American man one of three foreigners honored on Thai Language Day

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm always amazed how amazed Thais are that we can speak their language, like it's some kind of specially coded means of communicating.

It's a very simple language once you get past learning a new alphabet. It only takes about 30/40 hours to learn the alphabet and is important.

When I first attended school in BKK I didn't want to learn the alphabet (just learn to speak) but my teacher advised me it was crucial and I'm glad I did. I don't write very often but I read a lot and it makes my life easier and helps me understand the people more.

The tones are a red herring and seem to put people off from every trying. I purposely bypassed spending hours perfecting the tones of each word. Everything about language is context and as long as you can speak in sentences then it is no problem that you are tonally incorrect. You tend to pick up a lot just from listening anyway

Can't understand for the life of me why there is so much bewilderment regarding Allen Long .

I've seen the Thais post on his FB at how they are impressed by his accent.

He is THAI for all intent and purposes, he has lived here since he was a small child and went through the whole school system.

If he lived in the UK or US, he would be called British or American but here he is still farang.

Just shows how racist and xenophobic the Thais really are.

And we definitely would not be pissing our pants that he could speak the language with our accents. 

Whats the reason for learning the thai alphabet if you're not going to write thai. Are you saying it helped you with speaking skills at the end of the 40 hours? 

I want to learn the language but dont know where to start to be honest

47 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Can't understand for the life of me why there is so much bewilderment...He is THAI for all intent and purposes, he has lived here since he was a small child and went through the whole school system.

If he lived in the UK or US, he would be called British or American but here he is still farang.Just shows how racist and xenophobic the Thais really are".

Nonsense, this is nothing to do with, what you perceive as "Thai racism and xenophobia".  It looks as though you may be the bewildered one as, leaving aside the fact that he is already American, he would only be considered British if he had applied for and received citizenship from the UK, exactly the same as here.  

Dear me, struggling with comprehension again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davidst01 said:

Whats the reason for learning the thai alphabet if you're not going to write thai. Are you saying it helped you with speaking skills at the end of the 40 hours? 

I want to learn the language but dont know where to start to be honest

Speaking and reading. 

Once you can read to a decent standard you can learn more about the people by reading their interactions on social media and the news.

I don't tend to write (with a pen) much in any language, I use keyboards all the time to be fair.

I must admit when I write Thai on the keyboard I cut and paste the words and then arrange them in the correct order, mainly because the Thai keyboard is not very user friendly imo . 

I had one to one teaching in BKK. About 80 hours and that was suffice to give a decent foundation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"Can't understand for the life of me why there is so much bewilderment...He is THAI for all intent and purposes, he has lived here since he was a small child and went through the whole school system.

If he lived in the UK or US, he would be called British or American but here he is still farang.Just shows how racist and xenophobic the Thais really are".

Nonsense, this is nothing to do with, what you perceive as "Thai racism and xenophobia".  It looks as though you may be the bewildered one as, leaving aside the fact that he is already American, he would only be considered British if he had applied for and received citizenship from the UK, exactly the same as here.  

Dear me, struggling with comprehension again

Yet again, it seems that you are.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

To learning ?

Is this correct english?

Maybe to learn ?

In correctly formed English sentences, when "to" is followed by a noun, a pronoun, a gerund, or a gerund phrase, the "to" is a preposition. There are many expressions, including some with past participles, in which "to" is a preposition. Here are a few in example sentences:

(4)

look forward to hearing from you soon.

(5)

They're committed to making a success of the venture.

(6)

The organization is dedicated to improving the lives of poor children all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I had one to one teaching in BKK. About 80 hours and that was suffice to give a decent foundation. 

I was thinking of doing a similar course. Do you live with a Thai? If so, that would help too.

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

And for that matter the new UK PM is a foreigner in my book. His great grandmother was Swiss and his great grandfather was Turkish.  I mean to say that's only 100  years ago, these bloody foreigners poking their noses in

and Boris was born in the US (New York)

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Learning the alphabet helps in many ways.It helps me with pronunciation it also helps when looking up words in the dictionary to find the meaning of new words it also helps with reading signs and getting about and like Sticky Wicket said although he doesn't write much reading is a big help in learning the culture and understanding Thais.

I totally agree. I learnt to read Thai over 20 years ago. Not having learnt would just be like walking around blindfolded.

For those who give up before they start, I can tell you it is easy to learn as it is just an alphabet with a symbol representing a sound. Much easier than learning to read in English which has lots of irregular spelling.

Maybe Andrew Biggs should have used more temperate language in denouncing his 'hellish' experiences at  Suvarnabhumi airport in Thai-language posts on social media. That way his chances would not have been scuppered.

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I think your mate's wife is either humoring you or fed up with the badgering. 

I don't think so. Listen to them when they converse at a zillion words per minute. No way do they have time to use the tones every time.  I've actually picked her up on it one or two times - which is what lead to the admission.

11 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm always amazed how amazed Thais are that we can speak their language, like it's some kind of specially coded means of communicating.

It's a very simple language once you get past learning a new alphabet. It only takes about 30/40 hours to learn the alphabet and is important.

When I first attended school in BKK I didn't want to learn the alphabet (just learn to speak) but my teacher advised me it was crucial and I'm glad I did. I don't write very often but I read a lot and it makes my life easier and helps me understand the people more.

The tones are a red herring and seem to put people off from every trying. I purposely bypassed spending hours perfecting the tones of each word. Everything about language is context and as long as you can speak in sentences then it is no problem that you are tonally incorrect. You tend to pick up a lot just from listening anyway

Can't understand for the life of me why there is so much bewilderment regarding Allen Long .

I've seen the Thais post on his FB at how they are impressed by his accent.

He is THAI for all intent and purposes, he has lived here since he was a small child and went through the whole school system.

If he lived in the UK or US, he would be called British or American but here he is still farang.

Just shows how racist and xenophobic the Thais really are.

And we definitely would not be pissing our pants that he could speak the language with our accents. 

I grew up in Hong Kong, so I am a Gweilo.  Despite being a permanent HK citizen I'll never be Chinese.  Thai is a race, as is Chinese.   English or American is a nationality, made up of many races.   He could be a Thai citizen but he'll always be Caucasian, therefore never considered Thai.

• Like 1

Is there an award for the longest attempt to learn Thai but still an abysmal failure? tried since 1994 yet cannot speak, read or write it, happily it is totally useless outside of the country anyway. I even have trouble getting the girls at Big C to understand our member number, so I printed it out and stuck it on the back of my phone. I wish i could speak it, but it's a hopeless dream now.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

He needs to receive financial reward to break this law!Ever seen a Thai woman pay a farang husband for his efforts? 

Don't think so ? I understand unpaid volunteer workers need permits ?

44 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Is there an award for the longest attempt to learn Thai but still an abysmal failure? tried since 1994 yet cannot speak, read or write it, happily it is totally useless outside of the country anyway. I even have trouble getting the girls at Big C to understand our member number, so I printed it out and stuck it on the back of my phone. I wish i could speak it, but it's a hopeless dream now.

Been trying since 1982 when I married my wife been living here 2 years learned how to count from a game show that used to be on TV

• Like 1

So there were three foreigners who received this award, an American, an Australian, and a Brit... Yet the title of the article only mentioned the American nationality 

What is that about? 

• Haha 1