British Prime Minister Johnson promises a bold new Brexit deal

webfact

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

As remainers are supposedly so well educated, I'm surprised that they cannot work this out for themselves. 

They do... by applying citizenship of EU countries, see  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44629193  

bijna 100.000 Britten in 2018 de nationaliteit van buurland Ierland hebben aangevraagd. Het jaar daarvoor waren dat er 81.000 en in het jaar dat de Britten voor de brexit stemden 46.000, meldde de krant The Guardian.As you British hardly know more as one language, I translate it with www.deepl.com  "almost 100,000 Britons applied for citizenship of neighbouring Ireland by 2018. The year before, there were 81,000, and in the year the British voted for the Brexit, 46,000, the newspaper The Guardian reported".

Dual citizenship: how to get an EU passport before ... - The Week UK

6 days ago ... If you are worried about losing EU citizenship, these countries may be able to give you a helping hand.

British to become Dutch citizens.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Leaveland and Remainia:

image.png.321eb5690d7a9a21fb63a3ef36a4dfad.png

You forget Greater London...  Bye-the-way: quite some banks already switched jobs to the EU: Frankfurt, Dublin, Paris, Luxembourg and Amsterdam. Also thanks for the Eur Medicine Agency and BMW Mini to NL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

Deflect and engage in as much whataboutry as much as you like, we are discussing how Boris and how Ursula von der Leyen are voted in and from where I'm standing the UK is far more democratic than the EU, but of course this will never be accepted by people when cut up have the letters EU running through them like a stick of Blackpool Rock.

So help me out here, this year there was a choice of 3 candidates.

1. Ursula von der Leyen

2. Ursula von der Leyen

3. Ursula von der Leyen

These candidates were chosen seruptiously behind closed doors.

So now to the nitty gritty, how many MEPs voted for these choices, 380ish.

"A Union of nations" with their own currency, there own anthem and there own flag. ????????????

If you havn't realised why "you brexiteers" are are so against your undemocratic EU, can I suggest you havn't been following these threads very closely. But may I throw that question back at you, why are you EUmainers so against the British?

Great rant-o-thon by the way.

As your PM was no longer invited in, you cannot ask her, but .. when you would have read some newspapers, quite some sessions were spent to bring forward at the end one agreed candidate. ONLY and ONLY that one = Ursula, came to the EU parliament to win their acceptance as more than a veto-right they do not have.

Second: we are NOT against the British, only can NOT understand they continue already for 3 years a car crash in slow motion, shoot in their own foot, and commit commercial suicide. Remind also: as neighours, and customers, a collapse of the UK will hurt our economic situation also. That's also why we donot care so much about Venezuela. In the meantime we are happy with the jobs which migrate to the EU, like BMW Mini to Borne, Eur Med Agency top Amsterdam and  LOT more. Ask real estate intermediates in Rotterdam and Amsterdam for instance.

46 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Oh no, not the £350m bus again...

Just 98 days.. and the financial worries of the NHS are over ( ????????)

8 jul. 2019 - 65,000 NHS staff in England are EU nationals - 5.5% of all staff. …

6 jan. 2019 - More than 7,000 nurses and midwives from the European Economic Area, which comprises the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, have already left the UK since the Brexit vote. There are 41,000 nursing vacancies in England.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7783

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-eu-nurses-nhs-shortage-quit-uncertainty-midwives-nmc-a8320516.html

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

After all the chaos I just wish him good luck ????

So do I, actually.  No matter what we all say about him, this is for Britain and it is crucial that we come out of it with some positives.  I fear that he has surrounded himself with the wrong people who all have their own agenda and that will make it much harder. 

1 hour ago, swerve said:

An awful lot of Remainers on this board.

An awful lot of Remainers everywhere but still we have Boris as PM now surrounded by his Brexiteer Brethren.  Let's see where we are at the end of October.  Will Boris sink or swim?  Talk is cheap and a politicians promise is worth less than that.

