Expats worries: What's next?

swissie

570380874_Screenshot_2019-07-23Thailandannualhouseholdincomebreakdown2020Statista(1).png.08b45ec9b2adec8b65a2a63e96d77be2.png

I dare to believe that this may give us an element of answer. 875 000 Bahts is 72000 a month, so most retiree would/should (roughly) belong to the top 10% household incomes. I could understand if Thai authorities wanted to enforce this, strictly on the basis of cost/benefit/risk analysis.

Then, of course the higher income middle to high income brackets are the main source of income tax, with the obvious exception of the very high incomes who can buy themselves into exemption. So why not having a look in applying that to all long term residents? Therefore, yes gentlemen, we may well face a situation were we would be asked to help solving the income inequality issue.

Interestingly Malaysia has, very explicitly, income tax exemption for foreign retirees. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My elderly mom was terribly worried that she was going to have to make a party and entertain all the guests - 

I told her 'don't worry, the party is canceled.'

She was relieved - 

then asked me, "So, what should I worry about then?" 

Of course, she was suffering from Alzheimers Disease... 

15 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Nothing to do with not being able to afford it,its MY money why should i tie it up permanantly,its mine if i want to spend it ,up to me.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My little brother cried something similar this morning about a play toy...what a coincidence.

He was given  lollies for compliance.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

LoL, what's next for me is 'boning up' (JT, is that some sort of US phrase!? I think us Brits would say 'brush up'), on my Lao and Mandarin language skills.  My spoken Lao isn't bad, just need to practice reading and writing.  As for Mandarin, I expect the new railway line that China is building from Yunnan Province to Bangkok via Laos might open up some opportunities for business with Chinese people in Laos.  (No, not a hotel, I promise...)

—----

No I am using the term boning up which is not the same as brushing up. Boning up doesn't necessarily imply previous knowledge. Yes I suppose it is American usage. I hope that you will be rooting for me in this worthy endeavor.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Brushing up, Boning up; it won't mean much to the Aussie members in regards to study; whether previous knowledge was involved or not. 

On 7/24/2019 at 12:10 AM, swissie said:

Most Expats find it harder to comply with the rulings/enforcements when it comes to stay "long-term" in Thailand. Some have reached the conclusion: " They want us out".

I would think that expats who cannot meet requirements would find the lack is with themselves but instead they conclude 'they want us out' - - ??

I do feel bad for those who did not calculate that there might be large fluctuations in exchange rates... but that is not the fault of the host country... that's life. 

The drop in tourism is our fault perhaps? Get rid of us all then if y'all desire as retaliation for smaller envelopes. Gota blame someone..

I havent met a women that doesnt want me here but havent met a man that wants me here. Could it be that simple?

It's ironic. My wifes friends for which i would say 50% of them live abroad with dual citizenship, green cards, etc. Yet i cant do a fkn thing here. Border line human rights abuse and i wish foreign countries would treat others how they are treated. For example thais can no longer by land, be forced to verify where they stay within 24hrs, prove ridiculous sums of money to be untouched in an account, insurrance, border crossings, etc, etc... This country is a joke. Fools at the top and lesser down the chain. All the smart people got out from what i see. All my wifes friends that live abroad are the best peopoe i have met in thailand, lol. Funny that!

What a bunch of nonsense.  When I came here in 2010 the requirement was 65,000 baht a month in income or 800,000 in the bank.  9 years later it is STILL the same.  If they wanted us out, or low-income earners out, it's logical that they would have raised the income and bank requirements at some point.  Instead, all they have done is tweaked the verification requirements.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be happy with foreigners in the UK, if they couldn't work, own land, claim benefits, had to report their address within 24hrs, report every 90 days, use the NHS free or get citizenship.

Not own land and property? Hmm, prepare for 25 baht per pound then. Significant part of the economies of Oz and UK is money laundering via real estate....Ponzi scheme, needs new entrants to keep running. Look at those oligarchs, dictators, murderers, etc buying mansions. Russians, Arabs, Chinese, African dictators, etc. 

Every few weeks there is a “what if pensions are taxed?, TM30 creating a tax liability, money brought in to be taxed” post. Seems to be the same members stirring the pot. Why?

Only money brought in the year it is earned is taxable. Thai business and elites want it that way. Money is fungible, they are always bringing it in from last year. Don’t expect a change.

What a bunch of nonsense.  When I came here in 2010 the requirement was 65,000 baht a month in income or 800,000 in the bank.  9 years later it is STILL the same.  If they wanted us out, or low-income earners out, it's logical that they would have raised the income and bank requirements at some point.  Instead, all they have done is tweaked the verification requirements.

If by tweaked you mean ,made it that you cannot spend your own money,then yes they "tweaked" the rules.

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

If by tweaked you mean ,made it that you cannot spend your own money,then yes they "tweaked" the rules.

You can spend half of your money after 3 months.  Half needs to stay in reserve since you are not showing them you have any monthly income.  Makes perfect sense to me.  If you don't want to use that method, the 65,000 baht a month income method is available.  Nice they give you two choices with the same monetary figures for at least 9 years now.  If you don't like either method, there's the door--but don't say Thailand is forcing you out.  It's your choice.

Thai government floated the idea of taxing Social Security income.  State Department strongly advised not to proceed—since retired Americans have already paid taxes to fund it (100% of their tax, BTW).  If Thai govt ever pushed it through as a new tax...goodbye LoS...

Thai government floated the idea of taxing Social Security income.  State Department strongly advised not to proceed—since retired Americans have already paid taxes to fund it (100% of their tax, BTW).  If Thai govt ever pushed it through as a new tax...goodbye LoS...

