Small(est) bike which can carry 200kg+

moogradod

Has anybody an idea what the smallest (or rather small - not a Boss Hoss) motorbike could be that may carry 200+ kg safely ? My wife and myself would weight 200 max together and then some 10-20kg max for the shopping.

Even a quite Maxi Scooter (Nmax 300 or so) might not qualify (not sure). I have seen motorbikes on the street that ressemble half a scooter and half a motorbike. They look good, too but I do not know even what brand it was.

Edited by moogradod

a 150 cc nmax will do it for you,

acceleration and uphill get slower of course,

but it will do the job.

i recommend test drive some 2nd hand bikes,

i got impressed with the balance & braking qualities of nmax

Edited by brokenbone

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Try the Honda PCX, my wife and I are almost 200Kg (most of that is me), found it to be very comfortable. Make sure the tyres are inflated correctly.

Nice small scooter. But maybe too small ? Cannot forget this "Motorbike" I saw at a gas station which was the exact opposite of a naked bike since it ressembled a scooter as well. This one must have been well above 500cc. Unfortunately I did not get out of the car to have a closer look.

10 hours ago, brokenbone said:

a 150 cc nmax will do it for you,

acceleration and uphill get slower of course,

but it will do the job.

i recommend test drive some 2nd hand bikes,

i got impressed with the balance & braking qualities of nmax

Many recommend the nmax also because of the ABS. Unfortunately it is really ugly. And small, maybe too small. But if it seems even acceptable to consider a 150cc bike, then a 300 or 500 Maxi Scooter will do the trick (although if you read the specs, it may not officially carry 200kg)

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Nice small scooter. But maybe too small ? Cannot forget this "Motorbike" I saw at a gas station which was the exact opposite of a naked bike since it ressembled a scooter as well. This one must have been well above 500cc. Unfortunately I did not get out of the car to have a closer look.

The machine you're referring to here is very likely a Honda. I saw one that matches your description at a mini bike fair in Udon Thani 3 years ago, or so.

Kind of like a 'motorcycle in drag'. Looked like a scooter, but is in fact a motorcycle. You're right that it was a large capacity machine, 500cc or bigger.

But I have the feeling that it was a concept bike. I've been through Honda's line up website but there is no reference to it.

Of course there another option. A number of falangs use these in Udon Thani.

tuk-tuk-von-thailand-400-1056785.jpg

• Like 1

Of no real help to our OP, a little anecdote.

Years ago when I lived in the UK I was friendly with a couple, let's call them Mike and Sarah.

Mike was 35 stone (220kg, 485lbs ), Sarah about 20 stone (130kg, 286lbs).

They used to buzz around on a 250cc Honda Superdream, a fact which immediately elevated Honda motorcycles in my eyes.

Another mate, Steve, who is beanpole thin, did comment "That's the first Heavy Goods Motorcycle I've seen".

Sadly both Mike and Sarah have now passed on, their weights really weren't conducive to long life ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The machine you're referring to here is very likely a Honda. I saw one that matches your description at a mini bike fair in Udon Thani 3 years ago, or so.

Kind of like a 'motorcycle in drag'. Looked like a scooter, but is in fact a motorcycle. You're right that it was a large capacity machine, 500cc or bigger.

But I have the feeling that it was a concept bike. I've been through Honda's line up website but there is no reference to it.

Of course there another option. A number of falangs use these in Udon Thani.

tuk-tuk-von-thailand-400-1056785.jpg

Maybe it was a Honda Integra or X-ADV. Had a look at pictures on the web now but I do not remember clearly. But as you say - more motorbike than scooter, that is: More expensive than cheap. A tuk-tuk would be fun but is a no go in the Pattaya traffic. We have a car in that case.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I believe a 300cc with an upgraded suspension can comfortably carry both of you, Forza 300 or Xmax 300. 

Anything above that won't be an ideal motorbike for a trip to  big C. Get a car in that case. 

You hit the nail on the head. We HAVE a car. This motorbike I am talking about must really have an advantage in the Pattaya traffic (plus parking - a terrible bore if you want to LEAVE the parking of Central Festival from the 5th parking floor on a weekend).

