Nationwide BS (UK) now useless

Ways to log in

We need to check it's really you when you log in to your account online and, to keep you safe, we're updating the ways you can log in.

Use your card reader to log in

If you have a current account with us, you can continue to use your card reader as usual. If you no longer have a card reader or have forgotten how to use it, get help using your card reader or order a new card reader.

You can use any bank of building society card reader to log in, as long as it accepts your debit card.

Use your Passnumber and one-time code by text to log in

Soon you'll be able to log in using your mobile phone and a one-time code we'll send you in a text message.

Note: We'll need your mobile number to do this. If we don't have the right mobile number for you, you may not be able to see your account information online.

If you can't use a card reader or a mobile phone get in touch. Please call us or visit us in branch to discuss your log in options.

Why things are changing

To help fight fraud and increase the security of online payments, all banks will be adding extra security checks that will happen when you bank or shop online. These changes are called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA).

The above is from Nationwide website.  I've also spoken to them and online transfer of cash e.g Nationwide to Transferwise - using the banking app - no change.

Card transactions to make purchases e.g. an airline ticket - need to be verified by visa by text message.  If it is refused call them and they will lift the restriction.

unfortunately fraud has become a fact of life and anything that will tackle it, is welcomed by me albeit it means I have to do a little more myself.

Get a card reader and or download the relevant Banking App and hey presto!  Where's the problem? 

Edited by neverceasetobeamazed
typing errors

I'm glad the memorable data is going, could never remember it. Had a UK Tesco simm for years, just use it to send an sms to self every few months so it's not de activated and top it up once a year. Of course if the reader stops working you are stuffed, try to keep a spare.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

I'm doing the opposite. Using a Bangkok Bank account from the UK (to cover the bills at our house there.)

Bangkok Bank already does the same thing - when you add an account or do the first transfer to a new account, they send a text message to your Thai phone number with a password - have done for years. (And yes, it's a pain to have to keep a Thai phone number active when you're not in Thailand, but it's a necessary evil...)

If anything, it's the banks in the UK catching up on security because fraud has been such a problem.

If you're having problems with your SIM receiving text messages while in Thailand, contact the company. It'll likely be some money-saving setting on your phone account (because you get charged for SIMs received on your phone while you're abroad - at least outside the phone company's free coverage country list)..

Just now, Orton Rd said:

I'm glad the memorable data is going, could never remember it. Had a UK Tesco simm for years, just use it to send an sms to self every few months so it's not de activated and top it up once a year/

I'm not! It's the easiest thing of all to use as long as it's memorable to YOU and not others. Just requires a bit of imagination - think of all the places you've been, people you've met, music you like, books you've read, food you like - endless permutations. 

However...it is what it is ????

3 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

If you're having problems with your SIM receiving text messages while in Thailand, contact the company. It'll likely be some money-saving setting on your phone account (because you get charged for SIMs received on your phone while you're abroad - at least outside the phone company's free coverage country list)..

Not entirely true...... Tesco Mobile in UK give you free INCOMING texts anywhere in the world. Everything else is, as you say, chargeable outside the phone company's free coverage country list.

Nationwide appears to be backing down a little.  Just received a message containing the following:

"Upon a review of your account we can confirm that although you do not currently have a UK number, you will still be able to process transactions using your Nationwide credit card. It is not every transactions that is attempted that will be declined by the Verified by Visa process.

"Due to our Strong Customer Authentication process, you will need to confirm that it is yourself who is putting through those transactions online; and if you do not hold a UK number then you would have to verify the transactions through calling our Customer Service team or through this form of securing messaging."

47 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Try using a vpn to place you in the UK for download purposes.

VPN is not necessary. I don't have one on my phone.

@Baht Simpson if I remember rightly I went to Nationwide's website via Crome and was directed from there to the app.

Confirmed. My memory is still good. I've just tried it.

Alternative to using a Thai mobile number would be to use a trusted friend/relative in the UK.  Get the SMS code sent to their number and then have them SMS/e-mail/FB etc it on to you. 

