Small(est) bike which can carry 200kg+

moogradod

1 hour ago, jirathama said:

Dont do the mistake and get a motorcycle with shifting, when in traffic, parking decks etc. i would go for an automatic. Honda has a 750cc Bike with an automatic. You may seem them used once in a while. The Forza 300 or XMax 300 are what i would test drive. You can rent them everywhere for a day. Costs new about 165.000,--bht. If price doesnt matter, look at the Yamaha TMax with 530cc or the BMW scooter with 650cc. So, you see, plenty of choices ????

The last scooter I was riding with shifting was an extremely old Vespa with 3 gears to be shifted by hand. It was the model with 2 seperate seats - 60s or even 50s. Must have been some 47 years ago I was riding this Vespa. For Pattaya as you say: Only automatic. On my list are now Forza 300, Xmax 300 and TMax or even a SYM. I would love to have the BMW, but I do not want to spend that much.

Edited by moogradod

If interested in a 150cc scooter, check out either the Nmax or Vespa 150 GTS, both of which have dual disk brakes.  Personally, I would not consider a bike with drum brakes in this day and age.... and in this country with terrible "drivers".  If you want to move up, Suzuki make both a 200cc and 400cc scooter.  I had a 200 Burgman for 4 years and it was a great bike with amazing storage space under the seat and fantastic brakes.  I looked at the 400cc and the BKK auto show in April and the price was not known at that time.  It may be available now?  The 400 is a Japan import while the 200cc is made in Thailand.

Many people like the PCX.  I owned one for about a year and would not even look at one again.  Had serious clutch vibration when taking off.  The local "mechanics" kept claiming this vibration was "normal".  The PCX also continues to be manufactured with a read drum brake.

the X-ADV is a 750 cc and brutally expensive I believe. I saw one the other day it didn't look that much bigger than the 300 cc of Yamaha or Honda except for the tires which seemed far wider. I definitely was a long bike 
Maybe you saw a Honda NM4: https://www.aphonda.co.th/hondabigbike/motorcycle/automatic/nm4

It's BIG, and it's expensive, around half a million.

I saw it in the Honda Safety Riding Park some months ago, it's really impressive, it's a cruiser big bike but scooter style. I've seen a couple of them in the highways during the last months.

images%20(1).jpg

34 minutes ago, ragpicker said:

If interested in a 150cc scooter, check out either the Nmax or Vespa 150 GTS, both of which have dual disk brakes.  Personally, I would not consider a bike with drum brakes in this day and age.... and in this country with terrible "drivers".  If you want to move up, Suzuki make both a 200cc and 400cc scooter.  I had a 200 Burgman for 4 years and it was a great bike with amazing storage space under the seat and fantastic brakes.  I looked at the 400cc and the BKK auto show in April and the price was not known at that time.  It may be available now?  The 400 is a Japan import while the 200cc is made in Thailand.

Many people like the PCX.  I owned one for about a year and would not even look at one again.  Had serious clutch vibration when taking off.  The local "mechanics" kept claiming this vibration was "normal".  The PCX also continues to be manufactured with a read drum brake.

The clutch vibration has been solved years ago, it's a glazing of the clutch problem. But I agree that the PCX is inferior in its braking system, as well as small in size to what OP is needing.

I have a Honda Forza 300 (Old model 2013) up rated rear shockers to gas assisted adjustable YSS units regular ride with a lady on back and shopping/gear - loaded in your range, no issues with riding, up hills distance or just to shops/local. Has plenty of power/torque and stability when loaded.

You do need to ride any bikes on your list first, example: New model Forza and Yamaha Xmax are both higher seat height so if your are short in the leg they may not be the ideal for you... Hire them first and use a few days this tells you/helps your choice. There are pros & cons to all models... IMO 150cc bike is scratching at the weight/load yo are talking about, a 300cc model is the better option.

17 hours ago, aremesal said:

Maybe you saw a Honda NM4: https://www.aphonda.co.th/hondabigbike/motorcycle/automatic/nm4

I saw it in the Honda Safety Riding Park some months ago, it's really impressive, it's a cruiser big bike but scooter style. I've seen a couple of them in the highways during the last months.

images%20(1).jpg

Thanks for the picture. I have never seen this kind of bike before. Very modern version of a low rider but I am still struggling with myself if I like the design. If the price is as well in the region of 0.5 Mio I would demand a perfect bike in all respects for that. GIven the enormous price difference we would rather opt for a 300cc scooter at a third of the cost. If I wanted a low rider for pleasure drives, maybe some very high cc tourer. They used to make this 2200 cc (or so) bike with vintage looks (forgot the name, something with "V" in the front).

