Baht speculation curbed but Thailand still open to long-term foreign investment: BOT

webfact

4 hours ago, cerox said:

Now for the first time today Transferwise shows me below 34k THB per 1.000 EUR. I do not know about you guys but where is your limit?

If we get to 30 THB per EUR - I can live in Europe better for my money, not in the big cities, but small towns are fine as I did before.

Yes the euro is sinking fast... 

What seems to be misunderstood above is that it is the main currencies that are (willingly) going down, rather than the baht going up. 

Western countries plus Japan are printing money like mad, something Thailand is not doing... the result is that the debauched currencies keep on depreciating against the well managed currencies. 

The BOT could go the way of the SNB (there is a lot of money also going to Switzerland) and print truckloads of money in order to keep the baht in check... but for some reason it doesn't, probably because the local big money players prefer it that way... 

You are right, the EUR is very weak. But I also checked the PHP this morning, it has been stable against the EUR for the last 5 years.

So here we have two weak currencies EUR and PHP and a stable exchange rate.

On July 26, 2019 at 11:56 PM, Brunolem said:

Yes the euro is sinking fast... 

What seems to be misunderstood above is that it is the main currencies that are (willingly) going down, rather than the baht going up. 

Western countries plus Japan are printing money like mad, something Thailand is not doing... the result is that the debauched currencies keep on depreciating against the well managed currencies. 

The BOT could go the way of the SNB (there is a lot of money also going to Switzerland) and print truckloads of money in order to keep the baht in check... but for some reason it doesn't, probably because the local big money players prefer it that way... 

Could you please name a few other currencies that maintained or increased strength on the Baht since 2016?

16 minutes ago, pegman said:

Could you please name a few other currencies that maintained or increased strength on the Baht since 2016?

USD
just about 3.74 % difference over the last five years.
( Post 35 refers )

Edited by KKr

20 minutes ago, pegman said:

Although Thailand was not on the U.S. currency watch list, it still faces a risk of being included in the future," said Teppei Ino, senior analyst at Japan's MUFG Bank. "This rules out explicit currency interventions for Thailand as a measure to stop baht appreciation, and investors are taking advantage of that."

baht1.png

On 7/27/2019 at 6:44 AM, marcusarelus said:

Why put money in a Thai bank you don't live in Thailand?  I don't put money in Russian banks either.  

I've got lots of funds going into a bank in a country in which I do not reside. It's the wonder of 21st century and 20th century communication and funds transfer. Try to get into at least the 20th century one of these days.

Yeah, Russian banks don't rate with me any better than do Thai banks. :stoner:

Edited by MaxYakov

On 7/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, pegman said:

The baht is strong because it is NOT manipulated, not the other way round. 

The more things stay that way, the more (financial) investors are attracted and the more the baht appreciates.