UK PM Johnson tells EU: ditch backstop or face no-deal Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, bomber said:

barely any portuguese wine in the UK,i looked in asda and tesco a while back and couldnt find any,i cannot speak about other supermarkets,spanish is widely available,after brexit wine will be a lot more expensive so they will be hit but so will the UK consumer,its no win for both parties,pretty much the same as trumps idiotic policies,the wine sellers will struggle for other markets for the simple reason nearly all countries in the EU produce mountains of it,north and south america,south africa,north africa,turkey,NZ,Aussie like wise,thats most of the planet,good thing is it keeps it nice and cheap for those lucky enough to live in the EU,none of them sovereign UK taxes and duty to inflate the price ???? i'll drink to that ????

But.. PORT...

And from Spain: SHERRY

For both I learn when I was still supermarket-buyer, the British were the demanders, their entire industry was based on.

2 hours ago, aright said:

It's not surprising there isn't too much Portuguese  wine in the UK.....its poor quality, however at the end of 2017 their Port exports were almost a £1 billion...not insignificant for a small country. Australia make a very good Port.

The fruit and vegetable sector is however much larger and if you look around the major supermarkets they sell greengrocery from around the world at very competitive prices so the question remains "Where would you recommend they find another large customer on their doorstep?" or are you saying Spain and Portugal don't care about that business. If so show me the evidence.

The production of port in Australia is far too small to fulful British thurst..

Same for fresh fruitsw and vegetables: the UK cannot buy these at thes ame low price , quantity and quality.

And with the GBP going down, down and down versus €uro and US$.. the British will have to be caregful with every penny.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/data/currencies/gbp-pairs/GBPEUR-exchange-rate  

You know the prayer in EU: God, give us our daily bread and thanks for letting Boris be PM of the UK ( soon to be the SK) 

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nkg said:

Perhaps it illustrates that the UK has a stronger bargaining position than is generally acknowledged. Apparently Germany exports more cars to Britain than to the US and China combined.

It will be interesting to see what the EU offers Britain before the October 31st deadline.

I can see your point entirely and you make a valid point. I personally don't like the FT for their over bias reporting. I am surprised that article slipped through the net.

43 minutes ago, nkg said:

If cars are important ..... I just Googled "German cars brexit". Here are the first 2 searches:

Brexit could crush the German auto industry

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/brexit-could-crush-the-german-auto-industry-2019-02-11

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1103378/brexit-panic-german-car-giant-bmw-savings-no-deal-car-industry-volkswagen-germany

You forget the market, which falls open, when UK cars have to face a 10% import duty into the EU. ( and for lorries 22 % ) 

5 minutes ago, nkg said:

It will be interesting to see what the EU offers Britain before the October 31st deadline.

No preferences anymore, accept Schengen and €uro + right lane traffic.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

No preferences anymore, accept Schengen and €uro + right lane traffic.

Ha ha that's your dream isn't it. You have no idea of the UK if you think that will ever happen. How about Holland and the others start filling in the budget hole left by the UK. Start buying fish from the UK at least 3 times the price, as you won't be fishing in UK waters. The UK will be a new tax haven for countries and the EU will hate it.

If you ever go to the UK and see the lanes at immigration, the UK and EU lane is always full with EU citizens, the foreign lane is empty. Same in most countries of the EU, so I will take that lane anytime.

Your country has sold its soul to the EU don't tell others what to do. We voted leave and will. Sadly your country didn't have the gonads to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

But.. PORT...

And from Spain: SHERRY

For both I learn when I was still supermarket-buyer, the British were the demanders, their entire industry was based on.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Port and sherry are just fortified wines. Are you saying Australia can't increase output beyond the volumes needed to supply their current customers?

Even we Brits produce a fortified wine called Full Cream Fortified British Wine.....available at Tesco ...……...We are not allowed to call it Sherry. We even produce sparkling wine which in blind tasting scores better than many French Champagnes...…..we are not allowed to call it Champagne.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Ha ha that's your dream isn't it. You have no idea of the UK if you think that will ever happen. How about Holland and the others start filling in the budget hole left by the UK. Start buying fish from the UK at least 3 times the price, as you won't be fishing in UK waters. The UK will be a new tax haven for countries and the EU will hate it.

If you ever go to the UK and see the lanes at immigration, the UK and EU lane is always full with EU citizens, the foreign lane is empty. Same in most countries of the EU, so I will take that lane anytime.

Your country has sold its soul to the EU don't tell others what to do. We voted leave and will. Sadly your country didn't have the gonads to do the same.

That's why the PVV, the only for a NEXIT, lost all their 4 seats in the EU parliament, back to ZERO. We donot want to commit economical + financial suicide.

Every day I love it to be at this pub.

Think of the British now on holidays in the EU or in US$ countries or soon to go, and will discover this morning they will get -1,47 % in Euro's or -1,22% in US$-connected currencies for their GBP compared with Monday morning ?

UK a tax haven ? How you think the "common wallet" also called the country's treasury, will be filled to pay the tax relief of Boris for his Eton boys ? 