I hope Boris can pull something off because Britain is suffering from all of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Yes and Boris is one of the culprits who caused all of this.

He has managed to wangle his way into number ten and that is all he cares about.

He could not care less about anyone else.

Yes we all know that, but now he is PM with all his buffoonery, bluster and waffle.  So we have to get on with it.  I think he will fail but I hope he doesn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

warned that if the bloc refused to negotiate then there would be a no-deal Brexit.

That's probably one of his deepest thoughts.

BJ, the chosen, to negotiate a no deal. The king of (oxy)morons.

Edited by KiChakayan

The Tory party made a huge mistake appointing Theresa May. She is weak of character, has zero charisma, and is a visibly uncomfortable public speaker.  She thought it was fair to appoint a balanced team around her.  This resulted in senior Remain supporting cabinet ministers continually undermining her authority, and further weakening her position on Brexit. That made it easier for the EU negotiators to back her into a corner. 

We now have a PM and cabinet totally focused on delivering Brexit. I've never been convinced by Boris' credentials as a potential PM. But at this point in time he and his team are exactly what we need to end the deadlock. We needed a sea change, and that's what we have now. 

It doesn't matter how many EU representatives say there will be no more negotiations. I don't blame them for saying that - it's their job. If the Irish (who have the most to lose from no deal) support a change to the backstop, the rest of the EU will go along with it. We'll then have a deal that can get through Parliament. 

I'm confident Boris' team can get a better deal. The Remain propaganda machine will do it's best to undermine our position, and that could result in us leaving without a deal on Oct 31st. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The Tory party made a huge mistake appointing Theresa May.

In fairness there were no other candidates, they all ran away apart from Leadsom who withdrew.  May became PM by default because nobody else wanted the poisoned chalice.

Let's wait and hear what Boris's plan is over Brexit.  So far he has only said "Believe harder!"  There will be deal of sorts but will it address the back-stop which is the real issue or just be another fudge?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The Tory party made a huge mistake appointing Theresa May. She is weak of character, has zero charisma, and is a visibly uncomfortable public speaker.  She thought it was fair to appoint a balanced team around her.  This resulted in senior Remain supporting cabinet ministers continually undermining her authority, and further weakening her position on Brexit. That made it easier for the EU negotiators to back her into a corner. 

We now have a PM and cabinet totally focused on delivering Brexit. I've never been convinced by Boris' credentials as a potential PM. But at this point in time he and his team are exactly what we need to end the deadlock. We needed a sea change, and that's what we have now. 

It doesn't matter how many EU representatives say there will be no more negotiations. I don't blame them for saying that - it's their job. If the Irish (who have the most to lose from no deal) support a change to the backstop, the rest of the EU will go along with it. We'll then have a deal that can get through Parliament. 

I'm confident Boris' team can get a better deal. The Remain propaganda machine will do it's best to undermine our position, and that could result in us leaving without a deal on Oct 31st. 

You do realise that it was D. Raab who negotiated the WA 

Then subsequently resigned because he did not like what he agreed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

You seem to be another clown far away from reality 

Says the bitter Irish man who keeps telling us how we should be in the EU. Who still calls it a united Ireland.  The biggest clown is not knowing your country has been used like a fool in the name of the EU. i know Ireland has prospered in the EU. it wasn't long ago when dogs and horses where still crapping in the streets, which is not far off, what happens in Albania today.

The truth is you don't really care about the EU, just a united Ireland, which many of your countrymen don't want and certainly many in Northern Ireland don't either. So shouting about the EU, what does that make you. Someones B****atch.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, howbri said:

Well, we Americans listened to the same lies when DT was elected. Our stock market is soaring, the economy is on fire and Trump is making America great again. Now we have to BUILD THE WALL !!

That  explains it Boris was born in New York and holds dual nationality, he is also 1/4 muslim. :w00t:

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

As your PM was no longer invited in, you cannot ask her, but .. when you would have read some newspapers, quite some sessions were spent to bring forward at the end one agreed candidate. ONLY and ONLY that one = Ursula, came to the EU parliament to win their acceptance as more than a veto-right they do not have.

