Registering a new vehicle with a pink ID card

CMoldie

I have often seen people ask what use a pink ID card is. Well, in Chiang Mai, the Land Transport Office will register a new vehicle against a yellow book plus pink ID card. No need for a residence certificate.

I know because I have just registered a new motor scooter in this way. I waited until I had the licence plate to make sure this was possible. I got the plate last week.

You didn't need a certificate of residence because you have the yellow book, not because you have the pink id card.

Yellow book + passport would also have worked to register the vehicle, so the pink id card didn't make it easier ????

OP, Depending on the office, there are 3-4 things that the DLT will usually accept as proof of address, a resident certificate, a yellow book, a work permit (when they had address on them) or a consulate letter. As for ID, they will either accept passport (name in english) or pink ID (name in Thai).

Yellow book with your name in Thai script doesnt match a passport ID where your name is in English, and vica versa, pink ID wont match english name on resident certificate.

2 hours ago, CMoldie said:

I have heard of this combination being refused in Chiang Mai and the applicant being sent for a residence certificate.

The 4 legal ways of proving your residency when you dont have a tabien baan are 

1) Letter from immigration
2) Letter from Embassy 
3) Work permit (old style, new style hit and miss) 

4) Yellow house book. 

Pink ID card adds nothing to the yellow house book.. 

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

2) Letter from Embassy 

4) Yellow house book. 

I use my pink card for everything it’s always in my wallet discount at my dentist my local government hospital on the ferry boat even the private hospital gave me Thai rate so as far as I am concerned it is well worth having I never ever take my passport out of the safe  no need to pink ID as well as Thai driver license is all I have ever used my passport is only brought out for immigration or when leaving the country.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, Depending on the office, there are 3-4 things that the DLT will usually accept as proof of address, a resident certificate, a yellow book, a work permit (when they had address on them) or a consulate letter. As for ID, they will either accept passport (name in english) or pink ID (name in Thai).

Yellow book with your name in Thai script doesnt match a passport ID where your name is in English, and vica versa, pink ID wont match english name on resident certificate.

How do Australian citizens deal with the embassy letter issue, which they no longer issue? Not sure about other embassies, but the Aussies stopped doing them at the beginning of the year, alongside the income letters. Looks like Aussies now need to deal with immigration, unless they have either a yellow book or work permit.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I use my pink card for everything it’s always in my wallet discount at my dentist my local government hospital on the ferry boat even the private hospital gave me Thai rate so as far as I am concerned it is well worth having I never ever take my passport out of the safe  no need to pink ID as well as Thai driver license is all I have ever used my passport is only brought out for immigration or when leaving the country.

Private hospitals should have one rate for all, at least all the hospitals I've ever gone to do. Do you know which hospitals employ dual pricing so I know to avoid them? The only one I am definitely aware of that does this is Sriraj hospital but that's a government hospital. You couldn't pay me to go there.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Never found anything a pnk ID was good for the driving license wasnt.. 

7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

2) Letter from Embassy 

4) Yellow house book. 

Letter from embassy? How knows my embassy where I live?

On 8/6/2019 at 7:47 AM, jackdd said:

You didn't need a certificate of residence because you have the yellow book, not because you have the pink id card.

Yellow book + passport would also have worked to register the vehicle, so the pink id card didn't make it easier ????

The OPs point is that the pink card is useful. For some weird reason some people don’t want to accept that it is. 

11 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

The OPs point is that the pink card is useful. For some weird reason some people don’t want to accept that it is. 

My point is, OP wanted to show an example of how the pink id card is useful, but actually it didn't offer any advantage in this case.

19 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I find it really weird that no matter how many times we give examples of when a pink card has helped us, they anti brigade tell us it’s useless

I think there's fingerprintig involved, some people don't like that.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

My point is, OP wanted to show an example of how the pink id card is useful, but actually it didn't offer any advantage in this case.

The advantage is that the op didn't need to carry his passport which is the only other ID the LTD would accept.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So you have a pink card then,  otherwise you wouldn’t know

I have / had at an old address.. My current amphur demands the poo yai baan attend and I as I found zero practical use for it, havent jumped through the hoops of doing the yellow book here.. 

So... any more questions ??

I find it really weird that no matter how many times we give examples of when a pink card has helped us, they anti brigade tell us it’s useless. 

And yet theres never one concrete benefit... In fact the OP is miss guided enough to think his Pink ID did anything, when in fact the yellow house book was the sole reason. 

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

I have / had at an old address.. My current amphur demands the poo yai baan attend and I as I found zero practical use for it, havent jumped through the hoops of doing the yellow book here.. 

So... any more questions ??

I didn’t ask any questions. However I have found both my yellow book AND pink card extremely useful many times over.

So you have a pink card then,  otherwise you wouldn’t know

I found the yellow book useful many times.. Big time saver if buying selling vehicles, licenses, etc etc.. 

Can you give any single reason the Pink ID card is useful eg more use than just having my passport and Thai driving license. 

3 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I didn’t ask any questions. However I have found both my yellow book AND pink card extremely useful many times over.

I agree with the yellow book (don't have the pink card). Does the pink card give the same benefits as the yellow book?

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I found the yellow book useful many times.. Big time saver if buying selling vehicles, licenses, etc etc.. 

Can you give any single reason the Pink ID card is useful eg more use than just having my passport and Thai driving license. 

Buying a SIM card,  checking in hotels, equal pricing at national park. 

Just now, Vacuum said:

I agree with the yellow book (don't have the pink card). Does the pink card give the same benefits as the yellow book?

Like everything here, it can vary from one place to another. So some place will accept pink card some won’t. One simple example. I was buying a SIM to give to a visiting family member. True wouldn’t accept my pink card. AIS took it no questions asked

3 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Buying a SIM card,  checking in hotels, equal pricing at national park. 

As already stated, Pink ID card doesnt entitle you to National Park / Thai rate, tho sometimes nice park folks let people in, same as they let people with Thai driving licenses in. Watched a mate become very deflated when refused only a month or two ago, after making a big fuss about how he had one to get the stone cold 'not Thai'.. 

SIM cards, checking in hotels, again none of these things are any different at all to Thai DL or passport. 

Surely you can name 1 actual reason to get one ?? 

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Like everything here, it can vary from one place to another. So some place will accept pink card some won’t. One simple example. I was buying a SIM to give to a visiting family member. True wouldn’t accept my pink card. AIS took it no questions asked

I use a 'proxy' when buing a sim or phone.

Archived