Win10 Laptop Problem - can you please help?

Encid

I have an 18 month old laptop with Win10 installed.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop PC, 15.6" Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display, Intel i7-9750H, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1TB HDD.

The last time I used it (3 months ago) it was working perfectly, but now I cannot get it to start properly.

The first time I started it up it took forever to load Windows. The little circle was rotating for hours and I left it alone overnight to allow it to fully load.

The next morning Windows seemed to be working OK so I took the opportunity to update all my Microsoft software updates and virus protection etc.

After setting it to update I then went out shopping, and returned a couple of hours later to a blank (black) screen.

No mouse movement or touchpad movement would indicate, so I turned off the power, waited 15 seconds, and restarted it.

Got the blue restarting screen with the rotating circle, then it went black, then got the user welcome colour screen with the lovely scenery background and the rotating circle, then the screen went black.

Got a cursor now, but no icons on screen or taskbar or win icon bottom left or status icons lower right... just a blank black screen.

Left clicking or right clicking anywhere on screen does nothing.

Ctrl-Alt-Del however brings up the familiar blue screen with the usual menu options - Lock, Switch user, Sign out, Change a password, and Task Manager, as well as the icons in the lower right for Internet, Ease of access, and Power.

Clicking on Switch user does nothing.

Clicking on Sign out results in getting the user welcome colour screen with the lovely scenery background, clicking on user results in the rotating circle, then the screen goes black again.

Clicking on Task Manager does nothing.

Clicking on the Power icon brings up the usual menu option - Sleep, Shutdown, and Restart.

I have shut it down and restarted it over a dozen times now and the OS will not load past the blank black screen with a cursor.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or what I could try next?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please take all memory sticks out, use an eraser to clean the golden colored contacts then insert them carefully.

They must click in then you close the white or black plastic holders at the end of each stick holder.

If that's done and it doesn't startup, please comment here and we can walk you through.

You have a boot option by pressing F 12( a couple of times very fast) and try to boot it from your main disc where your operating system is on!

If that doesn't work, you'll be given the chance to let the machine fix itself, when it shows that it can't be done, go to your System Restore and restore it back to a time when it worked well.

Dirty memory sticks are about 60 to 70 % cause of non functioning PC's. 

P.S. Just read your post once more and if you see a cursor, just wait a bit longer, it's at least doing something, perhaps fixing its issues and that can take time.

Just do something else while the machine does that, give it time and see what happens next. 

To make a screenshot, you only have to hold down the Windows tab and the"PrintScreen" on your upper keyboard, right next to F 12 on the right side.

These screenshots are then found in your picture folder of drive c under screenshots. Post what it shows. 

For the future, please check the software of Macrium, from the UK, use the free version to back up your operating system, ot whole drives on an external drive.

Then you need a bootable media ( memory stick you boot from, search where your back up is and restore it in 20 minutes.

Please be aware that every bigger update will remove the System Restore Points you have! 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

When running M$ OS (i.e. Windows 10), you previously have accepted the fact that you will not use your computer; M$ will.

Let the system update, ad infinitum, until it is ready for your use (should be a microsecond or two, before the next update cycle).

P.S. I use Kubuntu Linux on my laptop. I also have a Windows 10 VM. I was surprised that recent updates took less than an hour. I use the VM, if I'm unlucky, about once every 6 months.

• Thanks 1

If you have nothing that you need to save on the Boot drive, run a clean install of Windows 10. if you do, run a Repair Install.

You'll need a USB Flash drive of a least 8 GB in order to create installation media.

Media Creation Tool; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 or Rufus; https://rufus.ie can both download and create the installation media.

14 minutes ago, JamJar said:

If you have nothing that you need to save on the Boot drive, run a clean install of Windows 10. if you do, run a Repair Install.

You'll need a USB Flash drive of a least 8 GB in order to create installation media.

Media Creation Tool; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 or Rufus; https://rufus.ie can both download and create the installation media.

And after this you can look in explorer finding a map called Win.old  in this map the new install have kept many things from the old O.S as documents , pic. even programs , so you can find some important things back .

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, david555 said:

And after this you can look in explorer finding a map called Win.old  in this map the new install have kept many things from the old O.S as documents , pic. even programs , so you can find some important things back .

They won't be there if you run a clean install. Only if you choose to Upgrade. Nor a Repair install, since that you keep your Apps and Docs etc anyway.

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

They won't be there if you run a clean install. Only if you choose to Upgrade. Nor a Repair install, since that you keep your Apps and Docs etc anyway.