Second: we are NOT against the British, only can NOT understand they continue already for 3 years a car crash in slow motion, shoot in their own foot, and commit commercial suicide. Remind also: as neighours, and customers, a collapse of the UK will hurt our economic situation also. That's also why we donot care so much about Venezuela. In the meantime we are happy with the jobs which migrate to the EU, like BMW Mini to Borne, Eur Med Agency top Amsterdam and  LOT more. Ask real estate intermediates in Rotterdam and Amsterdam for instance.

Yes you have just reminded me what your great city of Amsterdam has to offer. Is it banking, It is business, well it is in someway the oldest business in the world.

I am sure you are happy with what Germany tell you. You always have been and do as you are told.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Says the bitter Irish man who keeps telling us how we should be in the EU. Who still calls it a united Ireland.  The biggest clown is not knowing your country has been used like a fool in the name of the EU. i know Ireland has prospered in the EU. it wasn't long ago when dogs and horses where still crapping in the streets, which is not far off, what happens in Albania today.

The truth is you don't really care about the EU, just a united Ireland, which many of your countrymen don't want and certainly many in Northern Ireland don't either. So shouting about the EU, what does that make you. Someones B****atch.

I to think that Ireland should be as one, but at this time there is to much ingrown bigotry, maybe Ireland will one day be united, may even wish to be part of a United Britain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Basil B said:

I to think that Ireland should be as one, but at this time there is to much ingrown bigotry, maybe Ireland will one day be united, may even wish to be part of a United Britain.

Knowing both sides very well, Ireland will never be part of Britain again. They can't even come to be part of the commonwealth. Too much hurt and memories have passed by. As for NI been part of Ireland, again I can't see the loyalist letting that happen, as they are loyal to the crown.

The EU have seized on this issue, trying to force the UK to stay in the EU. I know that loyalist would rather start their bombing campaign in Europe, than surrender to Ireland.

It is that serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Arguably the most bitter post I’ve read on heat in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes you have just reminded me what your great city of Amsterdam has to offer. Is it banking, It is business, well it is in someway the oldest business in the world.

I am sure you are happy with what Germany tell you. You always have been and do as you are told.

More bitter cartoon characterization.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, in the 70s everyone with high school qualifications could have a university education completely funded by the Brit government. Not only were all my fees paid, but all my living expenses as well (for my degree and postgrad. studies).

I'm not wrong. You were lucky. There were far fewer places available then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

So help me out here, this year there was a choice of 3 candidates.

1. Ursula von der Leyen

2. Ursula von der Leyen

3. Ursula von der Leyen

These candidates were chosen seruptiously behind closed doors.

please enlighten us, how many candidates did the UK had at last vote Hunt & Boris (some of the previous 10+ candidates quit with the promise of government posts, please check) Boris was elected the same way as was Prayut, by an handful of believers. The EU prior to selecting UVDL had more than 3 candidates, I didn't do proper research yet but quite sure they had more than 3, if you need supporting data it will be easy to provide or visit google and the answer may surprise you and the word you are trying to use is surreptitiously meaning in a way that attempts to avoid notice or attention or secretively which was not the case

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I'm not wrong. You were lucky. There were far fewer places available then.

I am going to agree with nauseus on this Coming from a P*** Poor council estate, nobody went to university. Even some smart people tried but they were not seemed suitable. I was very lucky and went a bit later, at 24. It still was quite unheard off and I had to show my worth in many ways.

I agree that we got grants and even signed on the dole, if you worked previously but it was for the few and didn't cover much. I will give you an example out of 48 students joining my undergraduate course, 4 of us were over 21. Out of that there was myself and one other, who wasn't funded by our parents. We had part time jobs and was still looked down upon, by many.

This was in 1990. By the late 90's things were changing, in terms of acceptance. Then again student loans also starting coming in.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2