Cost Of Multiple Entry Tourist Or Type O Non Immigration Visa?

Last time I applied for one of these the guy at the consulate here tried to tell me that it was $50 per entry if you wanted mulitple entry and you had to know how many entries you wanted. To me if I pay for a multiple entry visa it means I can enter any number of times I ###### well please and I don't like someone trying to tell me I must know all the number of entries first. I'm sure he was trying to take me for a fool.

So what is the price USD for a multiple type O non immigration visa these days?

Last time I applied for one of these the guy at the consulate here tried to tell me that it was $50 per entry if you wanted mulitple entry and you had to know how many entries you wanted. To me if I pay for a multiple entry visa it means I can enter any number of times I ###### well please and I don't like someone trying to tell me I must know all the number of entries first. I'm sure he was trying to take me for a fool.

$US125

Steffi, probably you are confused – and confused “the guy at the consulate” – because you are talking about “multiple entry tourist or type O non immigration visa” in the same breath.

Tourist Visa: available for a specified number of entries. No multiple-entry visa available.

Non-immigrant O visa: available either for single-entry or multiple-entry. The multiple-entry visa is valid for an unlimited number of entries during the validity period of the visa.

You do not say what Thai consulate you talked to. The consulate in Washington lists the fees here, in not very good English. The first line should read “Non-immigrant visa US $50.00 for single entry and US $125.00 for multiple entries”

--

Maestro

So here's a follow up...

I rang my local consulate and they told me blank that they couldn't issue me with a mulitple entry type O non immigration visa. Their policy (despite having the cost of the multi entry on their website) is to only issue single entry and then for you to extend that once you are in Thailand. I wonder if that will be more expensive re: fees?

Anyway, then I rang DC and they told me that in DC they would have no problem issuing me a multiple entry type O non immigration visa because I met all the criteria and told me they didn't understand why my local consulate had this policy.

They also said that they cannot overrule the local consulate and that I had to apply at the local consulate.

So my wife can walk into the UK embassy and instantly get a multi entry visa valid for 2 years and even when I'm the spouse of a Thai national here the Thai consulate still wants to know what I'm going to be doing in Thailand.

I'm so sick of this consulate.

Edited by steffi

I rang my local consulate and they told me blank that they couldn't issue me with a mulitple entry type O non immigration visa. Their policy (despite having the cost of the multi entry on their website) is to only issue single entry and then for you to extend that once you are in Thailand. I wonder if that will be more expensive re: fees?

You cannot do that unless you can show a B40,000 a month family income coming into Thailand for a 3 month period prior to application for extension.

Anyway, then I rang DC and they told me that in DC they would have no problem issuing me a multiple entry type O non immigration visa because I met all the criteria and told me they didn't understand why my local consulate had this policy.

Best get an address within the boundries of a 'friendly' consulate and apply there

Which consulate is this?

So by now we know that

1. you are male (you mention your wife)

2. you are married to a Thai

3. you are a UK citizen (you talk about your wife going to a UK embassy for a visa valid for two years)

4. you live in the USA (you asked for the visa price in USD and mention your calling DC)

Yes, with these credentials it seems unusual that your Thai consulate refused you a multiple-entry non-O visa. It appears that Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued some new guidelines to consulates not too long ago and some consulates may have difficulty in interpreting them. Or if in your conversation with the consulate you used some of the same language as in your original post in this topic, words that this forum’s software automatically converts to ######, it is possible that the consulate may have taken a dislike towards you.

You say the Thai embassy in Washington DC told you that you must apply for your visa at your local consulate. Based on information posted by other members I believe you should be able to apply by mail at any honorary consulate in USA. Houston and Denver have been mentioned favourably, I recall. You may want to talk to them and find out.

--

Maestro

I've been married to a Thai for five years. I'm always polite when I'm dealing with the Thai consulate here. I've received single entry type o and tourist visa (prior to marriage) from them in the past without any difficulty. I just object to them not allowing me to purchase the multi entry type O visa at the moment. I know that if I ask them the reason they won't be able to give me one. They will just be able to say we don't do that. But I don't consider that a reason.

Which consulate is this?

So by now we know that

3. you are a UK citizen (you talk about your wife going to a UK embassy for a visa valid for two years)

4. you live in the USA (you asked for the visa price in USD and mention your calling DC)

Yes, with these credentials it seems unusual that your Thai consulate refused you a multiple-entry non-O visa. It appears that Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued some new guidelines to consulates not too long ago and some consulates may have difficulty in interpreting them. Or if in your conversation with the consulate you used some of the same language as in your original post in this topic, words that this forum’s software automatically converts to ######, it is possible that the consulate may have taken a dislike towards you.

You say the Thai embassy in Washington DC told you that you must apply for your visa at your local consulate. Based on information posted by other members I believe you should be able to apply by mail at any honorary consulate in USA. Houston and Denver have been mentioned favourably, I recall. You may want to talk to them and find out.