Strange enough after my latest clean install …(AS 1903 upgrade messed up my O.S. from working normal …), could not upgrade as message Microsoft said "not possible to upgrade "  after the install map old win was anyway there …. Windows with his specialty's lately …, I was surprised too …!

Same as latest automatic  update KB4505903 who failed 3 times to install on 27/07/2019….. noted in history , and if I check now update say I have latest update , no update needed …..(?)and still the failed one noted in the history ...

Edited by david555

Before reinstalling Windows I would be inclined to boot into safe mode and try creating a new admin account and then trying to boot into that. Black screens after the login page can be associated with damaged accounts.

While booting into safe mode it would also be possible to run the various built-in system repair options which may get Windows working again without losing your installed programmes or other data. It would take me days to reinstall and configure my programmes into a fresh installation of Windows so it is something that I would prefer to avoid.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Strange enough after my latest clean install …(AS 1903 upgrade messed up my O.S. from working normal …), could not upgrade as message Microsoft said "not possible to upgrade "  after the install map old win was anyway there …. Windows with his specialty's lately …, I was surprised too …!

Same as latest automatic  update KB4505903 who failed 3 times to install on 27/07/2019….. noted in history , and if I check now update say I have latest update , no update needed …..(?)and still the failed one noted in the history ...

That wasn't a Clean install. A clean install is when you format the drive, deleting former partitions.

Otherwise it can act as an Upgrade or Repair install.

Clean means clean. Though i understand what you mean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

That wasn't a Clean install. A clean install is when you format the drive, deleting former partitions.

Otherwise it can act as an Upgrade or Repair install.

Clean means clean. Though i understand what you mean.

True , I myself did not deleted or wiped anything or formatted , in the install choice menu the 2 options where there, and the first keeping some things whas refused as not possible , second one let me understand all would be gone as it said ….. hence I saw it as a clean install ….. , so your option should be a super clean install manual done before all I guess.

I get impression we get Windows now for free , but more and more Microsoft owns our computer(s) for a certain part by now ...:unsure: 

19 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Please take all memory sticks out, use an eraser to clean the golden colored contacts then insert them carefully.

It's a laptop, not a desktop, it's never been opened - does that really apply in this case?

P.S. Just read your post once more and if you see a cursor, just wait a bit longer, it's at least doing something, perhaps fixing its issues and that can take time.

Just do something else while the machine does that, give it time and see what happens next. 

I left it overnight and this morning it had my usual wallpaper showing and an active cursor, however when I move the cursor to the taskbar it changes into that rotating circle again, and clicking on anything yields the same results as before... nothing.

To make a screenshot, you only have to hold down the Windows tab and the"PrintScreen" on your upper keyboard, right next to F 12 on the right side.

These screenshots are then found in your picture folder of drive c under screenshots. Post what it shows. 

I might be able to take screenshots... but the OS does not load enough to enable File Explorer to start so I cannot access any directories or files on the computer.

19 hours ago, Gumballl said:

When running M$ OS...

Thank you for your less than helpful post.

If I ever decide to try Linux I will be sure to ask you for advice.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Before reinstalling Windows I would be inclined to boot into safe mode and try creating a new admin account and then trying to boot into that. Black screens after the login page can be associated with damaged accounts.

Thank you for this suggestion, it sounds like the least damaging of the approaches outlined to date.

I will give it a try.

To the other members JamJar and david555, thank you also for your suggestions however I will try KittenKong's idea first as it sounds the least invasive and I'm really not sure how much personal data I have on the boot drive.

15 minutes ago, Encid said:

It's a laptop, not a desktop, it's never been opened - does that really apply in this case?

I left it overnight and this morning it had my usual wallpaper showing and an active cursor, however when I move the cursor to the taskbar it changes into that rotating circle again, and clicking on anything yields the same results as before... nothing.

I might be able to take screenshots... but the OS does not load enough to enable File Explorer to start so I cannot access any directories or files on the computer.

Thank you for this suggestion, it sounds like the least damaging of the approaches outlined to date.

I will give it a try.

To the other members JamJar and david555, thank you also for your suggestions however I will try KittenKong's idea first as it sounds the least invasive and I'm really not sure how much personal data I have on the boot drive.

You should create installation media anyway, as it will assist you in whichever direction you choose to go. Everything from helping you to get into Safe Mode from Boot to repairing your current installation.

