Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

11 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Of course do the temples here have many different shapes and some are even considered really hot.

i think you might be saying something sack religious

13 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I live here, for laid back life, late night life, wide range of topographies to explore, cultural depth and variety, P4P girly scene, easy going social scene and to avoid cold winters. Whenever I have to deal with chores and bureaucracy there is always some to help. A wide variety of food is available at a good price and medical treatment is good.

I had completely forgotten what a positive post is like on TV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Curious where you are going to live next?  Hope it works out for you

I'm mentioned that in other threads ==> the UNESCO-protected town of Luang Prabang in northern Laos.

I did seriously consider moving back to live in southern Europe.  But I currently teach online, and the 6-7 hour time-zone difference between Europe and China would require me to teach in the wee small hours.  Once I retire, (probably when I'm about 95!), I'll consider EU again.

If you think I'm crazy to consider Laos, you need to read my other threads to understand why it works for me.  I'm sure it would be at the bottom of the list for many others who are considering a move.

• Like 2

I have an old lady and our young daughter, live in a house I bought in a quiet fishing village close to the beach, Pattaya is an hour away by car. This will be first year I go for retirement visa in the US. After we get officially married maybe I'll put the 800,000 in a long term account here, it can be the old lady's security blanket.

If I didn't have family here I would only have Thailand as a part time place. Those with no homes in their home country and limited income may be in a more difficult place. Money gives you options.

2 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

Mainly because 60+ years old "hansum" man can bang 20+ y.o. cuties. But reading TV mostly they are here because of food, temples and beaches. And they all met their wives in the library. ????

Don't be silly, mine is an immigration officer.

39 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

In the 80's when I came here the pussy and Thai sticks where of great quality and the place was fun, today it is a complete different place, kind of lost it's soul and turned into a boring control freak police state.   

Maybe in the 80's you were a hansom young man and the girls really wanted to spend time with you. Now you are probably slightly older and maybe not so hansom anymore and the quality girls don't look at you anymore.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe in the 80's you were a hansom young man and the girls really wanted to spend time with you. Now you are probably slightly older and maybe not so hansom anymore and the quality girls don't look at you anymore.

Hey !   I resemble that remark !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Not too much 'Thainess' working here for you anymore... you have decided it is better back "home" - - why would you be offended by people agreeing with you - for you to go back home? 

Did you see anywhere where I said I was offended? I just pointed out the hypocrisy. And I said In my post I was preparing to do just that - leave. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

So local residents, of any nationality or race qualify for local pricing.. 

Please explain again how thats the same as Thailand charging based purely on nationality and race ?? 

You have quoted me out of context. You decided to not quote the aspect where I mentioned about Inidians. Now why did you do that? You either did it mistakenly or you did it with intent because you needed to cherry pick my post to suit your narrative.

I clearly gave several different truthful accounts and the Indian point clearly shows the issue is not Thai centric. The other examples are variations on the theme.

I'm happy to be questioned in what I post but please do so in an open and transparent way. Also, if you are concerned about the pricing difference, what don't you apply to be a Thai national?

• Like 2

Multiple off topic and Thai bashing posts removed, you can either stay on topic or we will close the topic

Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er no.

My back garden is 25 acres here. Big playground for my off road bikes.

My house sits in a 1/3rd of an acre walled compound.

My workshop is 20 x 40'.

No neighbors.

No overheads.

Peace and tranquility.

The weather is nice. The air fresh & clean.

The locals are nice, friendly and helpful. They smile.

Back in my home country i lived in a 2 up 2 down English terraced house.

Houses either side. Small pleasant city.

Shed too small to fit a motorcycle in.

Back garden  about 8 x 16'. Neighbors peering over the fence.

Never talked to my neighbors. Nobody smiled.

Could never afford the land for that old tumbled down farm house i always wanted.

Everything was done in a hurry. Time = money.

Worked my arse off.

Tons of bills & overheads.

The weather was generally crap.

Bit of a difference.

Still, living in a tourist enclave city, you would'nt see that or get it.

Each to their own.

I hate traffic and cities.

Sounds very nice you have a way with words haha but yours is not typical. Most villages are noisy even compared to bangkok where I can hear a Pin drop in my condo lower sukhumvit . I love the great outdoors and will end up eventually back in OZ where I can game fish from the shore or spearfish for lobster or go rabbit hunting. Buying land here to do circuits around my house on a bike just doesn't appeal and dont care about smiles but we're all different like you said

Here for girls girls girls 

Edited by madmen

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It takes as much, if not more, courage to return home than it does to move here.

