Thai wife of seriously ill British man threatened with deportation as husband ‘fears for his life’

webfact

18 hours ago, Topdoc said:

"They came to the UK last May, with a plan to go back to Thailand after Ms Leonardi’s six-month tourist visa expired."

Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

RE - Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

* NO - In Thailand as a foreigner you do not only take care of Your spouse, but all her Family inclusive their dog, chickens and buffaloes without  to qualify to stay … 

17 hours ago, gbswales said:

I agree with the original poster and I am living in the UK - at least this is the general direction it seems to be heading in if you look at who the clown (Johnson) has appointed to his cabinet.  I am stuck here for health reasons but if I could get out before the brexit mess concludes I would.

So the National Health is still good eh?Even with a "clown" in charge ALL health compromised expats jump on a plane for free treatment and all refugees head to US and UK!!

19 hours ago, thirdleg said:

What has Brexit got to do with racism and fascism.

The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world and fought against fascism, losing thousands upon thousands of lives.

I think you need to have a think about that. 

Come to Thailand and see some real racism and fascism where foreigner's movements are tracked every 24 hours by a Junta govt

The Brexit vote was won by fear mongering and reducing the influx of foreigners into the UK. plain and simple. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you never learned anything about British history? And don;t dismiss it as something from another era.  That past history isn't something radically different from current attitudes and behavior (although these days they can barely govern themselves let alone ruin the lives of others)  and they no longer have any serious influence on the lives of people anywhere outside their own island.

Let's end the myths of Britain's imperial past

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/oct/19/end-myths-britains-imperial-past

To defend its empire, to construct its rudimentary systems of communication and transport, and to man its plantation economies, the British used forced labour on a gigantic scale. From the middle of the 18th century until 1834, the use of non-indigenous black slave labour originally shipped from Africa was the rule. Indigenous manpower in many imperial states was also subjected to slave conditions, dragooned into the imperial armies, or forcibly recruited into road gangs – building the primitive communication networks that facilitated the speedy repression of rebellion. When black slavery was abolished in the 1830s, the thirst for labour by the rapacious landowners of empire brought a new type of slavery into existence, dragging workers from India and China to be employed in distant parts of the world, a phenomenon that soon brought its own contradictions and conflicts.

As with other great imperial constructs, the British empire involved vast movements of peoples: armies were switched from one part of the world to another; settlers changed continents and hemispheres; prisoners were sent from country to country; indigenous inhabitants were corralled, driven away into oblivion, or simply rubbed out.

and much more ...

I will dismiss that as something from another era.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Witless burk. 

Are you describing your self ? Or...? ????

16 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

You are wrong on all counts. Time to grow up.

Why do you say so?

14 hours ago, Bundooman said:

If that is in the slightest way true - 'by your reckoning' - then long may the UK stay that way.

Interesting to note that good 'ole' Ravip didn't criticise the terrorist loving and pacifist - anti-Semitic Labour leader, Corbyn amongst his hate profile...…... 

...then long may the UK stay that way.

I am 100% sure it will remain that way forever, or until some other nation takes over...????

12 hours ago, Helmet Grunter said:

I think you can change "the UK" to England ????????????????

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

evidence please.

The truth is bitter. It brings out the worst in people when it is mentioned bluntly. Couple of the above responses are absolute proof! Once upon a time... it was "Great Britain" or the "British Empire" - was all gained fair and square?

Today, we call "racism" bad and unacceptable. But we all know it still exist in abundance, but of course very "diplomatically"!

Search for it with an open mind and you will find it's existence very easily... most often at your door step... definitely not amongst the poor, undeveloped, corrupt nations.

Edited by ravip

20 hours ago, transam said:

Think you should look across the English channel first before you make daft statements about the UK...

REALLY? You call that a daft statement? Well... I understand YOUR point of view.

Yep, seen more than I like across the English channel!

Thank you anyway, for your "honest guidance" - you've done your best ????

• Like 1

Well thailand deports foreigners  for iver stay i have no problem with UK doing so.

Maybe ahe should  have asked for an extention before she was arrested

Does piss me off though  with the amount  of asylum seekers living in UK allowed to walk around  freely

If immigration  were like this with all nationalities i wouldnt be that  bothered  but it seems that thaid coming to UK is far harder than a Pakistani with their dangerous  beliefs and Syrians  extra and Somalians Africans 

I see people  coming from foreign countries to do harm yet they seem to be able to stay and leave when things get too hot for them

Thais i dont  really see coming  to UK to make trouble

Twisted UK government 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Topdoc said:

"They came to the UK last May, with a plan to go back to Thailand after Ms Leonardi’s six-month tourist visa expired."

Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

Obviously you are a person that would jump after the first person that jumps from a bridge because what 1 person does everybody does right ?? 

Atleast she has a chance which is more than what we have in Thailand.

Farang would be kept in an IDC cage before arranging money for a ticket then deported .

Probably have to pay a "fine" as well not to mention 6 uniformed clowns pointing at him during a media circus.

21 hours ago, gbswales said:

I agree with the original poster and I am living in the UK - at least this is the general direction it seems to be heading in if you look at who the clown (Johnson) has appointed to his cabinet.  I am stuck here for health reasons but if I could get out before the brexit mess concludes I would.

He has been PM for a week, hard to blame anything on him yet.

Cabinet is 50 - 50  remain and leave EU.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I am sure that in such circumstances the Thai authorities would let a spouse stay on humanitarian basis. Quite frankly, the UK immigration laws are inhuman in as much as they make it practically impossible for UK nationals to stay married to a foreigner and live in the UK, unless they are financially well off. Isn't a poor man or woman allowed to marry a non British partner and live at home. I know the Thai laws also don't allow this unless the partner has a certain income, but even at the low rate of exchange of the Pound there is still a huge difference between the financial requirements in the UK and Thailand. Reading the stories about people being deported from the UK (read the SUN or the Independent) , I can only say that this is an utter disgrace. The Thai regulations, which are being described as anti expatriates, are simply extra generous compared to the UK.

Rounded up numbers.

UK, average salary 35,500

Salary required for wife visa 18,600 

Thailand, average salary 168,000

Visa for marriage must show 400,000

A 10% difference.

22 hours ago, ravip said:

The UK is now a fascist and racist state...

History says it was always that.

So Thailand has a model government on which all governments should strive to emulate? And Thais have no history of making race-based distinctions when dealing with farang and other outsiders?  All human beings, and all countries, exhibit varying degrees of fascism and racism. These tendencies will never go away completely; they're part of the human condition. The UK has made innumerable positive contributions to the advancement of humanity, most notably English Law, and to ignore that while making the extreme statement that it sits squarely in the political camp of a Nazi Germany, a Maoist China, or a Stalinist Russia is unfair, extreme and ridiculous. 

Edited by Uptooyoo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Just shows another time of Thai inhumane behavior.

21 hours ago, paulswebb said:

I think that English immigration is getting more like Thai immigration every day. Difference is Thai officialdom does not like foreigners whereas English immigration does not like the English.

19 hours ago, JohnnyChristo said:

And Thai government are so fair about  expat visas?  

19 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Most probably not. But we don't have to cope the same stupid xenophobic attitude as the Thai authorities.

The OP is about an incident that has occurred in the UK.

It is absolutely incomprehensible how many posts try to compare the UK Immigration with the Thai Immigration. You may ask why?

1. The UK is considered one of the TOP developed countries on this planet - Thailand NOT.

2. In the UK the citizens are highly educated, intelligent, tolerant, civilized etc - In Thailand NOT.

3. To summarize - The UK is closer to the 100% perfect country to live in where as Thailand is no where near!

So, when the UK Immigration does something unpalatable for some, why bring an undeveloped corrupt nation into the picture? Is it absolutely necessary? Or is it to just "dilute" the bitter taste?

Yes, I am aware that  Thai citizen is involved and that this is the TVF too!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Wife not have the right living with husband ? This is madness.

Only if the husband can prove he meets the financial criteria to support his wife; she passes the English language standard test; and some minion working for an outsourced sub-contract visa processing company deems it a genuine marriage!

Britain - once the envy of the world for many things, including it's civil service. Now a Tory outsourced/privatized inefficient, ineffective crap heap where only the rich and connected matter.

54 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

So Thailand has a model government on which all governments should strive to emulate? And Thais have no history of making race-based distinctions when dealing with farang and other outsiders?  All human beings, and all countries, exhibit varying degrees of fascism and racism. These tendencies will never go away completely; they're part of the human condition. The UK has made innumerable positive contributions to the advancement of humanity, most notably English Law, and to ignore that while making the extreme statement that it sits squarely in the political camp of a Nazi Germany, a Maoist China, or a Stalinist Russia is unfair, extreme and ridiculous. 

An unwarranted comparison which doesn't change the context of the posters assessment of Britain over the centuries.