18 hours ago, aremesal said:

images%20(1).jpg

Hi aremesal It was definatly an X-ADV I saw the logo clearly as It was out side my Pharmacist shop but he got busy so didn't get a chance to chat as we usually do. He also has a Ducati tourer I don't know the model But finances to see to make  much a a problem. I have seen him graduate through all the city scooter  PCx, Forsa , N-Max and now this one. But it has the same transmission as your bike in the photo. all the best Randell

1 hour ago, Randell said:

Hi aremesal It was definatly an X-ADV I saw the logo clearly as It was out side my Pharmacist shop but he got busy so didn't get a chance to chat as we usually do. He also has a Ducati tourer I don't know the model But finances to see to make  much a a problem. I have seen him graduate through all the city scooter  PCx, Forsa , N-Max and now this one. But it has the same transmission as your bike in the photo. all the best Randell

I just got a text from my Pharmacist buddy and He got the X_ADV 750 from Big Wing CR for 420,000 baht

47 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Around town 3 of us ride a Scoopi, Figure about 170 Kilo on a 110cc bike.

Aren't you the same guy in another thread that accused the XMax of being fugly?

And now we find out you ride around on a Scoopi?

That's pretty funny. ????????

I have an NMax and an XMax. Either one would do the job. But there is a lot of difference in the ride between these two bikes.

The XMax is way more heavy-duty, rides smoother, and has a lot more power than the NMax. 

Between the two, I would recommend the XMax for the OP to carry that big of a load. 

However, the NMax is a much more agile at low speeds.

Both are great bikes. Fugly or not. ????

Edited by Issanman

15 hours ago, Issanman said:

Aren't you the same guy in another thread that accused the XMax of being fugly?

And now we find out you ride around on a Scoopi?

That's pretty funny. ????????

I have an NMax and an XMax. Either one would do the job. But there is a lot of difference in the ride between these two bikes.

The XMax is way more heavy-duty, rides smoother, and has a lot more power than the NMax. 

Between the two, I would recommend the XMax for the OP to carry that big of a load. 

However, the NMax is a much more agile at low speeds.

Both are great bikes. Fugly or not. ????

Yes here I am, Scoopi is my old lady's choice, not same same as the other large bikes. I'm more of a Raider fan, about to get another. Having a manual shifter makes driving more fun.

Oh, and thanks for thinking of me.....

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 2

If you are not going up and down steep hills, a pcx 150 or simular with upgraded suspension will do their job. 

300 Forza and alike, take alot more space parking, driving in heavy traffic etc, but should be considered to. But upgrade your suspension shockers. You will find YSS everywhere in every small bike garage, and should not be more than 4000 baht + minus for the back, but since your weight is above 200, you might think about upgrading the front to. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

If you are not going up and down steep hills, a pcx 150 or simular with upgraded suspension will do their job. 

300 Forza and alike, take alot more space parking, driving in heavy traffic etc, but should be considered to. But upgrade your suspension shockers. You will find YSS everywhere in every small bike garage, and should not be more than 4000 baht + minus for the back, but since your weight is above 200, you might think about upgrading the front to. 

300 Forza is the smallest I might consider, upgrade of suspension even then necessary just to be sure ..... although we are both not exactly as voluminous as the guy above. We tried a small bike like a 110cc once since in the village there was no other choice - and the tiny tire was flat after some short riding.

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

The black bike or th low rider ( low to the ground easy entry)

D2BAB22B-2864-48AB-BB8A-C286EDBB7E8F.jpeg

Good enough for a stationary display or does this one have a hydraulic suspension ? After all quite the opposite of my taste anyway.

14 minutes ago, moogradod said:

300 Forza is the smallest I might consider, upgrade of suspension even then necessary just to be sure ..... although we are both not exactly as voluminous as the guy above. We tried a small bike like a 110cc once since in the village there was no other choice - and the tiny tire was flat after some short riding.

Then Forza for sure will do the job. Keep us updated. 