Not ideal obviously since you would need to co-ordinate your activities with them. 

3 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Incidentally is it possible to use the app for yearly transfers? Has anyone done this yet or do you have to use the card reader?

Don't quite understand what you mean by 'yearly transfers'. You can certainly set up a standing order in whatever configuration you wish, Monthly, 4 weekly, yearly, etc, just as you can on the on-line version.

If you're sending money to an account that you have used before (TransferWise is a classic example) then you do not need the card reader. But you must use it for a new account for the first time only.

Go play with it. You'll soon get the hang of it. ????

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Don't quite understand what you mean by 'yearly transfers'. You can certainly set up a standing order in whatever configuration you wish, Monthly, 4 weekly, yearly, etc, just as you can on the on-line version.

If you're sending money to an account that you have used before (TransferWise is a classic example) then you do not need the card reader. But you must use it for a new account for the first time only.

Go play with it. You'll soon get the hang of it. ????

I mean my yearly SWIFT transfer for retirement funds. It appears you cant use the app; not yet at least. No problem, I have a card reader.

Screenshot_20190802-202022.jpg

Edited by Baht Simpson
On 8/1/2019 at 12:00 PM, Oxx said:

A card reader is absolutely no use for making Internet payments.  The only authentication they accept is a text message to a UK 'phone number.

This must be very new. I used my card reader two weeks ago. Also my Thai Telephone number is registered with the bank. 

i recently downloaded  the Nationwide App onto my thai smart phone. 

Easy, just answered a few security questions .

Logging into my account with the app, is more secure , easier , and quicker ..

• Like 2

Ok folks. Regarding OTPs via SMS. Nationwide have been very helpful today and I've received an answer to queries that have been aired. And this it:

''At this moment in time, Visa aren't able to send these out to overseas numbers. The current solution is to give us call, either on 0800 30 20 11 or on +44 1793 656 789 if abroad, if you are asked for an authorisation code for an online purchase and you do not receive the text.

Please rest assured, we are developing other methods to combat this which we plan to release in due course, such as a code being sent via secure message, or using your card reader code as authorisation.

If there is anything else I can help you with today, Peter, please do let me know by replying to this message and I'll be more than happy to help''.

Kind regards,

I also received this from the credit card administration with regards to on-line transactions.

However, the ‘OTP’ is generated by Verified by Visa as a part of their security measures in the real time and that ‘One Time Passcode’ can and will be delivered to a U.K. registered mobile number only. We are very sorry for the fact that you were not made aware of this in our earlier reply. Please provide a U.K. based mobile number if you wish to be receiving the ‘OTP’ otherwise just confirm the amount of the transaction along with the name of the merchant and we can bypass the ‘OTP’ stage of the transaction.

So there you have from the horses mouth, so to speak.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The banks I deal with recommend/suggest using their apps and that bypasses all this nonsense once your phone has been registered via the app and will work worldwide. Everything can be done through the app/ (Banks/institutions may vary)

I could not download Santander or Nationwide app when in Thailand. So downloaded them when in UK and use them in Thailand.

41 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Ok folks. Regarding OTPs via SMS. Nationwide have been very helpful today and I've received an answer to queries that have been aired. And this it:

''At this moment in time, Visa aren't able to send these out to overseas numbers. The current solution is to give us call, either on 0800 30 20 11 or on +44 1793 656 789 if abroad, if you are asked for an authorisation code for an online purchase and you do not receive the text.

Please rest assured, we are developing other methods to combat this which we plan to release in due course, such as a code being sent via secure message, or using your card reader code as authorisation.

If there is anything else I can help you with today, Peter, please do let me know by replying to this message and I'll be more than happy to help''.

Kind regards,

I also received this from the credit card administration with regards to on-line transactions.

