Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

17 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

I came because it's a warm corrupt Third World country. 

Hopefully it never happens to you or anybody else here.

But the problem with the corrupt country is that if someone "important" does not like you (maybe an accident, maybe you talked the wrong way to his daughter) you can have lots of bad problems.

Marcus, Is it OK by you for forum members to post why they came to live in Thailand, but also explain the reasons why they have now decided to leave?

Because there are always two sides to a story.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Marcus, Is it OK by you for forum members to post why they came to live in Thailand, but also explain the reasons why they have now decided to leave?

Because there are always two sides to a story.

Why?  This topic is, "why do you live in Thailand."  There have been hundreds of topics recently about why you are leaving Thailand.  Two different topics.  A good example is a poster who has a topic running about moving to Latin America.  He has made it very clear it is not about why staying in Thailand is a better alternative or moving to another country outside of Latin America is a valid discussion.   And, the moderator wrote, "Multiple off topic and Thai bashing posts removed, you can either stay on topic or we will close the topic" Your posts are mainly Thai Bashing posts in one way or another.  For example you wrote, "

So that's what happened to me some years ago in Phuket.  My little guesthouse that I built near the airport was physically invaded by some Thai drug dealers and I was locked out.  My appeal to the local police was denied because they were customers of those dealers.  My appeal to Phuket police HQ was ignored, even though I had worked for more than 12 years as an unpaid police volunteer and translator at Phuket Airport.  I was 'run off' the island in fear of my life and loss about $100,000 invested in my guesthouse.  Corruption in Thailand?  Don't get me started about it."  May be true and terrible but it is Thai bashing and nothing to do with this topic.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So that's what happened to me some years ago in Phuket.  My little guesthouse that I built near the airport was physically invaded by some Thai drug dealers and I was locked out.  My appeal to the local police was denied because they were customers of those dealers.  My appeal to Phuket police HQ was ignored, even though I had worked for more than 12 years as an unpaid police volunteer and translator at Phuket Airport.  I was 'run off' the island in fear of my life and loss about $100,000 invested in my guesthouse.

Corruption in Thailand?  Don't get me started about it.....

Wow, what a story. Have written all the events anywhere else, such as Stickman?

Let me know if you have.

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

As I say again - there are always two sides to a story.  You only want posters to say good things about this country.  When something bad occurs, you don't want them to speak up.  Very democratic.....

This is correct - two sides to Thailand and any story.

Good side to me I a met my wife

Bad side to me is health care and health insurances

Both sides of the story most people want to hear. Before I make any informed decision, I check on line and I most likely read a lot of BS but I read both side to the story. I also do this for most products I buy as well.

TV has a lot of stories, a lot of BS but if you read it enough and been here long enough as I have now, gleaning the truth about it all is pretty easy. I left Australia 10 years ago as I had changed and I did not like my country much then. After a lot of travel here and it now being 10 years later, I am changing again. I see things I have not noticed before and realize I also had it pretty good 10 years ago in Australia but I was too blinded to see this because over time after living somewhere for a long term, you forget things and bash the place.

Same thing for Thailand. I do like Thailand but I am lucky enough I have somewhere else I can compare it too and everything, no matter how you look at it, will have two sides to the story and you can forgot how good you had it. Oh, Thailand is good but I hate to say a lot of people are locked here either for some time (like me married to a Thai) or for good as they brought everything they had over to Thailand and are locked here with no way out. Many people posting would have trouble getting back home and would have pretty big issues if they did.

Yep, two stories to everything and neither will be true depending on whose eyes you are looking through it with.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, wilailuk said:

Here in the sticks 330 km north of BKK it´s def. 4th W. - so it exists, at least for me!

Ambience? I had my best times down in Phuket when I first came here, driving around on motorcy with no helmet, and only t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, with a hooker on the backseat, a wonder I survived those crazy years! 

What's preventing you from returning to Phuket and living that lifestyle again?

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Ah, now I get it.  It's OK if I write good things about Thailand, but I'm not allowed to mention any bad things. My post about my hotel is just one of many examples of bad things that I've experienced in Thailand, mostly down to corruption. 

It is not Thai-bashing. There are many, many things that I love about this country. But It is being honest to speak the truth and sometimes the truth is not what people want to hear.

