WAR & PEACE !

Excellent report.  And it good to see your immigration office was happy with the basic bank letter and supporting credit advice docs.  The immigration office didn't require  letter that only listed the foreign transfers.

The immigration office apparently didn't care about passbook coding...coding that can vary (i.e., FTT, BTN, I/R, etc) depending on the transfer method, how the last leg of the transfer was handled, etc.  With all the variations in coding used by different Thai banks it's got to be hard for immigration offices to determine which transfers were international or local.   The immigration office seemed to place the greatest emphasis on "Thai bank letter and credit advice docs" confirming the transfers originated from outside of Thailand.    

Now all of your transfers were SWIFT transfers coming from Bangkok Bank London.  They were clearly international transfers.  If I had to guess I would guess I/R stands for International Remittance. 

One question I have is "Would Bangkok Bank have included transfers on the bank letter that did not have the FTT International Transfer or I/R International Remittance coding in their system?  Like say for BTN/Bahtnet or SMT/SMART coding some people receive for some international transfers....that coding appears usually because the last leg of an international transfer was handled by another Thai bank. 

• Thanks 1

That is why I drop by my bank a day or so after the deposit comes in to update my passbook and ask for a credit advice for the deposit. Much easier than having to collect them at the end of the year. Of course, I am lucky. I am only about a 5 minute walk from my bank so I get a bit of exercise as well.

David

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Surely a transfer of GBP to a GBP foreign currency account MUST be from abroad, and be coded as such.

Thanks for your observation, but FYI a transfer of GBP to a GBP FCA may not necessarily be from abroad and, therefore, will not be coded as an international transfer.  For example;  

a)  When I initially opened the FCA with BB HQ, I gave them 5K GBP in cash as the initial deposit.  The cash came with me from the UK (I had a UK bank confirmation of withdrawing that amount for UK/Thai customs clearance if required) so the money came from abroad.  However, the transfer was coded as a cash deposit in the bank passbook.  The bank would have no idea if the money came with me from the UK or I had some form of business in Thailand that only accepted payments in GBP cash.

b)  If you have 2 FCAs, at 2 different banks, and then transfer say GBP from 1 account to the other I suspect that the transfer will not be classified as an international transfer.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pib said:

...... it good to see your immigration office was happy with the basic bank letter and supporting credit advice docs.  The immigration office didn't require  letter that only listed the foreign transfers.

Thanks for your comments. 

Correct, the IO was quite comfortable with the bank letter which only quoted the total amount of GBP transferred from abroad during the 12 month period.  As mentioned, she quickly whipped out her calculator and divided the total by 12 and multiplied that by the exchange rate at the time.

Regarding a bank letter that only listed the foreign transfers, that was not mentioned or offered by the bank and the IO did not indicate that was what they wanted.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

The immigration office apparently didn't care about passbook coding...coding that can vary (i.e., FTT, BTN, I/R, etc) depending on the transfer method, how the last leg of the transfer was handled, etc.  With all the variations in coding used by different Thai banks it's got to be hard for immigration offices to determine which transfers were international or local.   The immigration office seemed to place the greatest emphasis on "Thai bank letter and credit advice docs" confirming the transfers originated from outside of Thailand. 

Again correct, she only compared the date/amount shown on the Credit Advice Note with that entered in the passbook.  As you say, with all the various coded used by each bank, let alone used by the different banks, she would need an 'almanac' to decipher the all the codes. 

14 hours ago, Pib said:

One question I have is "Would Bangkok Bank have included transfers on the bank letter that did not have the FTT International Transfer or I/R International Remittance coding in their system?  Like say for BTN/Bahtnet or SMT/SMART coding some people receive for some international transfers....that coding appears usually because the last leg of an international transfer was handled by another Thai bank. 

That's the 64K $ question which I cannot answer as all my transfers were coded as SWIFT on the Credit Advice Notes or I/R in my passbook.

8 hours ago, Genericnic said:

That is why I drop by my bank a day or so after the deposit comes in to update my passbook and ask for a credit advice for the deposit. Much easier than having to collect them at the end of the year. Of course, I am lucky. I am only about a 5 minute walk from my bank so I get a bit of exercise as well.

David

You could save yourself the 5 minute walk if you want.  Just ask the bank to send you a notification email when your funds have been deposited to your account.  The email has a pdf attached which is the Credit Advice Note that you pick up from the bank.  This facility is free.

In my case it saves a 4 hour plus round trip on the bus and BTS from home into BKK.

Of course you may well say that you need the exercise which is a good enough reason to go to the bank.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 007 RED said:

There would also be a fee for providing the letter and a 12 month statement.

Sometimes I think the Thai banks wrote the book on bank fees.    I'm waiting for the day there's an entrance fee to enter the bank.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

Thanks for your report. It seems that the only problem you and others have had is obtaining the correct documentation from the bank, Immigration have been no problem at all.

In my case the frustration of the day was definitely obtaining the letter and Credit Advice Notes from the Bank.  It amassed me that they could not extract more than 6 months worth of CAN's automatically and had to locate those older than 6 months manually which took so much time.

As mentioned in my original post, I only went to my local Immigration Office on the way home to get their view as to whether or not they would accept the bank letter and ACNs pending doing my renewal next week.  Much to my surprise the IO no only said that both documents were acceptable as evidence of 65K/month having been transferred into a Thai bank from abroad, but that she insisted that I do my extension renewal then - I had no other supporting documents, and as far as I was aware Immigration only allow you to do a renewal within a month of the existing extension expiring.  In my case it was a week and one month.  The IO copied all the necessary pages from my passport FOC all I had to do was get my photo taken and fill in a new TM7.  A great service.