And for the EU budget: do not worry, it will be filled more as all can expect with import duty over the products still imported from the UK. 5% at average over 50% left of the imports ex UK ( 288,9) = 38,89 billion, about 5 x the nett UK contribution to the EU.

Pity, the EU allowed the UK another 7 months delay.

border between Belgium and Netherlands.jpg

average import duty into the EU, source HoC lib imp-exp statistics.jpg

4 minutes ago, aright said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Port and sherry are just fortified wines. Are you saying Australia can't increase output beyond the volumes needed to supply their current customers?

Even we Brits produce a fortified wine called Full Cream Fortified British Wine.....available at Tesco ...……...We are not allowed to call it Sherry. We even produce sparkling wine which in blind tasting scores better than many French Champagnes...…..we are not allowed to call it Champagne.

so...drink that stuff then.

1 minute ago, nkg said:

And will we buy German cars without imposing import duty? Just as a gift to help our German buddies?

I think that the German automobile industry will demand that a compromise is found ???? Who else makes cars that Britain buys? Italy. France. Spain.

Why you think, the British buy about 50% of their car parts from the EU ? Because the British can make them better and cheaper ? 

Ever heard of " economies of scale "?  BMW Mini is already bound to migrate to Borne - NL. Honda goes back to Japan, as no import duty from there into the EU. The waiting is for Nissan. 12.500 employees to lose their job world wide. 

https://www.acea.be/statistics/article/motor-vehicle-trade-between-the-uk-and-main-eu-partners  

https://www.acea.be/uploads/statistic_documents/Brexit-facts_figures_March_2019.pdf

11 minutes ago, nkg said:

Indeed. Britain's bargaining position is much stronger than many people would have you believe.

Look around in Thailand: how many Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW and.. how many British made... 

Same for many other countries.

Why you think nearly all British car makers went nearly bankrumpt and were bought by overseas car makers ? Because British cars were so excellent ? Even RR and Bentley are German owned.

Last-but-not-least: which British car manufacturers you mean ?  There is nearly nothing left. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_the_United_Kingdom  

Edited by puipuitom

Just now, puipuitom said:

Why you think, the British buy about 50% of their car parts from the EU ? Because the British can make them better and cheaper ? 

Ever heard of " economies of scale "?  BMW Mini is already bound to migrate to Borne - NL. Honda goes back to Japan, as no import duty from there into the EU. The waiting is for Nissan. 12.500 employees to lose their job world wide. 

https://www.acea.be/statistics/article/motor-vehicle-trade-between-the-uk-and-main-eu-partners  

https://www.acea.be/uploads/statistic_documents/Brexit-facts_figures_March_2019.pdf

Britain is a huge market for car manufacturers. That's one of the reasons that Honda and Nissan set up shop in the UK.

If BMW like having tariffs placed upon the cars that they export to the UK, then they have made an excellent decision in migrating BMW Mini. Let's see which countries are perpared to do business with the UK.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nkg said:

Yes, good job being deliberately stupid.

When did I mention British cars being exported to other countries? Never. Not once.

The Germans are worried that the British won't IMPORT their cars any more. IMPORT. Do you understand? No, you'll come out with some more rubbish about "British car exports".

The Germans have the entire world as demanders, the UK - with a 10% import duty into the EU - only… the English, as I expect Scotland to Scexit and North Ireland.. might happen too.

Then the "economies of scale" are going to hurt.

In case you do not have the slightest idea what that means, see google.

Some to make it easy:

Edited by puipuitom

Excellent time for UK,foreign dept wiped out cheaply at a stroke,put shutters up on EU,Eire finished..kaput totally,Leo,his underpants unwashed for weeks,cannot afford to wash...Eire kicked out of the EU for refusing EU loans (at a price)  cap in hand to IMF

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The Germans have the entire world as demanders, the UK - with a 10% import duty into the EU - only… the English, as I expect Scotland to Scexit and North Ireland.. might happen too.

Then the "economies of scale" are going to hurt.

In case you do not have the slightest idea what that means, see google.

39 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Some to make it easy..easy peasy Id day:

.but never mind,for you,especially you I would concentrate on just one item  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49130447  

Trump has already stated he is about to see the Kraut car industry go Kaput,and as for wine,well he has stated to the French that is on the kaput (French style too)   not much to do cept kiss the Blarney stone

Edited by zorrow424

1 hour ago, nkg said:

Britain is a huge market for car manufacturers. That's one of the reasons that Honda and Nissan set up shop in the UK.

If BMW like having tariffs placed upon the cars that they export to the UK, then they have made an excellent decision in migrating BMW Mini. Let's see which countries are perpared to do business with the UK.

If the UK i.poses tariffs on German cars, it has to impose the same tariffs on all foreign autos. WTO rules.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

If the UK i.poses tariffs on German cars, it has to impose the same tariffs on all foreign autos. WTO rules.

noooo, for Boris tariffs will only apply to cars made in the EU, WTO rules not an issue for him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Does it have to impose tariffs on Japanese cars made and sold in this country? 

• Like 2