Staying at least 6 months to a year in Thailand with Philippine gf

Hello everybody.

I am 59, turns 60 this year. I am in a divorce with my Belgian wife. No harm done, we are tired after 33 years, and I have a Philippine gf that turns 30 in December.

The last 6 years I spend with her around four to five months a year in Asia, mostly Thailand. I love her very much, but I am not attracted by the Philippines, for food, safety and other matters.

I tried this summer, to let her come to Belgium and Europe, collected as much papers possible, even a statement of employer, and social security. Proof enough about us travelling together. Our visa c, tourist on invitation is now handled by Belgian authorities for 2 months, when it was stated 2 weeks. So that never is going to work, and was just to let know my country, if she ever could live there.  

Plan B. Hire a house in Thailand. Outside Pattaya (not my favorite place in the world, but convenient), find some things to my liking. And now comes the visa question of course.

For myself. I asked the consulate in Antwerp, very friendly their opinion, and they said I had only one choice for the moment, and that is a 6 month tourist visa, multiple entry. The downside is, that I should leave the country every 2 months. Ok, but not understood if I want to expand........... Also, long term rent is a year. Ok I can leave June, if I am tired of it and pay 2 months rent above. 

I have means.  I have 4.000.000 bht in money, way more in assets (I rent apartments in France for the elder people) I could maybe start to put the required money for retirement visa to use after 6 months?  But if I would go back, the Bht is so strong now, if it would fall, loose a lot too.  Is this all a good idea, are there other ways. I also understood, if I leave the province, I have to register in immigration again and do that on line?

For my gf.   I inquired for houses in Pattaya last year, then with the idea to buy. I prefer to rent, so I can still change my mind, when needed.   They told me the thing to do for my gf is a kind of student visa, and go to a school.  Would that be possible? She has stopped school at 14.  She followed school in Thailand a few weeks for massage courses, and got a degree. But the idea was that she follows maybe cooking school or /and learn Thai. The last is not much use if we decide after a year to try again in Europe, getting married. But she is very interested in Thai cooking.   

I need sain advice, no talks about the kind of relation. I not need a Thai girl, I love this girl, she is 100% to trust, has proven that more then enough.   I need advice, how we can stay in Thailand for a year to begin with, or even a bit less. She has traveled 14 times to Thailand, to meet me over the last 6 years. She likes it here. She think Pattaya is the best choice, so we not get bored. Many restaurants, shopping, not isolated, close to airports to go abroad, or other places for a week. Phuket, far and less choice, Samui, not best in winter, and even more isolated. I love Ban Phe region. But I am afraid to be bored there, even if Rayong is less then   half hour away. Also not much choice is housing, and can get a bit desolate at times.

So any suggestion, with good intentions, welcome...

5 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I am no expert in this but if you were married, I believe she could get a dependent visa? In that case you'd only need to worry about your visa and she could tag to yours.

I also believe that the first 1 year multiple entry O visa does not require funds in Thai bank. Only extension after a year does. So it might be more appropriate than tourist visa unless you're already told that you can't get it. Finally there is elite visa but I think the benefit for you isn't worth it.

Let's see what others have to say. Good luck.

The thing is to go to Thailand, that I know the country rather well, and we are not married yet. So that is why at least 6 months, preference a year.  The divorce can take a while and marriage is also not so simple, and maybe even more difficult for her to have a visa for Belgium, as crazy that can sound....

First of all emptypocket is correct. Living in Thailand is simple. Your 59 so get a non o based on retirement then stay ongoing with extensions. Marry this lady you love. Just check ability to leave Philippines. Even if married. S##H### of country IMO. If possible she can live los if married to you.

1 hour ago, indieke said:

6 month tourist visa, multiple entry. The downside is, that I should leave the country every 2 months.

You get 60 days with each entry, which you can extend by 30 days at an immigration office. So effectively you need to leave every 3 months. If your last entry is just before the expiration of the METV (visa) then you get another 60 days (+30) anyway. So in reality you could stay for 8-9 months with two trips abroad meanwhile. Probably the best option and easier than getting a retirement visa.

As for your girlfriend, I'm not sure if METV is available in the Philippines, but SETV (Single Entry) visas probably are. It'll give her 60 days (+extend 30 more) so effectively the same schedule as you - but she will have to re-apply for a new SETV after each visit.

I don't know too much about housing in Pattaya, but I am sure you could either arrange a 6 months contract, or take a 12 months contract and leave early - you will just lose your deposit.

25 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

As for your girlfriend, I'm not sure if METV is available in the Philippines,

The METV is available in every country in the world for its home nationals. How easy it is to get varies. Someone without a job could find it very hard to get in some countries. I think the Non Ed visa may be the most practical solution.

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You get 60 days with each entry, which you can extend by 30 days at an immigration office. So effectively you need to leave every 3 months. If your last entry is just before the expiration of the METV (visa) then you get another 60 days (+30) anyway. So in reality you could stay for 8-9 months with two trips abroad meanwhile. Probably the best option and easier than getting a retirement visa.

As for your girlfriend, I'm not sure if METV is available in the Philippines, but SETV (Single Entry) visas probably are. It'll give her 60 days (+extend 30 more) so effectively the same schedule as you - but she will have to re-apply for a new SETV after each visit.

