get a new career going, and McKenna is ready for the next level after a number of years as assistant at Collingwood. He's highly rated by the pundits. (whoever they are :o )