Thai astronomer quells fears over asteroid hitting earth

webfact

3 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

They say, on average, one asteroid the size of Apophis (370 metres) can be expected to impact Earth about every 80,000 years. So, the time is probably coming...

The last one was only 12,800 years ago, so we should be ok for a while - maybe?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

"Thais who shared the news on social media and warned that the world was about to come to an end." 

The government should put them all into jail because they are spreading fake news with the intention to create unrest. 

They all ran to the lottery vendors and and bought the asteroids number.

• Haha 1

Well Thailand's experts didn't tell the whole story did they...naughty, naughty. Asteroid 2006 QQ23 (about 1,870 ft long) will be followed by

45094 2013 BZ45 (a little over 800 ft diam.) and I think is due on Sunday. 45094 is expected to be a little closer (in round figures QQ23 @ 0.05 & 45094 @ 0.044 AU) 45094 is moving faster than QQ23.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well Thailand's experts didn't tell the whole story did they...naughty, naughty. Asteroid 2006 QQ23 (about 1,870 ft long) will be followed by

45094 2013 BZ45 (a little over 800 ft diam.) and I think is due on Sunday. 45094 is expected to be a little closer (in round figures QQ23 @ 0.05 & 45094 @ 0.044 AU) 45094 is moving faster than QQ23.

Double Doomsday! 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Please don't tell these people about 99942 Apophis, a 350-meter wide asteroid that will pass Earth on April 13, 2029 (a Friday!!!) at a distance of only 31,000 kilometers (i.e. ten times closer than the moon). We don't want a panic, do we?

No Cap't Manwering were quite okay thanks !!

22 hours ago, TKDfella said:

What numbers lottery I have to put ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

What numbers lottery I have to put ?

The one that doesn't collide...if one day a rather large asteroid approaches and collides you won't be able to collect anyway, Ha. Try this one 101955 Bennu, an asteroid that's on route and has a 1 in 2700 chance, well that's the present estimate, of collision...in about 150 years time, Ha!

To put it in perspective, these asteroids will miss earth by so much it would be like you driving down the inside lane one side of a motorway and a bullet being fired down the inside lane on the other side.

Anyway, most Thais do not even know what countries are it's neighbours in Asean, let alone what planet Thailand is on!

• Like 1

Overpopulation and idiot politicians who deny climate change will end the earth long before comet hits it. Look at the exponential change in the past 100 years in population and climate. Imagine the world in 1000 years!

On 8/8/2019 at 9:05 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Please don't tell these people about 99942 Apophis, a 350-meter wide asteroid that will pass Earth on April 13, 2029 (a Friday!!!) at a distance of only 31,000 kilometers (i.e. ten times closer than the moon). We don't want a panic, do we?

I did not even know about this, thanks for that , now I am in full panic mode. 10 years to get my affairs in order 

Okay, some perspective. These rocks are whizzing by all the time and most astronomers agree it's not 'if' but 'when' one will hit Earth. Let's just hope we have the capability to deal with it when it does happen. Maybe the American and French newly formed 'Space Force' (well announcements anyway) can deal with it, Ha!