In the meantime, look here; https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/#w1

43 minutes ago, JamJar said:

You should create installation media anyway, as it will assist you in whichever direction you choose to go. Everything from helping you to get into Safe Mode from Boot to repairing your current installation.

In the meantime, look here; https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/#w1

I just tried that... but my menu options are slightly different, there is no Startup Settings option, only Startup Repair.

I selected Startup Repair and chose the user account. It went into Diagnosing mode then I received a message saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.

I have a feeling that I am going to go back to the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) main menu and select Reset this PC instead of Advanced Options.

Wait on... as I type I am trying things on the laptop and from the Advanced Option there was a More Options which I clicked on and lo and behold there was Startup Settings.

I was able to restart into Safe Mode and I pressed 4 to enter Safe Mode without network.

However when I press Win+R to invoke the Run box, nothing happens.

I have the same black screen with a cursor (albeit with Safe Mode in each corner of the screen) that I had before, and when I move the cursor to the task bar it changes into the all too familiar rotating circle again.

Any more suggestions before I resort to trying the Reset Option?

2 hours ago, Encid said:

I just tried that... but my menu options are slightly different, there is no Startup Settings option, only Startup Repair.

I selected Startup Repair and chose the user account. It went into Diagnosing mode then I received a message saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.

I have a feeling that I am going to go back to the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) main menu and select Reset this PC instead of Advanced Options.

Wait on... as I type I am trying things on the laptop and from the Advanced Option there was a More Options which I clicked on and lo and behold there was Startup Settings.

I was able to restart into Safe Mode and I pressed 4 to enter Safe Mode without network.

However when I press Win+R to invoke the Run box, nothing happens.

I have the same black screen with a cursor (albeit with Safe Mode in each corner of the screen) that I had before, and when I move the cursor to the task bar it changes into the all too familiar rotating circle again.

Any more suggestions before I resort to trying the Reset Option?

Use a Linux Live image to back up any data you wish to keep. That may also help you to determine if you have an issue with RAM, as you can also run a memory test from the Live image.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Once you create the image, you can Boot from it and choose Try Ubuntu without installing it or Test Memoryhttps://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1

The first option will give you access to the data on the SSD for you to retrieve any data if necessary. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Encid said:

I will give it a try.

Check your model on Youtube, it's usually very easy to take the memory cards out. A notebook has the same parts inside, just a bit smaller.

Clean them and try again, if that doesn't help can you make a System Restore? You should know that all System Restore points will be deleted after a big update and you'll have to manually create one.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

It's much easier to get into safe mode. Type msconfig at the search bar and hit enter. Then double click on it and you'll see a small screen.

Go to boot and click on safe mode, apply and it will ask you to do a restart. Then it will start up in safe mode. You get the machine back to normal the same way

But if you have a System Restore Point it could fix your machine.

If not create a System repair Disc for your OS. Next time download Macrium and create a backup on an external drive. Should something like this happen you'll have your system back in 20 minutes.

Edited by Isaanbiker

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's much easier to get into safe mode. Type msconfig at the search bar and hit enter. Then double click on it and you'll see a small screen.

Go to boot and click on safe mode, apply and it will ask you to do a restart. Then it will start up in safe mode. You get the machine back to normal the same way

But if you have a System Restore Point it could fix your machine.

If not create a System repair Disc for your OS. Next time download Macrium and create a backup on an external drive. Should something like this happen you'll have your system back in 20 minutes.

That is assuming that he can get to the Search function....

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

I am travelling for the next week or so, and have left the laptop at home turned on, in safe mode, with the spinning wheel turning.

Will see what it's like when I get back.

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Encid said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

I am travelling for the next week or so, and have left the laptop at home turned on, in safe mode, with the spinning wheel turning.

Will see what it's like when I get back.

Thanks again.

Why didn't you try a System Restore????

18 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Check your model on Youtube, it's usually very easy to take the memory cards out. A notebook has the same parts inside, just a bit smaller.

Clean them and try again, if that doesn't help can you make a System Restore? You should know that all System Restore points will be deleted after a big update and you'll have to manually create one.

OP, if you do remove the back of your laptop, I personally would remove and re-seat your NVMe drive. If it is installed correctly and is screwed down it is unlikely that it will move anyway, but IMO is worth doing in case any dirt is blocking anywhere on the connection strip. The fact that you are intermittently seeing some of your desktop, and your cursor says to me it is trying to boot and may not just be a RAM issue.