The only thing, is the small tiny parking options you got many places, and Im happy tu mutt every time I see a big bike parking at the malls we visiting. 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, moogradod said:

At least it is small. But where to put my wife and all the groceries ? And then the comfort .... after careful consideration I conclude: This is not it

How long have you been in Thailand? This is large enough to accommodate an extended Issan family.

6 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

How long have you been in Thailand? This is large enough to accommodate an extended Issan family.

The first time I set my foot on Thai soil was back in 1975. Have been riding bikes in LOS since then. And yes, the Isaan people are slim and at least 5 (one should be a baby though) will fit on a standard 110cc bike. I have seen them riding like this. But they would better not need to make an emergency stop ????

On 8/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Tagged said:

Then Forza for sure will do the job. Keep us updated. 

The only thing, is the small tiny parking options you got many places, and Im happy tu mutt every time I see a big bike parking at the malls we visiting. 

The hardest part is that I need to convince myself that we will need (want) a motorbike to avoid riding the expensive car we have just bought although there seems to be a parking problem even then. ????

But nevertheless I will visit a Honda dealer in the vicinity. I think there is a reasonably big one up on Sukhumvit. Lets see if they have a 2019 Forza. Then it is love on first sight or sigh.

• 1 month later...

OK, we will definitely get both a PCX for my stepdaughter (seems there is no N-Max 2019 (discontinued ?)) and either a Honda Forza or Yamaha X-Max for us heavy ones. Not absolutely sure which one is better. Still looking for sincere comparisons. Any link appreciated.

I went to a large motorbike shop in Pattaya to get a quotation. Both bikes can be ordered with a theft insurance 2 years at 70% (60% in the second year) of the value - which has to be paid seperately. But they do not offer what you get when buying a car: A first class insurance that includes theft as well. And they will not exchange the suspension, but it is possible to do that in another shop just around the corner then. Apart from some questionable Helmet and some other low value goodies they do not give any incentives while offering at list price. At least the delivery time is unbeatable for bikes in stock in 1 hour and appr. 4 weeks if the desired color is not available.

Is this lack of insurance for motorbikes common practice here ? It seems to me that a first class insurance equal to that of a car would be a necessity for motorbikes, which might be more prone to accidents. Or do you all drive around uninsured, and if no where to ask (Roojai ?) and what be the approx. cost for a PCX and a Forza ? Is it not that a minimum insurance is mandatory ? And then the proposed "theft insurance" would be obsolete - or not ?

Thank you all for clarifying if possible.

The new Nmax will probably be released end of this year, but nothing confirmed yet, so could as well be next year.

There is not much on offer regarding insurances for small bikes, for example Roojai don't offer anything for small bikes. I would expect that it's possible to get first class insurance for something like a Forza, but not sure, never had such a bike.

The bike will have compulsary insurance, which covers some medical costs, and the Honda shop will offer an additional theft insurance for a thousand baht per year or so.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Get the Xmax as it has a little bit more HP than the Forza. Will make a difference if you're on the heavy side. 

Also, get the Nmax for your daughter; the ABS brakes are worth it. I have the PCX and the brakes are sh**.  You can still find an Nmax 2019 model somewhere, or better yet wait for the 2020 model coming soon.

you can easily find good scooter/bike insurance here https://misterprakan.com/

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alx123 said:

Get the Xmax as it has a little bit more HP than the Forza. Will make a difference if you're on the heavy side. 

Also, get the Nmax for your daughter; the ABS brakes are worth it. I have the PCX and the brakes are sh**.  You can still find an Nmax 2019 model somewhere, or better yet wait for the 2020 model coming soon.

you can easily find good scooter/bike insurance here https://misterprakan.com/

I did not find yet a good comprehensive comparison and test of Xmax and Forza. Do you know how many hp for both of them ? Very strange that this important data is not revealed openly by the manufacturers. Will only disturb the customers for it has to be checked anyway. As the title of this thread suggests weight of about 200+kg has to be transported ????

Sadly, Nmax for daughter not feasible, cannot wait for the 2020 model. Bad experience from our car, took ages between announcement and delivery so it obviously must be the PCX although I am not happy at all with the non-ABS either. Aerox would be the only option I see. My daughter is 155 cm tall. Reliability is an issue.

Thanks for the link to misterprakan, but since the link on their website to get instant offers does not work I have emailed them to get quotations for Level 2 insurance for the PCX and 1st class insurance for the Forza/Xmax. Will see what I get and will then compare to whatever info I can gather.