Drunk driver who killed two given suspended sentence

webfact

On 7/31/2019 at 2:52 PM, Cadbury said:

Sounds like big money has changed hands at the top end of town. A golden opportunity taken advantage of by some wig to make a bundle. 

Thailand's appalling Corruption Perception Index ratings are preserved.

Did'nt the new Prime minister say something about stopping corruption. Well now is his chance to start rolling heads. Come on sir , i challenge you to investigate this case.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:51 PM, madmitch said:

Banned from drinking alcohol? Interesting one. Does this mean if he gets caught having a sneaky black label at the local restaurant he could end up in jail for two years?

But not from driving ?

On 7/31/2019 at 4:05 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Lets take another look, OTHER than the Western perpective;

He gets a life sentence.

Or 10 or 20 years in prison.

The kids and family get nothing other than vengeance and have two dead parents.

or the Thai perspective.

The family is set up for life financially, and if the funds are spent and invested wisely, the kids should get a high end education.

This particular incident, unlike many other hi profile HiSo incidents, the perp was deeply affected by it all and genuinely remorseful. And he never ducked responsibility nor tried to escape the law with high end lawyers.

I'm not sticking up for the guy either, he committed a wrong, and he has to pay for it.

Has he paid for it?

I can't answer that.

All depends on what is your idea of payment .

On 7/31/2019 at 7:01 PM, lust said:

I wonder what the kids would prefer. 45,000,000 baht, or getting nothing and seeing some guy spend his remaining years locked away in a prison. As tragic as it is, the parents are dead. Neither outcome brings them back. At least with the money, they will have their futures sorted out if it’s properly managed.

I wonder what are the terms of his "gift" of all this money, and will they ever get it. This is probably questionable.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, kcpattaya said:

At least that is better than spend 3 years in jail and give them nothing.

Have you any proof that he has paid, i doubt it, he has probably promised the money with conditions over the next 50 years, remember he is a millionaire business man.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Have you any proof that he has paid, i doubt it, he has probably promised the money with conditions over the next 50 years, remember he is a millionaire business man.

Do you have any proof he has not paid it?

13 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Did'nt the new Prime minister say something about stopping corruption. Well now is his chance to start rolling heads. Come on sir , i challenge you to investigate this case.

What the hell are you blabbering on about?

On August 1, 2019 at 10:18 AM, thaiguzzi said:

If you going to comment, please read up on the case first.

1. The guy will not drink again. He is already teetotal. The affair has affected him deeply (and so it should) and he is genuinely remorseful.

2. Everyone, inc the police, and the victim's family, are satisfied with the outcome in trying circumstances.

You sound like you are apologizing for this guy......so he's remorseful, big deal.....what else is he going to say? And he is now a teetotaler......Wow! How impressive......he should have gone down that road before he killed people. I am not impressed by any of this nonsense. He killed people with a deadly weapon.....not much different than using a gun. Dead is dead. 

• Confused 1

In Australia it would  Throw Him in the  Slammer Throw away the KEY. Do not pass GO don't not collect $200. No 1 shoe rule here in Thailand, The Richer you are The Smaller the Sentence. The REST of The WORLD is Laughing at the So Called Thailand LAW.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 3:45 AM, THE REVERAND said:

In Australia it would  Throw Him in the  Slammer Throw away the KEY. Do not pass GO don't not collect $200. No 1 shoe rule here in Thailand, The Richer you are The Smaller the Sentence. The REST of The WORLD is Laughing at the So Called Thailand LAW.   

Wrong, The rest of the world dont even read any Thai news like this.

So would it be better in Australia? 

Big fine go to government, and not a cent to the the kids.

The guy gets provided hotel accomodation for life at taxpayer expense..

and kids get to go to some horrible orphin house, no thought for their future. sounds like justice..yey

at least the guy set them up in life with big$

more than Australia ever do for victims im sure

Edited by tingtongtourist

Jailing people fulfils more than one purpose.

It may be true that he is unlikely to commit this kind of crime again so he is not a danger to others. It may be true that he has settled with the family of the victims so they are compensated for their loss. Unfortunately, harsh jail terms for reckless behaviour should also act as a warning to others to not indulge in that behaviour. This is the big problem. If you continue to show leniency and mercy with crimes like this then people will not be put off drink driving and the culture will not change into one in which drink driving is completely unacceptable.