--

Maestro

Well they didn't want to give me multiple. After about an hour of back and forth b/w staff and the consulate they just kept on saying that they don't give mulitple for type O based on marriage. They said they only keep that for education etc etc. Personally DC told me specifically that I would/should qualify for mulitple without any concern but I'm pretty sure this consulate simply wants to make it seem they are doing somebody important a favour when they do actually hand out multiple and they only do so to people with influence etc.

They did insist that I can apply for mulitple in Thailand and that I wouldn't have to show any money being brought into Thailand each month but I'll believe that when I see it.

I've been married to a Thai for five years. I'm always polite when I'm dealing with the Thai consulate here. I've received single entry type o and tourist visa (prior to marriage) from them in the past without any difficulty. I just object to them not allowing me to purchase the multi entry type O visa at the moment. I know that if I ask them the reason they won't be able to give me one. They will just be able to say we don't do that. But I don't consider that a reason.

Which consulate is this?

So by now we know that

--

Maestro

They did insist that I can apply for mulitple in Thailand and that I wouldn't have to show any money being brought into Thailand each month but I'll believe that when I see it.

You cannot apply for a visa in Thailand. Call another consulate in the USA.

It would be interesting to know which Thai consulate has been giving you this hard time.

--

Maestro

So why don't you send your passport in the Mail to Washington DC? Seems as simple as that to me. I live in the SF Bay Area (Berkeley), so the nearest Thai Consulate is Los Angeles and they are able to process Visa Applications by mail as soon as the money order, proper paperwork and passport is received. You can even expidite it if you wish (next day air for a extra fee). Just checked out the Washington DC one as well and they accept applications by mail. It's all on their website:

http://www.thaiembdc.org

So why don't you send your passport in the Mail to Washington DC?

Craig, he said why:

... rang DC...They also said that they cannot overrule the local consulate and that I had to apply at the local consulate.

--------------

Maestro

what they have told me is that you can apply 3000 thb and get a mulitple on top of the single entry in Thailand. I suspect this is a blatant lie but he tells it well. Today I think 3-4 people were consulated re: whether they could give mulitple and in the end it was decided but not explained that they couldn't issue multiple. I rang the LA consulate today and asked what their policy was re: mulitple despite the fact they show it as an option on their website and they told me that it's on a case by case basis but that was only after telling him how difficult a time I was having at this particular consulate here.

You cannot apply for a visa in Thailand. Call another consulate in the USA.

It would be interesting to know which Thai consulate has been giving you this hard time.

--

Maestro

Hey Steffi,

Could you please indicate which Consulate you are having problems with? I think it would be great information for us Americans so we don't run into the same problem you have had in the future. I'm heading to Kuala Lumpur on April 8-10 to try and get a Multiple Entry visa there based on Marriage, but if for some reason they don't award it, I'm heading back to America in June and will try while I'm home working. Like I said, it would be nice to know which Consulate to avoid.

Steffi

It seems you have time to argue your case before you travel so just send it to Housten or Denver or DC, if they do it you have it, if they dont they will only send it all back to you, takes less than a week. They will be cautious when speaking on the phone as they have no idea who you are.

..please help others by naming the consulate you are currently dealing with

..and report back here on the result

Good luck

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Obviously I do not wish to name the consulate in question whilst it's currently processing ;-)

Steffi

It seems you have time to argue your case before you travel so just send it to Housten or Denver or DC, if they do it you have it, if they dont they will only send it all back to you, takes less than a week. They will be cautious when speaking on the phone as they have no idea who you are.

..please help others by naming the consulate you are currently dealing with

..and report back here on the result

Good luck

Well i'd like to but right now they have my passport and my visa and I'd rather wait.

Unfortunately they are a law unto themselves .. I'd love to know how I can file a formal complaint against them but honestly I do not how it would be followed up.

I mean what can you do when the Washington DC embassy says that they have no juristiction over what these people do?

Why not name and shame ?

They are spreadin lies about extending visas once in LOS. That has to be stamped out. In Asia, some nearby countries are using laws outdated in 2003 as a reason to refuse visas. It is plain wrong.

The DC embassy has just told me that it is in fact possible to apply for multiple entry visa at Soi Suan Plu. They said that I can apply for multiple entry type O non immigrant based on marriage with my wife at Soi Sun Plu.

So I guess i'm going ot find out whether this is possible or not.

Well i'd like to but right now they have my passport and my visa and I'd rather wait.

Unfortunately they are a law unto themselves .. I'd love to know how I can file a formal complaint against them but honestly I do not how it would be followed up.

I mean what can you do when the Washington DC embassy says that they have no juristiction over what these people do?

Why not name and shame ?

They are spreadin lies about extending visas once in LOS. That has to be stamped out. In Asia, some nearby countries are using laws outdated in 2003 as a reason to refuse visas. It is plain wrong.

The DC embassy has just told me that it is in fact possible to apply for multiple entry visa at Soi Suan Plu. They said that I can apply for multiple entry type O non immigrant based on marriage with my wife at Soi Sun Plu.

Steffi, Thai consulates usually don’t have a clue how Thai Immigration offices work, and vice-versa, but what the DC embassy told you comes quit close.