English law, by which I'm guessing you are referring to common law principles has influenced many countries but far less than the codified Napoleonic French law system. 

If you were a country that was forcibly included in the British Empire you may well have an opinion of Britain that compares them to a fascist racist entity similar of other Empire builders.

However, this OP is about the current Home Office and their somewhat insensitive and select application of the current rules. May was responsible for much of this whilst Home Secretary. 

Had the lady been a billionaire crook or illegal economic migrant she'd probably been treated better!

The annoying thing is this again demonstrates the lack of rights a British citizen has, i,e, the husband has, in modern Britain as successive Tory governments seek to differentiate rights based on wealth classifcations,

The plain and simple side of the story is that she tried to apply for her extension/visa inside of England. Whereas the criteria say she must apply for it back in Thailand. Between 2003 when he was diagnosed with liver failure who looked after him until she recently came to stay with him. They married in 2015. Had plenty of time to sort this out. 

• Like 1

FO? Does that stand for Foreign Office or f--- off?

"Rules are for the obediance of fools and for the guidance of wise men" Attributed to Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, DL, FRAeS.

Perhaps the FO does not employ people with commonsense!

He’s obviously been living in Thailand, became ill couldn’t or more likely didn’t want to pay for treatment. So off he goes cap in hand sponging off the good old NHS, The world is full of them especially Thailand.

So?  What's up with the thousands mus/lims migrants coming Illegaly with no documents, and never being deported...?  I assume she when through immigration after landing,  so she must be in the system already with a valid passport / visa,  etc.. She might have over stay..maybe she should convert....... 

18 minutes ago, Caine said:

He’s obviously been living in Thailand, became ill couldn’t or more likely didn’t want to pay for treatment. So off he goes cap in hand sponging off the good old NHS, The world is full of them especially Thailand.

He was diagnosed with kidney failure in 2003. Shortly after he has a transplant and it fails. He also suffers from seizures. I'd imagine he'd be too sick to fly abroad but somehow manages to do so in 2015 to marry his Teerak who he possibly met on a dating site cuz of being unable to travel. Who was looking after him in between?

1 hour ago, Caine said:

What an arrogant post.

Theresa May as Home Secretary introduced the hostile environment with a set of regulations devoid of any provision for compassionate circumstances such as this. "Caring" introduces a different and complex perspective.

I met my wife in 2005, married in 2008 and have lived in our own home in Chonburi ever since. On Tuesday we visited a friend of my wife's in Siriraj hospital, she has water in the lungs and been given 6 months to live, treatment is in the order of 50K a month in an ordinary open ward, nothing special.

On leaving the hospital my wife said what would I do if something similar were to happen to me. I would have little choice but to return to the UK and "sponge" off the NHS, but having paid 49 years NI I would disagree with the terminology. The regulations would prohibit my wife coming for any length of time as state pension is well below income threshold. so I would effectively be on my own. This would in due course probably lead to being treated as an inpatient in a hospital wasting resources rather than cared for in the community.  Of course those with an immigration obsession have little regard for the workings of the NHS and social care, but it really is time things changed and decisions regarding immigration status on a caring basis were decided by doctors rather than bureaucrats.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 12:04 PM, ICELANDMAN said:

Wife not have the right living with husband ? This is madness.

I am a father of a Thai child and because the f.king ex-wife is making life miserable, hard to get a visa to raise my daughter while ex-wife f. around and does not care a ...

how about them apples ...

maybe of more of them are getting the treatment we get here, would be nice, but government does not give a s.t about their own people so why would they care of farang

not trolling

went to immigration twice, with all the needed papers and daughter and immigration said F.off and go get a tourist visa but did not forget to mention first in an f.ing ironic way, who will report when you come back (tm30) which ex-wife off course will not produce ...

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Why not go further back and blame the Romans. They originated the law system in uk.

This 2019 not 1819.

To be honest, the entire lot is to be blamed for the condition this planet is in now. The blame game is been played relentlessly by the perpetrators.

IMHO

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, Brickbat said:

Home Office Minister ia Javid, son of a Pakistani London bus driver. It’s to do with rules and bogged in govt politics 

The best and most suitable person that they could find in the entire (Un)United Kingdom?

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

FO? Does that stand for Foreign Office or f--- off?

"Rules are for the obediance of fools and for the guidance of wise men" Attributed to Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, DL, FRAeS.

Perhaps the FO does not employ people with commonsense!

Where exactly do they fit into all this?

Edited by evadgib

3 hours ago, Caine said:

Entirely his prerogative as a Brit.

• Like 1