The amount of planning to move back can easily surpass the amount of planning put into moving here. You're older, and there's less room for error. There's greater economic uncertainty today than there was just 10 years ago. Central bank easing has made returns on capital less predictable, and distorted the pricing on many asset classes, especially real estate and stocks. Western governments fiscal deficits and uncertainty about entitlement programs also need to be weighed. When you start factoring in potential costs for long-term care, out-of-pocket medical expenses, and the possibilities of inflation, currency devaluations, low or negative interest rates, or entitlement program cuts, even the most sizeable nest eggs and pension benefits start to look vulnerable.

It takes time to evaluate these factors carefully, and may help explain why people who are contemplating repatriation don't simply pack up and leave on the next plane, as many here often suggest they ought to.

To those contemplating leaving, as I am, my advice would be to carefully research and plan your options, while also making an effort to make your remaining time in Thailand as fulfilling as possible. Focusing on improving both your mental and physical health to prepare for the challenges which lay ahead is also good advice.

Don't you just love people who pay attention to moderation the topic is Why you as a farrang live in Thailand 

You might as well talk to a wall and there are posters who can think of anything but bad things about Thailand and why don't you leave.  It's why all of the positive threads about Thailand get closed because the Thai bashing posters can't be controlled.  They can't help it.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't you just love people who pay attention to moderation the topic is Why you as a farrang live in Thailand 

You might as well talk to a wall and there are posters who can think of anything but bad things about Thailand and why don't you leave.  It's why all of the positive threads about Thailand get closed because the Thai bashing posters can't be controlled.  They can't help it. 

The third paragraph of my post explains why people who may have become disenchanted with Thailand might still live here, which ties into the topic of the thread. If you had read my post more carefully, you might have appreciated this, Johnny.

Edit: There isn't a single word in my post which can be described as anti-Thai or Thai bashing. It's all about the risks facing someone contemplating repatriation. I also encouraged readers to use their remaining time in Thailand as "fulfillingly as possible." Somebody clearly has a reading comprehension problem.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The third paragraph of my post explains why people who may have become disenchanted with Thailand still live here, which ties into the topic of the thread. If you had read my post more carefully, you might have appreciated this, Johnny.

"It takes as much, if not more, courage to return home than it does to move here.

The amount of planning to move back can easily surpass the amount of planning put into moving here. You're older, and there's less room for error. There's greater economic uncertainty today than there was just 10 years ago. Central bank easing has made returns on capital less predictable, and distorted the pricing on many asset classes, especially real estate and stocks. Western governments fiscal deficits and uncertainty about entitlement programs also need to be weighed. When you start factoring in potential costs for long-term care, out-of-pocket medical expenses, and the possibilities of inflation, currency devaluations, low or negative interest rates, or entitlement program cuts, even the most sizeable nest eggs and pension benefits start to look vulnerable.

It takes time to evaluate these factors carefully, and may help explain why people who are contemplating repatriation don't simply pack up and leave on the next plane, as many here often suggest they ought to.

To those contemplating leaving, as I am, my advice would be to carefully research and plan your options, while also making an effort to make your remaining time in Thailand as fulfilling as possible. Focusing on improving both your mental and physical health to prepare for the challenges which lay ahead is also good advice."

Above in quotes is one of the most blatantly anti Thai off topic posts of the entire thread and only a few lines below a large moderator post about not posting off topic - hard to believe.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

So this advent really turned my stomach and getting old and sick here is something I now find distasteful due to the medical and insurance nightmare. I do not want to be old and having to fight the whole time my insurance company if I get sick. No, I am much better off in Australia. 

This was another eye opener for me as well. I had an accident here and had a few broken bones. Long story short I ended up flying home and getting patched up there. I have insurance too, and it was still a better deal going home rather than staying here. 

Pain management in Thailand is absurd, abysmal, and inhumane to the point of if I had to deal with cancer or something here using a gov hospital because thats all I could afford I would probably just off myself rather than suffer and deal with the indignity. 

I was originally of the mind that medical care was good and cheap and thats was another one of the reasons I used to justify staying here but after that experience... No more. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

This was another eye opener for me as well. I had an accident here and had a few broken bones. Long story short I ended up flying home and getting patched up there. I have insurance too, and it was still a better deal going home rather than staying here. 

Pain management in Thailand is absurd, abysmal, and inhumane to the point of if I had to deal with cancer or something here using a gov hospital because thats all I could afford I would probably just off myself rather than suffer and deal with the indignity. 

I was originally of the mind that medical care was good and cheap and thats was another one of the reasons I used to justify staying here but after that experience... No more. 

Another two posts about why not to live in Thailand 180 degrees off topic which is why are you living in Thailand.  You just can't help posting negatives about Thailand.  Your fingers hit the keyboard and out comes bad bad bad.  

Don't let them beat you down Mr. Moderator.  The Thai bashers are trying to get the thread closed because it may contain positives about Thailand.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1