As I say again - there are always two sides to a story.  You only want posters to say good things about this country.  When something bad occurs, you don't want them to speak up.  Very democratic.....

Stop posting Marcus, because you're making a fool of yourself ????

Because something is true does not mean it is not Thai bashing.  You seem unable to understand this.  There are of course two sides to every story and this thread is about one of those sides not both.  You seem unable to understand this either.  

If the topic was "staying or leaving Thailand and your reasons" that would be the place to post your story.  

What kind of person calls another a fool because he disagrees with him?  Certainly not an educator.   

I live in Thailand because I conserved my cash from the day I got here.  I looked at renting or leasing a business but found the idea of key money silly and fraught with risk and there were no protections here for the small business man.  I'm used to crooked cops and government because I worked in Chicago but Thailand takes it to another level.  When the dollar dropped in value re the baht I took a job as the headmaster of a college not because I liked it but because it was less fraught with risk. 

I've been a general manager for major hospitality companies worldwide but even with significant hotel experience found offers in Thailand not to my liking even as a consultant.  

I have connections in Thailand because I've done work with people when I was in the Military here so perhaps I've some advantage.  Thailand has treated me well and I haves more money now than when I got here.  Partly luck and partly knowledge of how business works here.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Then there is the fact that alot of Americans seem to me to be disenfranchised, bitter and angry. Not much fun to be around. I can walk around LA all day, cracking jokes and being as lighthearted as I can possibly be, and I would consider myself fortunate, if I could get one person to laugh or smile. There is alot of unhappiness back there.

This struck home to me. I have met several Americans over the years here and I have never been able to befriend any of them due to the fact they have seemed to be as you said disenfranchised, bitter and angry. I always thought it was just a Aussie not being able to fit in with the American so called culture and I was the odd man out but what you said here to me, now makes a lot more sense.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er no.

My back garden is 25 acres here. Big playground for my off road bikes.

My house sits in a 1/3rd of an acre walled compound.

My workshop is 20 x 40'.

No neighbors.

No overheads.

Peace and tranquility.

The weather is nice. The air fresh & clean.

The locals are nice, friendly and helpful. They smile.

Back in my home country i lived in a 2 up 2 down English terraced house.

Houses either side. Small pleasant city.

Shed too small to fit a motorcycle in.

Back garden  about 8 x 16'. Neighbors peering over the fence.

Never talked to my neighbors. Nobody smiled.

Could never afford the land for that old tumbled down farm house i always wanted.

Everything was done in a hurry. Time = money.

Worked my arse off.

Tons of bills & overheads.

The weather was generally crap.

Bit of a difference.

Still, living in a tourist enclave city, you would'nt see that or get it.

Each to their own.

I hate traffic and cities.

What happens if your Thai visa is declined one day to ALL your assets?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

And I dont know any American thats bitter and disenfranchised over politics or whatever. Typically the fellow Americans I meet are happy tourists or gainfully employed professionals like myself. 

I do not have a wide subset or experience with Americans as most just seem to shrug me off. I just thought it was how they were. I mean, my family are now in America in NYC and having a great, great time. Maybe Thailand had just worn down the people I have met. It is hard to say.

I only hang around Australians or one or two English guys. Even us Australians now seem to be getting pretty picky and for the truth be known, I don't know why. Maybe it is just because most my friends are not happy with the current exchange rates or what. Hard to say.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Thainesss said:

Id say most people regardless of where they're from shrug most people off in Thailand and its been a weird phenomenon for as long as I've been here. I get on with most people but find myself guarded around the brits because they get mouthy and sometimes their "piss takes" are thinly veiled insults and its off-putting for a-lot of Americans. 

And the exchange rates for Americans really hasn't changed all that much few baht here and there. 

And I said it before earlier in this thread, expat communities are toxic here unless you're in a kind of professional area. 

I get on with most people and try to never clutter anyone into a box. Your insight has been helpful to me. Thank you. Yes, it is a weird phenomenon and one I cannot fully understand.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mike787 said:

What happens if your Thai visa is declined one day to ALL your assets?

I'm a glass full type of guy.

Happy go lucky.

I don't think of the negatives, and i doubt it will happen, even if a civil war kicked off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1