Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

I have the same problem with NatWest bank in the UK. .they will not send a card reader internationally and Thailand is not on the list of countries that they will send an sms with an activation code. I have complained as to why Thailand is not on the list as Singapore is...they said they are have problems with the Thai network providers!!

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Read @Stocky post above again and also read NBS' webpage on this issue. It is going to happen soon.

You're jumping the gun a bit!

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/security/login-changes

No I was correct, it's NOT on the Login page BUT, as others have commented and demonstrated the changes are shown elsewhere on the site. So we're both sort of right.

Having read all the posts here, I'm hoping that there will be 3 options - Card Reader, Pass number and one-time code by text and email. However the email option which is used by other UK banks does not seem to be on offer.

If your NBS A/C is registered to an address in Thailand, they will send cards and a card reader to that address.

As to the verification code system, it is NOT yet in operation, as was stated in the opening page at login.

I received this information this morning when I logged into my NBS A/C. It states it is soon to be implemented but no date has been set.

• Like 1
If your NBS A/C is registered to an address in Thailand, they will send cards and a card reader to that address.
As to the verification code system, it is NOT yet in operation, as was stated in the opening page at login.
I received this information this morning when I logged into my NBS A/C. It states it is soon to be implemented but no date has been set.

I had debit cards, card readers sent to Thailand but NBS told me (about 3 years ago “) that no credit cards will be sent to Thailand (for security reasons?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
38 minutes ago, VBF said:

No I was correct, it's NOT on the Login page BUT, as others have commented and demonstrated the changes are shown elsewhere on the site. So we're both sort of right.

Having read all the posts here, I'm hoping that there will be 3 options - Card Reader, Pass number and one-time code by text and email. However the email option which is used by other UK banks does not seem to be on offer.

OK - I realise it's bad form to reply to one's own posts but I timed out on the Edit window

First - the notification IS now showing on the login page

Capture.JPG.9e81547ce75178bcc5b9e2d4e73249d4.JPG

When you have actually logged in,  this now appears:

image.png.7d6fc9fa08c1e04523c44686dc7daeaf.png

For my account it must have updated overnight so apologies to @Moonlover

I ordered a new card reader online - apparently it will be sent to my registered address in about 5 working days.

I just called NW and asked if an email option is likely - answer NO - just SMS or Card reader as stated on the website.

It was confirmed that any similar banking card reader may be used.

It will NOT affect the use of the card to make purchases, JUST logging in to the NW Internet Banking. (Obviously you don't log into the Internet Banking to make a purchase from an online store - Verified by Visa has taken care of that for a long time now.)

This change is going to start rolling out in September.

It is seemingly the way forward for all UK banks, (it's called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA))

Others are doing the same thing with slightly different features (ie email or no email)

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Regarding SMS messages to a UK number in Thailand, I am with SKY Mobile and can register on DTAC and TRUE, both of which generate the usual "welcome" SMS in return.

However, the code sent from HMRC to enable a login to my tax account only arrives (in less than 10 seconds) when I am connected to DTAC, with TRUE it never gets here.

I bank with Nationwide, so am keeping my fingers crossed about the SMS issue.

18 minutes ago, VBF said:

It will NOT affect the use of the card to make purchases, JUST logging in to the NW Internet Banking

Except the way of making card purchases has already changed.  That was the whole point of my original post.

Incidentally, I've temporarily installed my Giffgaff SIM in my 'phone to see if I could receive UK text messages.  Six messages sent.  Not one received.

The problem is worse than described here. I make several payments using my Debit Card (Life Insurance etc.) However my card expired and I waited 2 months for a replacement which never came. On phoning to my Bamk to find out why they tell me that Thailand is on an Embargo List and they cannot send post here. This means that I not only don't get my Debit Card renewals when they expire but I do not get any notifications concerning my account. The only way around it is to get an address in the UK and get someone to forward your mail. This has lead to me missing several important payments because first I must change my address at the Bank for which they require a special form to be filled out. And how do I get this form Oh we post them out to you. Ok post one to me. Sorry we cannot post to Thailand.

Edited by ResandePohm

I have heard that Google Voice is available in the UK now.  I use it from the US.  When it was set up, I got a US phone number.  I regularly use GV for this type of messages and it has always worked. I also use it for free calls to and from the US.  Assuming that it is available in the UK, you may have to have someone actually in the UK set it up for you.

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Except the way of making card purchases has already changed.  That was the whole point of my original post.

Incidentally, I've temporarily installed my Giffgaff SIM in my 'phone to see if I could receive UK text messages.  Six messages sent.  Not one received.

The purchase changes may well be from "Verified by Visa", not Nationwide.  Can you remember whether the SMS came from NW or Visa?

Is your GiffGaff SIM set up for International roaming? Is it actually connecting to a Thai supplier?