However, the ‘OTP’ is generated by Verified by Visa as a part of their security measures in the real time and that ‘One Time Passcode’ can and will be delivered to a U.K. registered mobile number only. We are very sorry for the fact that you were not made aware of this in our earlier reply. Please provide a U.K. based mobile number if you wish to be receiving the ‘OTP’ otherwise just confirm the amount of the transaction along with the name of the merchant and we can bypass the ‘OTP’ stage of the transaction.

So there you have from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Thanks for that useful info.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

I mean my yearly SWIFT transfer for retirement funds. It appears you cant use the app; not yet at least. No problem, I have a card reader.

Screenshot_20190802-202022.jpg

Ok I understand now. You could, of course use TransferWise, but you'd need to check the relative costs. SWIFT might actually be more economical for larger amounts.

• Thanks 1

Just a word of caution when I was last in Thailand I updated my bank details so I could use my thai sim card. When I returned to the UK there was a nice letter from my bank stating they beleived I may no longer be a uk resident (due to changing to a thai sim). The letter advised that I needed to provide evidence that I was resident (which also to be notarised) otherwise they would have a duty to inform Hmrc. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, magicroundabout said:

Just a word of caution when I was last in Thailand I updated my bank details so I could use my thai sim card. When I returned to the UK there was a nice letter from my bank stating they beleived I may no longer be a uk resident (due to changing to a thai sim). The letter advised that I needed to provide evidence that I was resident (which also to be notarised) otherwise they would have a duty to inform Hmrc. 

A very good point. I've read on numerous occasions that folks use a friend's or relative's address with their banks whilst living abroad. This is contrary to all banks 'terms and conditions', which state that your registered address must be one that we can readily contact you. And could well preclude using 'mail forwarding services' as well.

Likewise with DWP. Most seem to get away with it, but getting caught out can have serious consequences. And it does happen.

There is, in fact an issue with putting a Thai 'phone number into NBS's website. You can put it in and think you've got it right. But if you go back and check again later, you may find that it has switched from +66XXXXXXXXX to 6666XXXXXXXXXX. I've raised this problem with them and they've got their techie geeks on the case.

A very good point. I've read on numerous occasions that folks use a friend's or relative's address with their banks whilst living abroad. This is contrary to all banks 'terms and conditions', which state that your registered address must be one that we can readily contact you. And could well preclude using 'mail forwarding services' as well.

Likewise with DWP. Most seem to get away with it, but getting caught out can have serious consequences. And it does happen.

There is, in fact an issue with putting a Thai 'phone number into NBS's website. You can put it in and think you've got it right. But if you go back and check again later, you may find that it has switched from +66XXXXXXXXX to 6666XXXXXXXXXX. I've raised this problem with them and they've got their techie geeks on the case.

Spotted that yesterday & havnt bothered to ‘edit’ it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

12 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Spotted that yesterday & havnt bothered to ‘edit’ it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother, it just switches back again. I'll post when I get word back from the NBS techies.

• Like 1

Yes, Nationwide are going downhill.. Apart from this new security regulation (i know it affects all UK banks). I also have a Thai contact number in the profile. I was quite happy with the logon info as no need to search for my debit card and the reader every time you logon. 

Also they have announced a drop in interest rates, which will mean no longer better than other banks, and scrapped their monthly saver. Final bit - i have twice tried to send money to Transferwise, and each time Nationwide screwed up.

i am now dependent on one credit card to get money here ..... and it expires in  2 months.    Hope i can negotiate alternative options in the next month or two.

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

i am now dependent on one credit card to get money here ..... and it expires in  2 months.    Hope i can negotiate alternative options in the next month or two.

Transfer wise , debit card .  

Edited by elliss
22 hours ago, magicroundabout said:

Me too, recently I had letter from Nationwide,  posted to my daughters UK address. 

Reckon , i need to pay community poll tax , ouch ..

IT , Big Brother, knows all , soon..

Edited by elliss
On 8/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, Oxx said:

A card reader is absolutely no use for making Internet payments.  The only authentication they accept is a text message to a UK 'phone number.

I recently ordered an item through ebay UK using my card reader with no problem, other than the long winded delivery from China!