I will have a look at both models you mention. Then there is a Honda Integra or X-ADV, but these are probably very much more expensive. In Switzerland we did ride a Suzuki 125 Burgman (with a really very huge storage space), but at the time we both had less weight. We both love to eat ????. And besides our daughter might use the motobike/scooter, too.

the X-ADV is a 750 cc and brutally expensive I believe. I saw one the other day it didn't look that much bigger than the 300 cc of Yamaha or Honda except for the tires which seemed far wider. I definitely was a long bike 

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

You hit the nail on the head. We HAVE a car. This motorbike I am talking about must really have an advantage in the Pattaya traffic (plus parking - a terrible bore if you want to LEAVE the parking of Central Festival from the 5th parking floor on a weekend).

I will have a look at both models you mention. Then there is a Honda Integra or X-ADV, but these are probably very much more expensive. In Switzerland we did ride a Suzuki 125 Burgman (with a really very huge storage space), but at the time we both had less weight. We both love to eat ????. And besides our daughter might use the motobike/scooter, too.

A 300cc can carry a 200 kgs load for sure. Just upgrade the OEM suspension into much stiffer ones to make your ride comfortable. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You really do need to be looking at 150cc upwards. My wife and I currently shop on our Click 125cc. We collectively weigh in at around 150Kg and once fully laden I reckon we've maxed out.

Honda PCX, Yamaha Earox (my next bike) or the Nmax would all fit the bill. All of these bikes have very large under seat storage and you could also fit a 'top box' to augment the luggage space.

Happy riding.

I found that after 6 years of being pampered here in Thailand that my Honda  110 Airblade was not able to carry me and my Love up steep grade scans so... This year traded up to a Yamahe 155 Aerox. Now no issue. PCX 150 vs...compare the costs.

22 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I found that after 6 years of being pampered here in Thailand that my Honda  110 Airblade was not able to carry me and my Love up steep grade scans so... This year traded up to a Yamahe 155 Aerox. Now no issue. PCX 150 vs...compare the costs.

Steep grades are not much of an issue where we live in the flat lands of rural Issan. We do have the hill range to the south of Sakon Nakhon where I go and have fun rides, but I don't take her ladyship. She'd be forever shouting 'slow down!' ????

Thanks for the tip regarding the Earox. It's had plenty of praise on TVF so I reckon it must be a good choice.

Happy riding. ????

Since you mentioned a Burgman in the States. Here in Thailand Suzuki is selling the 200cc and 650cc (with ABS). The big one is 389.000,--list price.

I drove a NMax for 2 years, iam above 100kg, my wife 55kg. Already i felt the bike a bit small, leave alone the small under the seat storage(relatively).

I bought a bit of an exotic scooter in Thailand, a SYM 300i with ABS. Used for a good price. I feel much more happy on it and my wife too..with huge under seat compartment. SYM has even bigger cc scooters here, i think 400cc i saw the other day. These are, in my opinion, a good deal if someone has already a car and doesnt want to spend too much for a bike.

Dont do the mistake and get a motorcycle with shifting, when in traffic, parking decks etc. i would go for an automatic. Honda has a 750cc Bike with an automatic. You may seem them used once in a while. The Forza 300 or XMax 300 are what i would test drive. You can rent them everywhere for a day. Costs new about 165.000,--bht. If price doesnt matter, look at the Yamaha TMax with 530cc or the BMW scooter with 650cc. So, you see, plenty of choices ????

I'm over 200kg alone (and 6'3), with the wife we're north of 250kg.  We have a PCX150.  It runs us around town (Pattaya) without a whimper. 

I wouldn't want to go cross country on it but urban it's fine - it will run happily at 80kph 2-up, which is as much as I'm comfortable with on Thai roads and an open face helmet.

I do believe that the Nmax is superior technologically, but it's also physically smaller, hence the PCX for me.

I have a PCX 150 and while it moves along at a decent clip it is NOT great at slowing down.

Given the weight you would be proposing to put on it I worry it would be horrific in the event of an emergency stop.

Something you might want to think about before you purchase one.

Edited by Rookiescot
typos
  • Like 1