Do I need a degree?

Hello. I am from the UK. Aged 51. I am married with kids, and have been living here on marriage-based visa extensions for about 10 years.

There is a possibility I will be offered a job by a US company that has an subsidiary/office here in Bangkok. It will be a staff position and I will require a work permit.

Thing is, I don't have a degree. Will that be a problem in obtaining the work permit?

Thank you for any knowledgable posts.

J

Of course not. If the company believes you can do the job they will give it to you and apply for the work permit on your behalf. If immigration/labour dept. is picky they may ask for documented proof of related work experience but not necessarily.

Remember you cannot refuse a job until it has been offered.  

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Of course not. If the company believes you can do the job they will give it to you and apply for the work permit on your behalf once you get here. 

Thank you. I am living here in Bangkok already. Would that create a problem.

Sorry, just trying to make sure I can foresee any potential pitfalls.

9 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

So technically is a degree required in order to obtain a work permit? 

No. Many clever people who earn good money don't have degrees.

If it makes you feel better the Technical Director of the European Space Program doesn't have a degree. Or his predecessor didn't unless he still works there. It was a while ago.

Edited by VocalNeal
Thought OP understood the original statement
  • Like 2

I have extensive work experience in the job I will be asked to do. And I have some qualifications in the job area I will be asked to do. 

Just no degree. 

Seems to be contrasting opinions about this. But noting ubonjoe's responses. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Well at least two people have told you no you don't need a degree. Are you sure you are clever enough for the job????

LOL! Good question. We will see!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If it makes you feel better the Technical Director of the European Space Program doesn't have a degree. Or his predecessor didn't unless he still works there. It was a while ago.

People who have no degree always say this stuff. It isn't necessary in some cases but is essential in others. It shows focus and commitment at the very least. In the OP case he doesn't need one.

• Like 2

I have two friends who work in finance here who don't have degrees. They left school early and grew up in the industry. They don't need one by law for their job. Their boss is foreign and employed them because he wanted to. 

There is certainly no requirement for a degree to get a Work Permit (except for teaching). 

You may be asked by immigration or labour to confirm your qualifications, but this is just a form to fill and sign, no proof asked.

In the last 20 years I've been asked for my degree exactly once and that was by a potential employer.

Waay, back when I was at uni it was oft stated that the degree gets you your first job, after that it's experience, reputation and networking. Still true today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What does this have to do with getting a work permit in Thailand?

6 hours ago, JRG23 said:

I have extensive work experience in the job I will be asked to do. And I have some qualifications in the job area I will be asked to do. 

Just no degree. 

Seems to be contrasting opinions about this. But noting ubonjoe's responses. Thank you.

That is all that matters. When you apply for the WP you have to lay out your work experience etc to justify your suitability for the position.

You don’t need a degree unless the job (employer) requires one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Just no degree. 

A degree is a requirement of the employer not the labor department so if your employer is happy all is well.

I have a work permit and I didn't complete a degree only partial so I don't have the paper.

When you get the job could you refer me please to a position as I would like a job too, thanks. ????

• Haha 1

It is important to note that if a Thai person could potentially do your job, eg HR or similar, or it is a job reserved for Thais, eg civil engineer, they may refuse a work permit whether you have a degree or not.

I have no degree, my first job in Thailand in 2008 my employer got me a work permit for my special experience and knowledge. Since then I have married a Thai and we have formed a consulting company. She is the managing director and employs me. We had to have some declared share capital and fill out a form, which an agent helped me to process with the Labour Dept to get a work permit. We then rent out my company's services, which I supply. Many consultants use this method. 

Document your experience. It is up to your employer to get you the WP they will have to argue their case to the department of Labor that you are the one best suited for the job.  If need be they can/should engage a lawyer to assist you.  I am not sure.   I am not an expert in Thai law.  I was informed that the rules related to work had changed recently if you hold a "marriage" visa.  Again I am not sure. In any event it is your employer that is responsible for your work permit.

Edited by OffshoreMig

12 hours ago, JRG23 said:

So technically is a degree required in order to obtain a work permit? 

Still not clear about that. Any info would be great.

Oh, and this job offer is not teaching.

Thanks.

A degree is needed for people who want to start teaching.

You don't need a degree if the company doesn't want to see one. 

If a company hires you they have to provide all necessary documents for you to apply for a work permit.

Edited by Isaanbiker

13 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Document your experience. It is up to your employer to get you the WP they will have to argue their case to the department of Labor that you are the one best suited for the job.  If need be they can/should engage a lawyer to assist you.  I am not sure.   I am not an expert in Thai law.  I was informed that the rules related to work had changed recently if you hold a "marriage" visa.  Again I am not sure. In any event it is your employer that is responsible for your work permit.

The rules haven't changed and you can either work on a Non-B, or a Non- O based on marriage to a Thai.

Totally legal to work on a Non-O and you're not losing your visa if something goes wrong with the job.

Nobody has to argue that the OP is the best guy for this job. It's a pretty easy and straightforward process. 

Why would anybody need to pay for a lawyer? There's no need for one. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elcaro said:

For work permit a degree was needed. But not university, if you have any kind of school certificate it is enough. What the company requires is up to them.

There's no degree needed for a work permit in Thailand if the company doesn't want one. What do you mean with any kind of school certificate?

Don't you think you're irritating the OP a bit?

3 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

No.   There is no connection.

If the company hired u.  They get your WP. Immigration doesnt know or care if u have a degree or not

Times are changing. Immigration had started to check degrees of teachers, as well as provisional teacher's licenses and more.

One IO even went online to check on the Teacher's Council of Thailand's website if my provisional TL was real.

They do know more about you than you might think.