Thai construction: Seaside rental homes on verge of collapse in Chonburi

webfact

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chonburi governor Pakrathorn Thianchai has visited the scene and called for an investigation into the cause.

The cause? The cause??? Really?????

Well the cause seems rather clear to me, the cause is the Thais being greedy "keenow" as they say pushing it one step too far when they built the building, they probably went too far cutting corners and expenses by not strengthening the structure of the entire building in order to save a couple of thousands bahts here and there, leading to this disaster a couple of months/years later down the road.

Typical Thai behavior: "Save money first, talk later."

13 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Wonder what support structure this could be to rot? but at least the wardrobes are safe ????

Would you be surprised if they used wood in combination and direct contact with concrete?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Nope, that´s all wrong. First they talk about the project, sell it in and rent it out. After that they talk to the construction crew to save on what ever little thing they possibly can.

After (later)? When this happened and the damage is done! Now, we not gonna see anybody that want to talk or take responsibility.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

The cause? The cause??? Really?????

Well the cause seems rather clear to me, the cause is the Thais being greedy "keenow" as they say pushing it one step too far when they built the building, they probably went too far cutting corners and expenses by not strengthening the structure of the entire building in order to save a couple of thousands bahts here and there, leading to this disaster a couple of months/years later down the road.

Disaster?

Hardly.

• Confused 2

I've never liked pale blue as a house colour. They look like latrines.

Nothing new about this story and it happens all over Thailand .

Here in Bangkok the best built shop houses went up in the seventies and eighties. The modern ones are garbage. Four stories high but no bathroom except ground floor under the stairs.Bare concrete everywhere. Many built on drained swamp land in Bangkae,Nongyai Phetkasem.

Almost an entire street up in Rangsit had to be evacuated when the land subsided. Some farangs got caught up in that one.

I think it was a Hong Kong based Thai developer.

Nothing changes.

• Sad 1

I've seen it done many times here where the vegetation is not removed before filling the block, the back of my house sank 60mm about 8 years ago after days of prolonged rain, I suspect that the land wasn't cleared and 6' tall grass has folded over by the fill being dumped on top of it, creating a 60mm layer of vegetation that rotted away and the 1-1/2 metres of fill on top eventually caved in ????

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Chonburi governor Pakrathorn Thianchai has visited the scene and called for an investigation into the cause.

Think we all know it was shoddy building work...

Presume brown envelopes were used to persuade building inspectors to look the other way when they were built, and brown envelopes will be instrumental in hindering enquiries into the cause. 

you can all laugh it happened in the UK many years ago, the pre fab houses using 6ft x 6ft slabs of concrete, the re bar , rusted away. all the houses had to come down this was TROWBRIDGE wiltshire  UK, where i lived at the time, also other places were affected

11 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Would you be surprised if they used wood in combination and direct contact with concrete?

Concete and aluminium seems probable or more lightly footings or lack of, i asked a builder man to put up a wall about 1 mtr high and and 5 mtr long, i didn't ask for footings as i  didn't think i needed to, the wall was put straight onto about 6" of stone, if i tell you 3 men pushed it over to prove a point and it fell complete and didn't break, this proved the point to the unpaid builder who i haven't seen for 2 years, shoddy is the word I'm looking for.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Wonder what support structure this could be to rot? but at least the wardrobes are safe ????

Hell, the construction quality is so dismal here that even the concrete rots!

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Matzzon said:

Have you ever thought about that it can be a disaster for the families involved? Hardly not, right?

Since there were no deaths or injuries making the headlines, at most it would be a huge inconvenience to the unfortunate residents.

But I am not arguing your viewpoint.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since there were no deaths or injuries making the headlines, at most it would be a huge inconvenience to the unfortunate residents.

But I am not arguing your viewpoint.

I actually like it when it comes some news that don´t include death. ????