Edited by 007 RED
  • Thanks 1

I would bet a big chunk of money the lady you dealt with at the Bangkok Bank head office Remittance Section is the same lady I've talked to a couple of times when I go get a credit advice.  I'm not using the monthly income method (I use the Bt800K deposit method), but I was getting some credit advices just to satisfy my curiosity as to how hard/easy they are to get, how long it took, pricing, and ask some questions along the way.

One time I even paid Bt100 to get the "monthly income" letter which list transfers individually (I posted this in a related thread)...this was just to satisfy my curiosity.   Some others have posted similar letters.  But before preparing this letter the lady also asked if I just wanted the type of letter like you got...the letter that basically just showed total amount on deposit.  

During one visit I asked if she would reflect on the monthly income letter that a certain international transfer which is always code BTN/Bahtnet (an US Social Security International Direct Deposit transfer) since the final leg of this transfer is routed thru the Bank of Thailand Bahtnet System which is predominately used for domestic transfer. 

The lady said no....would not list it on the letter although the credit advice clearly showed it originated from the U.S.  I questioned her a little more about why not include it....never got a good answer in my opinion.   I expect since then she has been hit-up with similar questions because her section does a lot of immigration letters with it being the head office branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.  And guidance from the head office branch is what other branches around Thailand many times go by. The head office branch is were where I have my accounts. 

Over the next week or two I plan to swing by and get another credit advice and also ask the question again "Will you include transfers on the letter that the credit advice clearly confirms is an international transfer but your Bangkok Bank coding does not....like maybe for a BTN/Bahtnet transfer.....a SMT/SMART transfer from Transferwise, etc?"   

See what the answer is now....see if it's changed since the last time I've asked.  For me I just find it hard to understand if a credit advice shows a transfer originated from outside of Thailand that it can't be included on their monthly income letter.   

22 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

You could save yourself the 5 minute walk if you want.  Just ask the bank to send you a notification email when your funds have been deposited to your account.  The email has a pdf attached which is the Credit Advice Note that you pick up from the bank.  This facility is free.

In my case it saves a 4 hour plus round trip on the bus and BTS from home into BKK.

Of course you may well say that you need the exercise which is a good enough reason to go to the bank.

What bank is that?   SCB, K-bank, etc. 

It's not Bangkok Bank as I get SMSs of international remittances and there is no PDF attached.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

What bank is that?   SCB, K-bank, etc. 

It's not Bangkok Bank as I get SMSs of international remittances and there is no PDF attached.

I don't know which bank @Genericnic uses, but my bank is Bangkok Bank HQ and I arranged with them about 4 months ago to send me a notification email when funds (GBP) have been credited to my Foreign Currency Deposit Account.

When I registered for this service I noted that there were 2 notification options, namely; SMS or email.  I opted for email notification.  As previously mentioned this service is FREE.

It took them about 2 months to activate my request, so I've only been getting email notification from them for the past 2 months.  I just expected a very basic email stating that they have received funds which have been credited to my account, so I was very surprised by the amount of detail which they actually provided in their email.

I have attached a screen shot of a recent email from Bangkok Bank and as you will see it not only has the Credit Advice information in the main text body, but there is also a pdf file attached (just above the bank logo) which is a direct copy of Credit Advice Note that the bank provided to me on Monday together with the letter for Immigration. 

The bonus of the pdf is that I can save it in my Immigration/bank file ready for next year.

Email-pdf_Redacted-iv.jpg.8d0bb3cbb567281aeea20ae2bfec7582.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

I don't know which bank @Genericnic uses, but my bank is Bangkok Bank HQ and I arranged with them about 4 months ago to send me a notification email when funds (GBP) have been credited to my Foreign Currency Deposit Account.

When I registered for this service I noted that there were 2 notification options, namely; SMS or email.  I opted for email notification.  As previously mentioned this service is FREE.

It took them about 2 months to activate my request, so I've only been getting email notification from them for the past 2 months.  I just expected a very basic email stating that they have received funds which have been credited to my account, so I was very surprised by the amount of detail which they actually provided in their email.

I have attached a screen shot of a recent email from Bangkok Bank and as you will see it not only has the Credit Advice information in the main text body, but there is also a pdf file attached (just above the bank logo) which is a direct copy of Credit Advice Note that the bank provided to me on Monday together with the letter for Immigration. 

The bonus of the pdf is that I can save it in my Immigration/bank file ready for next year.

Thanks for the Info. Its something else we can arrange from BKKB automatically to cross reference our monthly transfers. 

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Thanks.  I have the free SMS Remittance Alert setup where I get a SMS stating amount rec'd, from whom, exchange rate, receiving fee, amount posting to acct , etc.  But that's it...no attached file/no attached credit advice.  This is for a Thai baht acct; not a FCD acct.   Also, it's only an SMS; no email.  More info here:  https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/SMS-Services/SMS-Remittance-Alert

I wonder if what you are getting is unique to a FCD.  My gut is leaning that way right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, 007 RED said:

She noted that the letter stated the total amount of funds (GBP) which had been transferred from overseas during the past 12 months and promptly took out her calculator and divided the figure by 12.

For those of us who only started making qualifying foreign transfers in January, division of the total by twelve will present some issues.

I would hope, assuming leniency is applied, that any total would be divided by the number of months from Jan up to the month of this year's extension application? And further, that each month would be verified to be greater than 65,000 baht.

For standard passbook savings accounts Bangkok Bank does not offer any alert/notification for Credit Advice/Receipts. At least it doesn't show as an option on iBanking, where you can get SMS alert for an arriving foreign remittance (these work well), and email options for many other activies.

I just pick up each CAR each month shortly after the transfer is credited, these are free, but do require the passbook (no ID requested, intersetingly enough), which must be updated to show the transaction associated with the CAR.

Edited by mtls2005