Studying Engineering In Thailand

Hi,

I want to study Computer Enigneering / Computer Science in LOS. Right now I'm studying at "Chalmers Inst. of Tech." in my home town; Gothenburg, Sweden. Just completing my first year right now and would like to study one or two trimesters in Thailand. I have been formerly looking at Chula, Mahidol and Thammasat -- they all seem good :o Do you know of any other local unis. (BKK) offering International BAs in these areas?

Hi you could also have a look at the following:

Thank you Martin! I've had a very hard time googling for information on this, this helps a lot :o

As long as you only want to study Computer engineering. I wouldn't pay two cents for a Architectural or mechanical degree from here. Take a look at the structures here in Thailand and tell me what it says about the relative skill of Thai engineers.

Your degree would be meaningless IMHO

Greg

Edited by griser

As long as you only want to study Computer engineering. I wouldn't pay two cents for a Architectural or mechanical degree from here. Take a look at the structures here in Thailand and tell me what it says about the relative skill of Thai engineers.

Your degree would be meaningless IMHO

Greg

Do you mean that studying Computer Engineering would be OK but Mechanical or Architectual would not? I'm currently studying in Sweden and will only study for one year in Thailand. I checked w. my student counselor, it seems I stand a fair chance of transferring my credits from Thailand to Sweden.

My degree will not be Thai, it'll be Swedish :o

Hi,

I want to study Computer Enigneering / Computer Science in LOS. Right now I'm studying at "Chalmers Inst. of Tech." in my home town; Gothenburg, Sweden. Just completing my first year right now and would like to study one or two trimesters in Thailand. I have been formerly looking at Chula, Mahidol and Thammasat -- they all seem good :o Do you know of any other local unis. (BKK) offering International BAs in these areas?

Not a good career move I suspect. Why would you want a degree

from Thailand anyway ?

Tip ... Don't screw your future by spending a couple of years in Thailand

just to obtain a piece of paper that any respectable company will laugh at.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Hi,

Not a good career move I suspect. Why would you want a degree

from Thailand anyway ?

Tip ... Don't screw your future by spending a couple of years in Thailand

just to obtain a piece of paper that any respectable company will laugh at.

Naka.

You didn't read the entire thread. My degree won't be Thai, it'll be Swedish!

My main reason for wanting to spend one year or so studying in Thailand is the convenience of it all. Sweden is a very wealthy country, but we do not lead a rich life. I can't afford a car, I can't afford to eat at restaurants more than once a week or so. We have to cram ourselves into buses w. too few seats like cattle in the morning when we go to school/work.

I might seem excessively pessimistic but I really need to go somewhere else right now.

looking at Chula, Mahidol and Thammasat

1) you have to contact the Universities before if you can study there or not.

2)I'm not sure where is the exacly place of Mahidol entaneer students have to study ..as i know I's not in Bkk

3) I've graduated from Chula .. i envy Thammasat students' freedom

ye have ta look at the accreditation of the program of study and of yer final degree certificate...if it is not internationally recognised then the work is wasted effort...I doubt if any university in Thailand is up ta scratch when compared with US/European engineering programs and their associated internationally recognised accreditation...if yer school in Sweden accepts credit earned in Thailand then OK fer them, but if I was yer swedish academic counsellor I'd say fergeddit...

ye gotta realise that it is not just the rigour of the syllabus with the math and physical science preparation...accreditation commitees also look at lab facilities and lab hours; 3 hours lecture to 6 hours lab per week fer one subject is common in the US...institutions must be well endowed to meet standards...ye might want to check this ratio if proposing to study in Thailand and the quality of the facilities available...

be wise...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

looking at Chula, Mahidol and Thammasat

1) you have to contact the Universities before if you can study there or not.

2)I'm not sure where is the exacly place of Mahidol entaneer students have to study ..as i know I's not in Bkk

3) I've graduated from Chula .. i envy Thammasat students' freedom

I went to visit Mahidol's International Campus, it's not in the city centre. It's a bit off :o

ye have ta look at the accreditation of the program of study and of yer final degree certificate...if it is not internationally recognised then the work is wasted effort...I doubt if any university in Thailand is up ta scratch when compared with US/European engineering programs and their associated internationally recognised accreditation...if yer school in Sweden accepts credit earned in Thailand then OK fer them, but if I was yer swedish academic counsellor I'd say fergeddit...

ye gotta realise that it is not just the rigour of the syllabus with the math and physical science preparation...accreditation commitees also look at lab facilities and lab hours; 3 hours lecture to 6 hours lab per week fer one subject is common in the US...institutions must be well endowed to meet standards...ye might want to check this ratio if proposing to study in Thailand and the quality of the facilities available...

be wise...