I would also follow JamJar's advice running a PE to see if you can read the NVMe card.

If you have an M.2 USB enclosure (or even a PCIe to M.2 adapter and a desktop computer) I would try taking out the NVMe card and trying on a different computer. I say this as you are unsure of what is actually on the drive, and this is another way of retrieving the data that is relatively easy (if you have the adapters). Will also troubleshoot a bit to make sure the problem isn't your NVMe itself. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, chrisinth said:

OP, if you do remove the back of your laptop, I personally would remove and re-seat your NVMe drive. If it is installed correctly and is screwed down it is unlikely that it will move anyway, but IMO is worth doing in case any dirt is blocking anywhere on the connection strip. The fact that you are intermittently seeing some of your desktop, and your cursor says to me it is trying to boot and may not just be a RAM issue.

I would also follow JamJar's advice running a PE to see if you can read the NVMe card.

If you have an M.2 USB enclosure (or even a PCIe to M.2 adapter and a desktop computer) I would try taking out the NVMe card and trying on a different computer. I say this as you are unsure of what is actually on the drive, and this is another way of retrieving the data that is relatively easy (if you have the adapters). Will also troubleshoot a bit to make sure the problem isn't your NVMe itself. 

Many problems are caused by tiny little insects.

I'd have thought it's dirt only. And the contacts at memory sticks do get loose from time to time when carrying it around.

I'd also try and connect an external monitor at the VGA, or HDMI connector. And update the drivers for Display Adapters, etc..

Edited by Isaanbiker

I have a problem with my Acer 6410 lap top in that it wont boot up.

When I do manage to get it to start it wont get past the bios and waits for me to do something to set it into motion. I can press f2 or f10 to get into the start mode but whatever I set it at, it then reboots back to bios.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a problem with my Acer 6410 lap top in that it wont boot up.

When I do manage to get it to start it wont get past the bios and waits for me to do something to set it into motion. I can press f2 or f10 to get into the start mode but whatever I set it at, it then reboots back to bios.

It could be different problems. When you're in your BIOS mode, do you see your hard drive as a boot media?

It could be a loose connection to your hard drive, or to the motherboard if you don't see your hard drive. 

You can touch the drive and feel if it's running. 

If your hard drive is working properly, please watch this. You could make a System Restore which would also fix any BIOS settings. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It could be different problems. When you're in your BIOS mode, do you see your hard drive as a boot media?

It could be a loose connection to your hard drive, or to the motherboard if you don't see your hard drive. 

You can touch the drive and feel if it's running. 

If your hard drive is working properly, please watch this. You could make a System Restore which would also fix any BIOS settings. 

Thank you.

I will try again tomorrow. 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, Gumballl said:

When running M$ OS (i.e. Windows 10), you previously have accepted the fact that you will not use your computer; M$ will.

Let the system update, ad infinitum, until it is ready for your use (should be a microsecond or two, before the next update cycle).

P.S. I use Kubuntu Linux on my laptop. I also have a Windows 10 VM. I was surprised that recent updates took less than an hour. I use the VM, if I'm unlucky, about once every 6 months.

Yeah, LINUX can boot from a memory stick. Bloatware sucks. (Am using an old Thinkpad X-131 E Chromebook. Bought it on Ebay for $ 50. it will boot in 7 seconds and power down in less than 2 seconds.

I am back from my travels and nothing has changed.

It is in safe mode with the spinning wheel still turning.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:54 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Why didn't you try a System Restore????

There were no previous restore points.

Win+R does not invoke the Run box.

I cannot click on the Search box because the cursor turns into the spinning wheel.

I took a panel off the back of the laptop and this is what I found:

20190806_154728_s.jpg.13372729c1e9c23314a91f45326ac84c.jpg

There does not seem to be any way of removing and re-seating the memory. It is however pretty clean with no visible dust or debris.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, chrisinth said:

I will give that a try next.

2 hours ago, Encid said:

I am back from my travels and nothing has changed.

It is in safe mode with the spinning wheel still turning.

There were no previous restore points.

Win+R does not invoke the Run box.

I cannot click on the Search box because the cursor turns into the spinning wheel.

I took a panel off the back of the laptop and this is what I found:

20190806_154728_s.jpg.13372729c1e9c23314a91f45326ac84c.jpg

There does not seem to be any way of removing and re-seating the memory. It is however pretty clean with no visible dust or debris.

I will give that a try next.

You need to move the clips outwards in order to remove the RAM module.

• Thanks 1