Raw Eggs

One Italian restaurant I love always serves al fredo pasta with a raw egg on top. And I sometimes put a raw egg in a smoothie or in a salad dressing. But, are raw eggs now bad for you?

Oh, also gave one each to my dogs every week. They loved them.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

OK First of all , I'm NOT in ya kitchen , OK......................... :o

Secondly

Foods Associated with Salmonella: Raw poultry products, eggs, pork, processed meats. Less commonly, Salmonella has been found to be associated with raw fruits and vegetables such as cantaloupe, tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts.

so the more susceptible you are to food poisoning the less you want to eat them ...................

I love my eggnog made from raw eggs. I won't tempt fate anymore after reading a news report not long ago that they expected Thai students to be more likely to catch birdflu as they ate sunny side up eggs.

in the Robert Altman film McCabe and Mrs Miller the protagonist would break an egg inta glass ob whiskey fer his nutrition; probably neutralised any otherwise harmful effects...later, he managed to out gun 3 badazz, heavily armed assassins...he died in de end, but a lot to be said fer raw eggs...

oh, de films, de films...(tutsi languishes as a bored engineer when his true calling is as a screenwriter/auteur/critic...)

Raw eggs are fine as long as you don't have too many. We used to 'drop' them straight from the shell when hiking on survival trips. There's are a cold Japanese dish made with noodles with sea food that has a raw egg on top. Top eats!

As long as you are getting good, fresh eggs it should not be a problem. I'd be leery if it was from a restaurant because then you are not sure how those eggs have been stored or how old they are.

As far as raw eggs for dogs? Give them to our dogs all the time. Gives them a nice shiny coat and has never been a problem. Vet said they were fine.

As far as raw eggs for dogs? Give them to our dogs all the time. Gives them a nice shiny coat and has never been a problem. Vet said they were fine.

hmm ...Biotin makes dogs have great skin ,hair coat and nails.if you feed your dogs with cooked eggs, they may have better hair as they have now.

Your dogs have great result from eating raw eggs..That's good and It's your luck..But i don't think raw eggs are a good source of meal.

Another thing that amazed me inThailand: the eggs are never refridgerated in the shops. But they were always fresh and tasted good.

Leave them out in the West and you'd be pulverised for trying to give people salmonella or whatever.

The eggs are unrefrigerated in the supermarkets in Australia Jet, not sure what the shelf life is though.

I like the packet rice porridge for brekky some times and always break a raw egg into it about a minute before serving.

I quote from the learned Horace Rumpole......

"There's no pleasure on earth that's worth sacrificing for the sake of an extra five years in the geriatric ward of the Sunset Old People's Home."

Taking the ongoing Bird Flu into account along with advice issued by the Thai Authorities M.O.H. on not only eggs but Chicken and making sure they are well cooked to kill off any bacteria ect.

NO

It only takes one infected egg or chicken to make you wish you,d taken the advice on board.

It really is common sense under the circumstances not to tempt fate.

marshbags :o

if ye break raw eggs inta a pot ob sumpin' that's just cooked an' hot shouldn't be a prob; the heat from the other constituents should be enuf ta cook de eggs...a crazy man I knew useta live on brown rice, bok choy and raw eggs added to de mixture; add sum tamari sauce an' down de hatch. A mountain sports maniac (he soloed a route on de Squamish Chief north ob Vancouver BC an' none ob dem are < class 4/5 to my knowlege) never seen anyone more fit...

I love "jok" in the morning, with a fresh egg first cracked into the bowl....then the hot rice poured on top.

This probably doesn't meet the temperature standards required to kill any nasty bacteria....but I won't stop enjoying it.

Sushi should kill you too.....according to the paranoid experts out there.

Steak tar tare...raw beef and raw egg, is a popular upscale dish.

Just eat quality food, and enjoy yourself.

If we listened to the germ conscious people....you wouldn't be able to eat at 90% of the restaurants/food vendors in Thailand!!

Screw em'.......more for us!! :o

Thanks, Y'all. I like Pumpui's logic. So I am going to make banana shakes with a raw egg for energy in the mornings.

Now back in Canada, and they got death merchants with food warnings out on everything. No/don't/never/blah blah. E-coli in the veg, medication in the meat. The chicken tastes dreadful. Wonder what all these people eat to make them obese here...apples?

I think about the only thing I would really watch out for was under cooked poultry or ground beef. If the egg looks bad, toss it out, if it smells bad toss it out. The problem with bacteria from raw eggs is cross contamination. The shell pretty much keeps things out, but it's the bacteria on the shell when you crack it is where you get that contamination. I believe if a hen is infected, they can allow bacteria inside the egg before the shell is formed, but it's still pretty rare.

Here in the States, the odds of getting a bad egg (one contaminated with Salmonella) is 1 in 20,000 eggs. Not very good odds.

Wouldn't eat raw eggs myself, but not for health reasons, because of the texture & taste. The only way I can eat eggs is as an omelette or hidden in other ingredients (ie custard). As for the dogs, though... we've been lucky enough to hook up with an ice cream maker, who has loads of raw whites left (using only the yolks for the ice cream), so we mix them in with the dogs' rice every morning. The mutts are loving it! :o

I only like eggs one way, which is practially raw but hot. Sunny side up, and taken off the heat before the whites get hard, and long before the yellow gets hard. A hard yellow center tastes completely different and yucky. Cannot quite convince the cook at our house to stop doing s-s-up eggs in a half inch of oil, but at least he doesn't give me hard yellow centers.

Mama used to serve us poached eggs, still runny, and she cracked the egg over shredded fresh toast. Yummy, especially with very crisp bacon.

Wouldn't eat raw eggs myself, but not for health reasons, because of the texture & taste. The only way I can eat eggs is as an omelette or hidden in other ingredients (ie custard). As for the dogs, though... we've been lucky enough to hook up with an ice cream maker, who has loads of raw whites left (using only the yolks for the ice cream), so we mix them in with the dogs' rice every morning. The mutts are loving it! :o

Wow, that's interesting. And good for the pups, too.

Agree, Peace Blondie, I love runny eggs. Crispy maple-cured bacon and toast for dipping, coffee, OJ...ah, I'm hungry again. Maybe get your chef a non-stick pan so he can get rid of the oil.

Agree, Peace Blondie, I love runny eggs. Crispy maple-cured bacon and toast for dipping, coffee, OJ...ah, I'm hungry again. Maybe get your chef a non-stick pan so he can get rid of the oil.
I got him the teflon pan, but he's Thai. I still recall buying a teflon frying pan in Chiapas, Mexico, and watching the amazed eyes of the local folks who were certain that an egg would burn if it wasn't drowned in an inch of corn oil. The current chef is the same guy who could not believe that a 400-baht toaster would automaticaly pop up when the bread was crisp.

I don't mind some grease on a warmed up egg; I hate hard yellow eggs. Totally different taste.

• 2 weeks later...
When I cook a carbonara I always mix a raw egg yolk in with the pasta just before serving

Tastes great

I mix the whole egg or two with the pasta just before serving. Toss it around with the pasta, the heat within the pan and the pasta itself cooks the eggs just enough. After you've served the pasta, scrape around the pan as the egg residue makes a wonderful 'topping', then add a crack of black pepper - wonderful!