Edited by VBF
1 minute ago, ResandePohm said:

The problem is worse than described here. I make several payments using my Debit Card (Life Insurance etc.) However my card expired and I waited 2 months for a replacement which never came. On phoning to my Bamk to find out why they tell me the Thailand is on an Embargo List and they cannot send post here. This means that I not only don't get my Debit Card renewals when they expire but I do not get any notifications concerning my account. The only way around it is to get an address in the UK and get someone to forward your mail. This has lead to me missing several important payments because first I must change my address at the Bank for which they require a special form to be filled out. And how do I get this form Oh we post them out to you. Ok post one to me. Sorry we cannot post to Thailand.

Several services available in the UK from around £99 yr that will process any mail and forward whatever to you however you want it sent. Some are PAYG if the use is little and may be more viable dependent on use.

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Do you have the signal bar with an R next to it ? Did you get a "welcome to Thailand" msg when you turned it on ?

I would suggest going to giffgff.com and ask on their forum, they will be able to get you sorted.

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Several services available in the UK from around £99 yr that will process any mail and forward whatever to you however you want it sent. Some are PAYG if the use is little and may be more viable dependent on use.

Are these addresses accepted by the Banks, Pensions office etc?

Just now, ResandePohm said:

Are these addresses accepted by the Banks, Pensions office etc?

Works fine for me on all banks/cards etc. Its a valid street address and post code, you just need to adjust accordingly at the various services you use.

It’s not just NW. All banks are being compelled to tighten up their fraud security.

Barclays are moving the same way.

The card reader option seems to figure in a lot of their requirements now or at some time in the near future.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I had debit cards, card readers sent to Thailand but NBS told me (about 3 years ago “) that no credit cards will be sent to Thailand (for security reasons?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have in front of me right now a Nationwide credit card which was mailed to me here in Thailand in Dec 2016. I've heard this comment about not sending credit cards to Thailand and to Egypt where lived before coming here many times. But my credit card has always arrived on time, no matter where I am.

On this matter NBS will tell you one thing but do another. It's been like that for years.

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I have a couple of UK bank accounts and a couple of Thai ones ,if i buy anything online i always use the Thai cards ,far easier , regularaly do online banking using the card reader (one is nationwide) they have been informing us for ages about the changes coming ,due to the new EU rulings ,why did you not read them ? they are on the start page ,anyway there is a lot of contraversy at the moment because so many people in the UK do not have a mobile phone ,but the rules do seem to say that you can have codes sent to an e mail ,this would be ok because even if you have a thai sim it will just come to your e mail address.

So will the new EU rulings go ou of the window on Nov 1st?

You say many people in UK do not have a mobile phone. I just Googled to find that approx 95% of Britain's adult population has at least one phone How many of those other 5 % poor folks will have a PC and email address?

• Like 1

All NBS customers please take note. The NBS mobile app, which was for a long time confined to UK use only, is now available worldwide.

I've been using it now for about 4 or 5 months and I can highly recommend it. You only need your 6 digit passnumber to log on, so debit cards and card readers can be kept safe and secure. You can do transfers on it such as TransferWise without any further security measures, once you have registered the recipients.

It's a very useful app indeed and could certainly help those having problems with SMSs.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So will the new EU rulings go ou of the window on Nov 1st?

You say many people in UK do not have a mobile phone. I just Googled to find that approx 95% of Britain's adult population has at least one phone How many of those other 5 % poor folks will have a PC and email address?

Most accepted EU rulings are likely to be enshrined into UK law after BREXIT

If people don't have a PC or phone or tablet / email address, then this whole topic is Irrelevant to them. One assumes they do their banking and shopping "the old fashioned way"

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

I contacted Nationwide a short time ago about getting a card reader.

After many secure messages going back and forth I was told that since I only have a Credit Card with them this can't be used by a card reader, only a Debit Card can.

I generally only use my Nationwide CC for purchases in Thailand, not on-line. So am hoping that I will still be able to log into Nationwide's website without any problems, but maybe I had better check that again to be sure as I don't have a UK mobile.

I have only been able to get my new cards sent to a UK address and forwarded here - to sign for - as Nationwide refused to send them to my address in Thailand and that was years ago.

The banks I deal with recommend/suggest using their apps and that bypasses all this nonsense once your phone has been registered via the app and will work worldwide. Everything can be done through the app/ (Banks/institutions may vary)

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

First of all @Oxx this is not Nationwide lunacy, as you call it, at all. These are new security standards that being imposed on all UK banking institutes in order to reduce fraud. Particularly on-line fraud.

If you don't have card reader, then order one now. They are still free, as far as I know, and that will resolve your on-line banking issue.

This is totally not what he is saying is the case... Nothing to do with card readers.. To do with only using UK SIMs. 

As per other posters.. Just get a UK sim and run it in a dual sim or spare phone.. SMS costs nothing to receive so simply top a sim up online once in a while and keep it alive. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mls said:

Just tried downloading the App but it doesn't work with CC numbers only Debit Cards. Yet again!

That's because it is linked to your NBS Flexaccount. (or whatever you have) Don't you have a debit card?