1. If you enter Thailand without a visa or with a tourist visa and if you meet the criteria for annual extension, you can apply at Immigration for a change of visa to non-O visa status. This gives you 90 days permission to stay. If you enter with a non-O visa – single or multiple entry – you can skip this first step of change of visa.

2. Then you apply at Immigration for annual extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

3. Then you apply at Immigration for a re-entry permit – single or multiple entry. This keeps your permitted period of stay alive when you travel outside Thailand.

4. Then every year, during the last 30 days of your permitted period of stay, you apply for a new annual extension.

--

Maestro

Yeah that's what I thought. It's quite clear to me that they don't want to give me mulitple entry visa for the same reasons that other nations consulates do hand them out. If I want to travel many times within a 2 year period I should be entitled to that visa. That fact that I'm not makes me very upset.

Steffi, Thai consulates usually don’t have a clue how Thai Immigration offices work, and vice-versa, but what the DC embassy told you comes quit close.

1. If you enter Thailand without a visa or with a tourist visa and if you meet the criteria for annual extension, you can apply at Immigration for a change of visa to non-O visa status. This gives you 90 days permission to stay. If you enter with a non-O visa – single or multiple entry – you can skip this first step of change of visa.

2. Then you apply at Immigration for annual extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

--

Maestro

Yeah that's what I thought. It's quite clear to me that they don't want to give me mulitple entry visa for the same reasons that other nations consulates do hand them out. If I want to travel many times within a 2 year period I should be entitled to that visa. That fact that I'm not makes me very upset.
You ARE entitled to it ,you just don't seem to want to do what you have to to get it...and that is to avoid the consulate you are dealing with at the moment. Americans are getting Non Imm O visas in USA every day. It'll make you more upset when you find out you cant get a visa whilst in Thailand and they shrug their shoulders when you go back and tell them.

The rules are that I have to apply at local consulate. you cannot send your application elsewhere and expect them to process it if you live in the juristiction of another consulate. All they will do is simply refuse to process it and tell you you have to process it at your local consulate.

Now, I have a Non Imm O visa it's just not multi entry but only single entry and that's what this thread is all about.

You ARE entitled to it ,you just don't seem to want to do what you have to to get it...and that is to avoid the consulate you are dealing with at the moment. Americans are getting Non Imm O visas in USA every day. It'll make you more upset when you find out you cant get a visa whilst in Thailand and they shrug their shoulders when you go back and tell them.

The rules are that I have to apply at local consulate. you cannot send your application elsewhere and expect them to process it if you live in the juristiction of another consulate. All they will do is simply refuse to process it and tell you you have to process it at your local consulate.

Now, I have a Non Imm O visa it's just not multi entry but only single entry and that's what this thread is all about.

Sorry, maybe I don't fully understand, but other people in the U.S. have reported sending their passports to other consulates and securing visas. I don't see the injustice as you mentioned in an earlier remark. You were unfortunate that your situation was borderline. And we all know, that on any given day, one can run into someone who is incompetant or having a "bad day". But, usually if the proper procedures are followed, there isn't a problem. If that doesn't work, then sure, try something else. But, for a guy who is reluctant to take a taxi from the airport late at night, are you really sure you want to be here?

So now your defending their actions? Listen the person who made the decision is the same individual who gave me my single entry tourist visa several years ago prior to my marriage. So this wasn't an inexperienced staff member. My wife was with me to explain everything and we asked them why they list the $125 for multiple entry and all they could say was that that doesn't apply for cases based on marriage. That is a blatant lie. Additionally I've heard in the past of others being treated poorly by this particular consulate.

You could tell this consulate official was lying his ass off because when confronted with a convincing argument he had to run away to find yet another reason to justify their policy.

re: Taxi. Please don't bring that up here it's nothing to do with this posting. Please note i've been to Thailand several times in the past it's not a new experience for me. Again please don't go OT in this thread.

Sorry, maybe I don't fully understand, but other people in the U.S. have reported sending their passports to other consulates and securing visas. I don't see the injustice as you mentioned in an earlier remark. You were unfortunate that your situation was borderline. And we all know, that on any given day, one can run into someone who is incompetant or having a "bad day". But, usually if the proper procedures are followed, there isn't a problem. If that doesn't work, then sure, try something else. But, for a guy who is reluctant to take a taxi from the airport late at night, are you really sure you want to be here?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up and say that I was dealing with the Chicago consulate.

The irony is that as we were departing at the airport in Chicago we were approached by a gentleman seeking assistance with helping two ladies transfer at Narita. Apparently they weren't sure which way to go and he asked me and my wife whether we could help them. He claimed at the time that these two ladies were assistants of the Consulate in Chicago. So here we have a situation where I'm being asked to help staff who work at the Consulate which blatantly refused without reason to issue me with a mulitple entry type O immigration visa. Btw: we assisted them in transfering at Narita but I must say I was quite wary about being approached by strangers to do anything in an airport. From what I understand I was unduly paranoid about this arrangement but I will always be in a similar situation in the future.

Nope.. Incorrect information..

And you have already been told consuls which do accept mailed applications..

Of course now you have a single entry you may have made a rod for your own back.