Australian man arrested for stalking compatriot - more Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

rooster59

Australian man arrested for stalking compatriot - more Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

430653.jpg

Image: Naew Na

Naew Na reported the arrest of an Australian man who has been stalking an Australian woman in Petchabun in Thailand's north east. 

The Australian woman had called 191 on July 22nd, 26th and 30th to say that she was being harassed by Mikhail Gladyshev a 39 year old Australian man. 

Even though he had been warned by police on a previous occasion he continued to pester the woman at her place of employment. 

To avoid arrest he was moving around the town seeking out places where they would not bother to check his passport and not officially register him within the stipulated 24 hour period. 

He was finally tracked down to The Luxe hotel in Muang Petchabun and taken into custody. 

The hotel manager was fined 10,000 baht for not reporting him as staying there. 

In separate cases three other people were fined 2,000 baht each for not reporting foreigners at their addresses.

Pol Lt-Col Nawiphat Thetsayaem of Petchaburi immigration reminded people about the enforcement of Article 38 and said that the 1178 hotline could be used to report infractions. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-03

223520.jpg

223519.jpg

223518.jpg

223517.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He was finally tracked down to The Luxe hotel in Muang Petchabun and taken into custody. 

The hotel manager was fined 10,000 baht for not reporting him as staying there. 

That must have been some impressive defective detective work to track someone without the aid of the all-singing-all-dancing TM30.

They must have used the services of a fortune teller.

Probably the midget one who's now on the run after the unwanted publicity. I saw the news article about it: Small medium still at large.

• Haha 1

Most of us have strong feelings about the TM30, but are aware the Thai authorities don't give a stuff about foreigners thoughts.
However, all this fining of Thais for not reporting guests might just cause a revolt against the idiocy.
No. They just stop renting apartments to foreigners.
My friend now realises he is the only foreigner in his block and they have put up a sign "no foreigners ". He hasn't been asked to leave....yet.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, petedk said:

No. They just stop renting apartments to foreigners.
My friend now realises he is the only foreigner in his block and they have put up a sign "no foreigners ". He hasn't been asked to leave....yet.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What?! Never seen a sign anywhere in Thailand that says "no foreigners". Where's this?

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

No, they aren't. Most have a non-immigrant or tourist stamp in the passport. Thais have blocked the immigration route fairly well. Which is ok, but they shouldn't let people stay on temporary permit for years, it's just dishonest.

And manages to fool some who think they are permanent residents in Thailand when it's crystal clear they are just temps on back to back permits. The result is anxiety which could have been avoided altogether if people hadn't been allowed to move here for long term based on temp permits. Thai greed is the cause.

Indeed. The immigrant route is a possibility, though not easy to get, not impossible either. High net worth individuals and those with connections who have exceeded the basic criteria needed to apply can apply for citizenship (a much better choice than permanent residency).

However, most of the expats here I've spoken to have expressed reluctance to apply for citizenship, for some bizarre reason. I see no reason not to go for it, if you're eligible and choose to stay here long-term given Thailand allows (or at least tolerates) dual citizenship. For me it's a non-brainer.

12 minutes ago, drbeach said:

However, most of the expats here I've spoken to have expressed reluctance to apply for citizenship, for some bizarre reason. I see no reason not to go for it, if you're eligible and choose to stay here long-term given Thailand allows (or at least tolerates) dual citizenship. For me it's a non-brainer.

Some countries won't allow dual citizenship and Thai passport means applying visas for most destinations outside Asia. 

41 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Indeed. The immigrant route is a possibility, though not easy to get, not impossible either. High net worth individuals and those with connections who have exceeded the basic criteria needed to apply can apply for citizenship (a much better choice than permanent residency).

Why should I apply for citizenship in a country that I do not belong to both as a culture and as a religion and as a way of life, you believe that when you obtained citizenship they will no longer call you Farang?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Most of us have strong feelings about the TM30, but are aware the Thai authorities don't give a stuff about foreigners thoughts.

However, all this fining of Thais for not reporting guests might just cause a revolt against the idiocy.

Thais are not going to revolt against anything. At best you’ll get some social media posts about it, and they will probably be harassed by immigration for doing it.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Fining Thais won't bring about any changes to the TM30 idiocy. Thais will just cease letting to foreigners because the whole TM30 reporting and the risks of being checked by authorities and fined has become a great pain in the neck to them. It's way easier for them to let to Thais, they get the same rent without all these hassles that come with foreign tenants.

I even suspect that the increased frequency of fining Thai landlords, plus the increasing amounts of these fines, is a deliberate step by Immigration towards making life impossible for foreigners.

21 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

No many are quite rightly against Illegal immigration and lying asylum seekers as well as mass Islamic immigration, seems like common sense when you look at the areas with most of these in Europe.

And yet many use Agents to get a visa, illegally, with no money in the bank. Hypocrites in my view.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now days, the moniker of this and that nationality means nothing where many millions or migrants/transients are taking refuge or residence in second and third countries, and at times, i see the merits of the TM30 and it can be instrumental in tracking those undesirables and root them out...

TM30 usage is a large drain on resources for the benefit of a few. 

Most undesirables are not reporting anyway and criminals on overstay will definitely not do TM30. Neighboring country like Malaysia did not even insist on such TM30 and I don’t see any significant increase in crimes. As for catching criminals, isn’t that the job of the CID of the country? Stopping undesirables at the first stop like border control would reduce many from committing crimes in the country in the first place. Putting the effort of TM30 squarely upon the shoulders of the foreigners and owners is not a good idea. Poor usage of resources. 

17 hours ago, TSF said:

Fining Thais won't bring about any changes to the TM30 idiocy. Thais will just cease letting to foreigners because the whole TM30 reporting and the risks of being checked by authorities and fined has become a great pain in the neck to them. It's way easier for them to let to Thais, they get the same rent without all these hassles that come with foreign tenants.

I even suspect that the increased frequency of fining Thai landlords, plus the increasing amounts of these fines, is a deliberate step by Immigration towards making life impossible for foreigners.

Not only that. I think the police are too lazy to chase after criminals. They are hoping to just key in some criminal’s name into their TM30 database and out pop the latest residence of the criminal delivered on the platter. Perhaps the police can even call up the owner of the place to ask him to bring the tenant to present himself at the police station ?  So TM30 is just a procedure to make the CID police life easier.