MG breaks new ground in Thailand with Extender pickup

MG breaks new ground in Thailand with Extender pickup

By The Nation

800_f7555832b6e4aec.jpg

MG has unveiled its first pickup truck for the Thai market, the Extender, priced from Bt549,000 for the entry-level model to Bt1.029 million for the range-topping 4x4 model.

The MG Extender features a 1.9-metre pickup bed, which is the longest in the market. It is powered by a 2.0-litre direct-injection turbo diesel engine that produces 161hp and 375Nm. Both six-speed manual and automatic gearboxes are available.

The Extender Giant Cab models come with a 10-inch touchscreen, smart entry and multi-function steering, while the Double Cab models also come with powered front seats, foldable rear seats and rear air vents.

The i-SMART Thai voice control system is also available in the Extender along with the smart connect MG app for online music or destination searches.

Apart from the regular safety features like airbags, ABS brakes and stability control, the Extender has blind spot detection and lane departure warning, plus hill-start assist and hill-descent control.

The MG Extender will be officially launched at the BIG Motor Sale 2019 from August 16-25.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30374435

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-07
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Totally agree, its priced on par with proven and already established models like Ford Ranger and Triton, why would i pay the same amount for a mediocre brand which hardly holds value and is new in the game of pick ups? Yes great its long base and what?

On the other hand MG Thailand have Free Service to 80,000 km and 4 year warranty 120,000  ??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ABS brakes and stability control, the Extender has blind spot detection and lane departure warning, plus hill-start assist and hill-descent control.

I hope there is no over-ride button as this might just assist the average Somchai driver !!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I hope there is no over-ride button as this might just assist the average Somchai driver !!

The average Somchai does not need any of these driver aids to smack head-on into an oncoming vehicle or hit an errant power pole or a dangerously placed coconut tree. Stupidity, arrogance and ignorance is still the default driving mode for Thai males.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

The average Somchai does not need any of these driver aids to smack head-on into an oncoming vehicle or hit an errant power pole or a dangerously placed coconut tree. Stupidity, arrogance and ignorance is still the default driving mode for Thai males.

WIth no real driving test and no responsibility taught they are just following the example given - its almost like the roads are designed to be death traps for population control

Most dangerous roads in the world

Average IQ under 70

Most cars on the road in the world

Largest consumer of whisky imports in the world

What a combination!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

That looks an awful lot like the current Toyota pick-up. Have they shared development, or is it just a blatant rip-off?  ????????

2018-Toyota-HiLux-Revo.jpg

That photo is a Toyota pick-up. This is the MG, and yes it is similar - note it is pick-up shaped and has 4 wheels too .   In fact all pick-ups are similar

image.png.45e63e28c810cad78a727a9c6a9a77b5.pngimage.png.45e63e28c810cad78a727a9c6a9a77b5.png

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Literally the worst car brand I have ever seen now trying to do something useful - come on! 

MG will fail within 5 years because its product is total crap

Well they have been producing the MG in China for overseas markets since late 2010 so guess your statement  is as much crap as your opinion of the cars and the projected failure time for MG.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

They started production in July 2014..............which 5 years are you referring to ?

Rubbish again, the MG6 was launched in April 2011. Get your facts right. And July 2014 to August 2019 is over 5 years so you are wrong on both counts.????

Edited by geoffbezoz

Surely NOT success project for mg ! 

Because in thailand market many famous brand product pickup truck or ute ! How MG can competition with giants brand include ( Ford ,toyota, isuzu , mitsu , nissan , chevrolet,mazda ) ????

with price or option or with what ???? 

With finance rate ???????‍♂️

No success same TATA in thai market ! 

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

That photo is a Toyota pick-up. This is the MG, and yes it is similar - note it is pick-up shaped and has 4 wheels too .   In fact all pick-ups are similar

image.png.45e63e28c810cad78a727a9c6a9a77b5.pngimage.png.45e63e28c810cad78a727a9c6a9a77b5.png

I know I posted the Toyota, it was a point of reference against the OP post.  The shape of the grill, the lights, and the fog lamp surrounds are all far to similar to the Toyota to be a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

My bad, did not realise MG has been in Thailand since 2011.... my post was referring to when the 1st manufacturing (Thailand) facility went online..... was I wrong ?

From Wiki

"The MG marque along with other assets of MG Rover were purchased by Nanjing Automobile Group (which merged into SAIC in 2008). MG production restarted in 2007 in China. The first all-new MG model in the UK for 16 years, the MG 6, officially launched on 26 June 2011."

Your post never mentioned anything about Thai manufacturing so yes you were totally wrong about MG producing cars since 2014 when in fact it was much earlier. You will also note that despite the fact you suggested they would shut down after 5 years they have far exceeded that, and also for that matter the manufacturing of MGs in Thailand. So as I said before, your earlier statement was, and still is rubbish. Let the facts speak for themselves.

8 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Your post never mentioned anything about Thai manufacturing so yes you were totally wrong a

Hardly my fault if if the context of my post went over your head....

anyway run along with your rude posts.......... do you want me to google that for you... or are you capable ?

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ignis said:

On the other hand MG Thailand have Free Service to 80,000 km and 4 year warranty 120,000  ??

Ford offer 5 years , 100 000 free service same as Mitsu, just bought a new one last month . Free service included ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Humpy said:

I wonder if the sales staff know what  ' MG ' stands for ?

As we all know big names have been snapped up to be attached to other folks stuff...We also know big names were bought but carried on making the same item. As for the MG truck, it is a Chinese truck with a bought badge.