The income Tax treaty between US and Thailand
Would prevent double taxation.
Next.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when some people here complain that they don't feel welcome in Thailand (anymore) and at the same time some (many) of the same people complain about foreigners in their home country.

I think it's easy to understand that every country, and citizens of that country, like some foreigners and others not so much.

If foreigners (here or i.e. in the UK) work officially and pay taxes few citizens don't like them. But if foreigners work illegally many don't like it. And if foreigners break the rules they also don't like it.

Personally I have no problem in Thailand. I work with work permit, renew my business visa once a year, and my company takes care of the 90 days registration. No problems at all!

It seems foreigners who have no money and no or little income have problems in Thailand. Should we blame Thailand that they are not interested in people who have no money to spend and are maybe a burden to the local hospitals, etc.?

I totally agree with you. The immigration in the UK is much tighter than Thailand. we could argue that  UK or US doesn't want foreigners anymore......

If I were you I'd provided the government with more good ideas they could implement so they don't even have to think about themselves. Some comments here as showing the burglars how to intrude a home advertising new tools to do it or media reporting in detail how others did to get away without being caught! 

17 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Totally false.  Where did you get this information.  If I'm wrong please show me or remove your post.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be happy with foreigners in the UK, if they couldn't work, own land, claim benefits, had to report their address within 24hrs, report every 90 days, use the NHS free or get citizenship.

There is something called human rights in the UK so it will definitely never happen......

13 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I totally agree with you. The immigration in the UK is much tighter than Thailand. we could argue that  UK or US doesn't want foreigners anymore......

Britain certainly doesn't, more than 50% voted for Brexit.

I view foreigners with no ties to a country as a problem.

I view wives/husbands/children of citizens as not a problem.

22 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The only thing that has changed for me is that you now have to tie up 400k ,so i change to marriage visa ,more work but i have a year to do it and am retired so no problem

The marriage visa process should be far easier. Once we establish out bona fides during the first year, after that, it should never have to be repeated. The fact that they make us jump over these hoops every year, is testament to the fact that this administration does not like us marrying their own. I have even heard of guys being turned down for marriage licenses lately, at the local Amphur. The xenophobia is out of control from this government. The army is a very fearful organization. Alot of small men with very little talent or knowledge. 

If immigration had any intelligence, they would be doing things to encourage us to stay, and making our lives easier, not harder. We spend alot of money here. Far more than the average Thai. Many ex-pats are good guys, who bring alot to the table here, and contribute to Thailand on countless levels. We deserve to be treated with some dignity. A very small percentage of ex-pats are creating problems, and not following the law. Do you guys not get that? Why are we always demonized?

And we are faced with choices. Do you realize that? Do you care one iota? Is this a deliberate policy to get rid of the ex-pat community?

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The marriage visa process should be far easier. Once we establish out bona fides during the first year, after that, it should never have to be repeated. The fact that they make us jump over these hoops every year, is testament to the fact that this administration does not like us marrying their own. I have even heard of guys being turned down for marriage licenses lately, at the local Amphur. The xenophobia is out of control from this government. The army is a very fearful organization. Alot of small men with very little talent or knowledge. 

If immigration had any intelligence, they would be doing things to encourage us to stay, and making our lives easier, not harder. We spend alot of money here. Far more than the average Thai. Many ex-pats are good guys, who bring alot to the table here, and contribute to Thailand on countless levels. We deserve to be treated with some dignity. A very small percentage of ex-pats are creating problems, and not following the law. Do you guys not get that? Why are we always demonized?

And we are faced with choices. Do you realize that? Do you care one iota? Is this a deliberate policy to get rid of the ex-pat community?

Alot of small men with very little talent or knowledge. 

Very little, or absolutely no knowledge? 

17 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

its mine if i want to spend it ,up to me.

Agreed, nothing stopping you spending it, you just got to find another way of supporting your extension. My view is it will be the last Thb 400 k I spend in Thailand before I croak.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Britain certainly doesn't, more than 50% voted for Brexit.

I view foreigners with no ties to a country as a problem.

I view wives/husbands/children of citizens as not a problem.

Those 50% don't know what they are getting into...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/18/ons-data-shows-uk-wealth-wedded-to-property

Close the immigration flow, then watch the property prices to plunge. The Ponzi schemes always need flow of new entrants.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:45 AM, Mikisteel said:

Developing the TM30 so every bar wishing to serve aliens must have a scanner to scan the passport and report the customer prior to serving alcohol. 

Call it a TM-aria

finger printing before you buy ANYTHING

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If immigration had any intelligence, they would be doing things to encourage us to stay, and making our lives easier, not harder. We spend alot of money here. Far more than the average Thai. 

Not only that but the money is multiplied by 5 or 10 times because it comes from outside Thailand and helps keep the baht high.  

1 minute ago, Raymonddiaz said:

There is something called human rights in the UK so it will definitely never happen......

The situation regarding aliens in Thailand compared to the UK is completely different because of the nationalist political system that exists in the LOS. Such a system is more or less outlawed in the UK and other Western democracies

Few people actually want their country over run with foreigners but in the UK it's encouraged by the politicians while strongly discouraged in Thailand by both the politicians and the population in general.

I've spoken about this matter to a couple of women I've got to know really well over the years in Pattaya. Girls from poor families up in Isaan. They admitted that the Thai people especially the men detest us intensely for the obvious reasons and only tolerate our presence when and while we're spending money.

'Racism' thrives in the LOS because it's a natural emotion that is allowed to flourish. They don't want us here and their politicians share their sentiments.

You'll not see Thai people at railway station rolling out the welcome mat for refugees or asylum seekers hoping to put down roots in the LOS.

My pal's Thai wife could not believe her eyes when their travels caused them to drive through Peckham in South London.

Archived