It seems that everybody's trying to talk me out of this. I really want to try, it'll only be for one year and will not harm my final (SWEDISH!) degree in any way. Is it everybodys opinion that it would be useless for me to study in Thailand?

It seems that everybody's trying to talk me out of this. I really want to try, it'll only be for one year and will not harm my final (SWEDISH!) degree in any way. Is it everybodys opinion that it would be useless for me to study in Thailand?

Thammasart and Chula are ranked among top 200 universities in the world and internationally recognized (you can google to confirm this.) So I don't think that studying at either school for a year will do you any harm. Mahidol might be ranked in the top 250. Don't let comments from a couple of ignorant people discouarge you. If you get accpeted to these schools, you will be fine and get good education. Good luck.

Edited by ThaiGoon

I've found a pdf file for 2005's rankings. Here it is:

http://www.alnaja7.org/success/Education/t...anking_2005.pdf

Chula is 121st in the world, 53rd in Asia and 3rd in Asean. That's a pretty good level of respectability for me. I'm sure a good number of posters on TV who frequently post ignorant comments about Thailand went to schools (if they did at all) that are not even listed or ranked in the top 200.

Anyway good luck, theswede83.

Edited by ThaiGoon

believe I'd look ta see if thai academic credentials are recognised within yer discipline...if yew were to study thai language or thai language an' culture any place in Thailand would be right up in the top 10...math, science and engineering knows no boundaries...

Theswede83, try to gather information from CREDIBLE sources about the Thai universities you're interested in as much as you can, and I'm sure you will be able to make a good decision and won't regret it. Keep in mind that an internet forum like this always consists of people from all walks of life. Some are well informed about Thailand and know what they are talking about, while others just view Thailand based on their life experiences which mainly revolve around bars and the girls who work there. So make sure you know and understand your sources. I'm sure you will be able to make a good decision.

As for me, I can only say from my personal experiences that I've seen several Thai graduates from Chula, Thammasat, and Mahidol got accepted to top American and English universities and do really well there Respectability of the degrees from these Thai universities among top universities in the world has never been a problem. Engineering majors from Chula get accepted to MIT, Stanford, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Cal tech and so on every year. (P.S. I myself am currently at a good US university, you can ask any mod on TV to verify my ip address to see if I'm telling you the truth.) Again, good luck.

Edited by ThaiGoon

Here's some other thaughts.

How about India or Malaysia.

Here these two countries have more English programs and they have reasonable levels of education.

But personally it would be better to spend the money on a year in the US, UK or Australia/NZ. It is more expensive but a lot better on your CV than putting Thailand down where people may take it the wrong way.

Also be careful there is still a lot of Cobol taught in Thailand. Some causes are not up to the international level.

I'm not "in the know" about degrees in Computer Science or what the industry is looking for in their employees but I've heard (mostly from what I've read at slashdot.com) that being a computer scientist (as opposed to being a coder) is not all it used to be and there are fewer good jobs available than in years past....and the employers are getting fussier about who they hire....but I don't know and is only what it seems like I've been hearing. This does not only apply to whether you should attend in Thailand for a year but also to consider if an internship with some software company might be more important for your career (and which is probably not available in Thailand)....but I don't know for sure.

I'm not "in the know" about degrees in Computer Science or what the industry is looking for in their employees but I've heard (mostly from what I've read at slashdot.com) that being a computer scientist (as opposed to being a coder) is not all it used to be and there are fewer good jobs available than in years past....and the employers are getting fussier about who they hire....

I am an hardware EE and I can tell you that there are plenty of software jobs out there and there always will be as computers are fundamental to any modern economy. Studying Computer Science is a good start for a lifetime of education. If you are very interested in the math/science aspect of computers, then also take physics and material science courses. If you are more business oreinted, then an MBA over a BS degree will be a great foundation for a prosperous career in many different fields.

And Chula, Thammasat and Mahidol are fine institutions for a one year stint.

Good luck.