Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

7 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

So back to the OP why do you live in Thailand ?

Why not live in your home country because it was cheap

to live in Thailand but the point is if you do not have an

income from you home country or any were else how

would you live in Thailand ? I am glad I moved back I can

have anything I like I don't get harassed or double charged

do get free medical treatment  and so many other things

I only speak on behalves of Australians 

I have clearly said that the only reason that I live here is my wifes will so I do not really understand your point.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are people spending their hard earned money to come and live in a country which treats them like cancer? Are those teenage pussy experiences enough to encourage you to destroy your entire life's savings? Jesus, at least in Amsterdam you might get some tits with your chips, but not in Thailand.

So, been here quite a long time. As with anywhere new its a fresh adventure, while after time complacency does tend to breed contempt.

No longer with the wife, son now 19 and moved out to live with his girlfriend.

The biggest thing tying me to Thailand right now, is that cute looking fella in my avatar, to the left of this post.

He is getting a bit long in the tooth to consider moving him abroad. He has lived all his life in a 5km radius, though he has also been abroad as much as a goodly chunk of our posters. The vet thinks his traveling days are best considered finished.

Mine though might not be.

For me, it isn't so much that immigration is getting tougher, because for me, as for many others, it hasn't been.

The weakness of the Pound weighs heavily, though there seems to be a perception emanating from the authorities, that while we were very welcome when we first came, that welcome is diminishing fast.

I am not ready to up and leave, but for the first time since I made the decision to move here, I am now seriously starting to evaluate other options.

Thailand is not what it was when many of us came, though I am still very happy I chose to come. Time will tell if the master ends up his days in the same Wat as the hound will, but I wouldn't place big money on that right now.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I only came here because I 'loved' the spinners.

They're bigger and too expensive now.

everything in the world is bigger and more expensive now.

Some things are even smaller and more expensive ( food products for one)

For my wife... 98% was that she was tired of the snow and ice , did not want to go thru one more winter in Wyoming after 20+ years there. 

Me,  mostly was for cost of living,   to save money for retirement. 

We both looked,  and really, there was no where in the USA that we desired to live.

I came here because life here was a lot more SANUK than life in amereeka and i found the normal thai person to be a lot more likeable than the normal farang person.

I still feel the same way.

Life has changed all over the world.  Some things have changed here as well.   Good luck to those thinking they will find a better alternative.  Remember to let us know how it goes after the honeymoon phase.

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Committed to my wife.

Otherwise out of this shithole.

Pissed off with the non stop noise.

Why she will forget you in a heartbeat when you croke on the shitter in your cheap little crap village house built on her pappas farm.

Take it easy dude ..leave if you want you will live longer for sure, trust me I speak true

I like Girls.  And when I buy them a drink, Girls like me. 

Really that simple. 

It's my life and I'm going to live as I please after working 43 years and being married for too many years.

Broken sidewalks, motorcycles on sidewalks, pollution, corrupt government, visa compliance, chinese, indians, weather, are all part of life here and can be bothersome agreed.

The positives still outweigh the negatives for me  

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Bye.

It's been like this as long as i can remember and i've lived here 16 years.

What has?

Do we even live in the same country?

I live in Nakon Nowhere, out in the sticks, no neighbors.

When i go to the Mr's village 10 kms away or the local large market town 8 kms away, i get treated better, and by happier, smiling people than i would in my own home country.

Just a general more pleasant experience from the locals.

Utter rubbish.

That seems to be the major divide, doesn't it? The expats who live/retire in the tourist areas and live in a bubble are the most miserable and hate "Thailand"--a country they have clearly never encountered. (Is Disneyland America? Do people try to live there and complain about how "fake" Minnie Mouse is?) And the people who actually live in Thailand, among Thai people, in their neighborhoods and communities.

I would never go back to Europe and experience "Der Untergang des Abendlandes" - the future is in Asia, the west is finished..

- and what I like here is that the muslims generally know their place, at least where I live and have been living - not in Pak Thai - contrary to Europe, where they behave and act like the new rulers, so all in all, Thailand is good to me, if I behave, and keep the jai roon under control!

55 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You know what I'll NEVER get used to? Love it or leave it obnoxious posts as above.

Oh for Franks sake! Don't get used to it. Just choose. Because that really is the choice.

"Love it or leave it" is only obnoxious when said about your country of origin--where you have a birthright to be there. When you live overseas in a foreign country, it is the true stark reality. Don't like it? Leave. I'm not advocating that position. Just stating a fact.

4 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

That seems to be the major divide, doesn't it? The expats who live/retire in the tourist areas and live in a bubble are the most miserable and hate "Thailand"--a country they have clearly never encountered. (Is Disneyland America? Do people try to live there and complain about how "fake" Minnie Mouse is?) And the people who actually live in Thailand, among Thai people, in their neighborhoods and communities.

Just to clearify, I am not speaking about the thai people in general, I am speaking about the gouverment and the officials. Me my self are living in a small village with about 200 people and I have for sure no problem with those.

I lived 10 years with my wife in Germany, then we relocated. If my wife would be Vietnamese I would live in Vietnam. But we are thinking after 3,5 years to leave Thailand, especially Chiang Mai. 4 months a year, what are one third, the air is super bad and it´s too hot. Additional I am annoyed that the government treated me like a criminal with the lots of reports I have to make at the immigration office. I feel not welcome.

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

BB-2018.jpg.9fdf3423d3fb12ccdee4d60b701ebf84.jpg

Wont go down well. The long term expats prefer listening to crickets on some god forsaken mountain out in the sticks..seriously why would any normal outgoing person fly half way around the world to do that here? plenty better places in Europe, OZ ,north America Canada where you can fish and hunt with great non sexual scenery if thats your thing

16 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

future is in Asia, the west is finished..

So you prefer to live in a 2nd world country instead of a 1st world country right now because the west is finished in the future. Smart.

18 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

Oh for Franks sake! Don't get used to it. Just choose. Because that really is the choice.

"Love it or leave it" is only obnoxious when said about your country of origin--where you have a birthright to be there. When you live overseas in a foreign country, it is the true stark reality. Don't like it? Leave. I'm not advocating that position. Just stating a fact.

I don't agree with you.

People lecturing expats that they need to leave if they have criticisms of things here are just obnoxious. Period. Such posts have NO VALUE whatsoever. 

Also they are dull and redundant. Completely unoriginal. The intellectual level of slugs. What percentage of the posts on this forum are variations of such dreck?

Yes you get the same thing with expats everywhere. 

I'll agree it's not exactly the same thing as talking about your home country, but it's a variation on a theme of bullying idiocy. 

1 minute ago, CNXexpat said:

So you prefer to live in a 2nd world country instead of a 1st world country right now because the west is finished in the future. Smart.

For those of us that were smart enough to burn bridges and invest in Thailand especially since the subprime crises are laughing our tits off. How good is your currency going?

Archived