I don't know too much about housing in Pattaya, but I am sure you could either arrange a 6 months contract, or take a 12 months contract and leave early - you will just lose your deposit.

I do not understand..I am German (have 2 passports..also from the Netherlands because my mom was Dutch) and when I enter Thailand i only get 30 days...??

I also have that problem..my GF is NOT Thai...she is Chinese (mainland)..and its realy a hassle for her to stay in Thailand..so actualy we want to change the country were we can both live longterm. She has NO intrest in living permanently in Europe and I have NO intrest in moving to China. Right now we meet in Thailand (we met before in China) and then we go investigate if Cambodia (Shianoukville) is an option. For her it would be easy as many Chinese are there. I personaly also think Malaysia or Vietnam could be an option.

The thing with Thailand is...I realy like the food etc etc etc..but i do not want to live there...neither my GF. She only has business to attend to untill end of next year...then she is free to go. She is activ in real estate and organising tours for chinese tourists.

She wants to marry me in Denmark..or in Hong Kong...but I am not realy keen on marrying her..right yet. I need to sort this out ..I was married twice before...We are only 3 years apart in age, but she looks way younger..:-)

Take care all.

Hans.

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Sorry to say as she is  Filipina you may have problems everywhere. Including even getting her out of the Philippines.

That is not so much the concern. She been 14 times out of her country with me. First time is the most difficult one'.  Every time she joins me, I got papers ready I know her for 6 years, she is my gf, and I support her, and in no way she will work in Thailand. Pics enough..... Stamps in passport are also your friend.......

So now way she gets a visa for school, cooking classes.......

3 hours ago, Hans007 said:

I do not understand..I am German (have 2 passports..also from the Netherlands because my mom was Dutch) and when I enter Thailand i only get 30 days...??

I also have that problem..my GF is NOT Thai...she is Chinese (mainland)..and its realy a hassle for her to stay in Thailand..so actualy we want to change the country were we can both live longterm. She has NO intrest in living permanently in Europe and I have NO intrest in moving to China. Right now we meet in Thailand (we met before in China) and then we go investigate if Cambodia (Shianoukville) is an option. For her it would be easy as many Chinese are there. I personaly also think Malaysia or Vietnam could be an option.

The thing with Thailand is...I realy like the food etc etc etc..but i do not want to live there...neither my GF. She only has business to attend to untill end of next year...then she is free to go. She is activ in real estate and organising tours for chinese tourists.

She wants to marry me in Denmark..or in Hong Kong...but I am not realy keen on marrying her..right yet. I need to sort this out ..I was married twice before...We are only 3 years apart in age, but she looks way younger..:-)

Take care all.

Hans.

Hans you are lucky, as she already work in Thailand makes it easier. Malaysia is Muslim, so other mentality.  Cambodia is changing rapidly. Yes easier for her, but for yourself not sure, as you be living at the end same as in China.

For yourself, you get one month because you not ask for visa. You can get multiple entry  6 months visa, if you apply for it.   If you serious to stay in Asia, and would decide for Thailand after all, you can move when you leave around 20.000 € to a Thai bank account, and get retirement visa later (it has to be 6 months on that account, before apply for it).

Good luck to you too. My mother was Dutch origin too, but I only have Belgian passport....

My gf was never married by the way, was a virgin when met, so no problems for annulment of marriage either, and no kids.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

One answer I not get is if she can get a schooling visa, just easier and not have to go out of the  country all the time. Everybody takes Thai-class. But what about if she applies for Thai cooking? Why I ask? Because she would love to learn to cook Thai. She might be philippine, but she loves Thai food.   

I can also put money on her bank account for 3 months, and apply the 6 months visa for her too...... Of course officially she has no job, but can't she say she takes care of me, as I am handicapped (I really am, but not in wheelchair) ? 

The purpose is to see how we feel when we stay longer in Thailand. Sure government is not pro-foreigners, but I am lucky to have some savings. If bht is strong, still a lot of things are cheaper then in France, except my favorite stuff  .......wine

Get a multi entry tourist visa, extend it, then you only have to leave once. No retirement visa, no hassles no $800 k in the bank.

as far as rent goes, they are thousands of places to rent, no need for long term commitments.  Keep your cash in YOUR bank, in YOuR country. Things are going to hell in a hand asked there quickly.

good luck and best wishes to u and your gal.

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Get a multi entry tourist visa, extend it, then you only have to leave once. No retirement visa, no hassles no $800 k in the bank.

as far as rent goes, they are thousands of places to rent, no need for long term commitments.  Keep your cash in YOUR bank, in YOuR country. Things are going to hell in a hand asked there quickly.

good luck and best wishes to u and your gal.

Thanks Ron, ,that is exactly what I am going to do for myself.  For my Gf it is more complicated to obtain that multy entry visa. So, I wonder still of cooking school instead of language, would be possible.

I found a house, very nice in Huay Yai, cheaper a month, then long term, so I am settled.

Edited by indieke

METV is NOT possible for her. She needs for 6 months 300.000 P on her account that is too late. So I hope a regular visa will work, but every time she can be refused in the country.  She had one time trouble at Thai immigration, when she left, being accused of illegal work... 

So I hope I find a solution for this.