SURVEY: TM 30 -- How serious is it?

SURVEY: TM 30 -- How serious is it?  

362 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, petedk said:

Where do you live?
I have never ever had a Visa extension done in under FIVE hours at Chaeng Wattana. Even though I have received a number at about 7.30

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hua Hin.  The office here has always been at the top of the pile when it comes to efficiency and common sense.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

But more than 90% of hotels don't require a passport, a driving licence suffices.

Well I stayed in 3 hotels, Ban Phe, Samed and Pattaya, all of which I've used before and like you say, in the past a driving licence was suffice.  Not this time.  They had to have my passport.  I guess to fill in the TM30.

So to another poster:  I'm sure the hotels did what was necessary and therefore I would be on record as having been away from home.  However, it wasn't a problem at my IM.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, petedk said:

Where do you live?
I have never ever had a Visa extension done in under FIVE hours at Chaeng Wattana. Even though I have received a number at about 7.30

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My Non O-A extension at CW last September took about 45 minutes, on a Monday afternoon too which was quite extraordinary. This however was before the UK stopped providing embassy letters, before TM30 was a household curse, and before the dynasty of Bigs took over immigration with an iron fist. 

With all of the data immigration holds on aliens I wonder how the recent law that Thailand’s Parliament passed, the Personal Data Protection Act, a bill created to offer citizens similar protections to the EU General Data Protection Regulation, will affect them should there be a data breach?

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

this regulation is a US cop's wet dream. imagine if they actually had accurate information where everyone actually lived. they might actually be able to do something. 

it is so funny because i bet the same thing that happens there happens here. the people that need to use the govt offices, working people to do things like get their drivers license, they need to report their current address. all the drug dealers and other folks who need to maintain their cover of course dont need to go into govt offices. 

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes but I do need to mention on my TM6 the address ok so I arrive lets say on the 3rd

but I stay at the hotel on the 5th will that cause any problems to the hotel?

Should not be any problem to the hotel. 

17 hours ago, MartinKal said:

If there was some official explanation of why this is necessary it would help swing people into line. It's always best to discuss change with people affected, and listen to them, if only to avoid making mistakes.

It's always been the law for as long as I've been aware there was such a thing as a TM30, but as with many things it wasn't enforced eg many guest houses didn't bother.

It shouldn't affect real tourists as the owner/ manager of the hotel/ guest house etc will be doing it- it's actually not a guest responsibility.

The only people adversely affected will be those that own their own lodging. 

I lived in the family houses so I did it myself. When in the village I just went to the police station, and they had never heard of it, but wrote my details in their big book.

Till they strap trackers to our ankles, they still don't know if we go to stay with friends- up to you if you want to register every time you leave the property for more than 24 hours, though it is the law.

3 hours ago, wobalt said:

I have a non O multi entry as well but CW told me a TM is not required. as I stay only 90 days in the country?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

TM 30 is nothing to do with length of stay. Perhaps they didn't understand the question- English is not their first language.

Even a tourist only in LOS for a week will have a TM 30 done by the place they stay, and every time they move, another one.

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

yes but I do need to mention on my TM6 the address ok so I arrive lets say on the 3rd

but I stay at the hotel on the 5th will that cause any problems to the hotel?

For decades tourists have arrived not knowing where they will be staying, so they just write down any hotel/ guest house they find in The Lonely Planet.

It's BS anyway, as how many tourists stay in that address for the entire length of their holiday in LOS? On a 3 week holiday I'd move about every 3 days.

Of course, they could completely lose it and require advance bookings for every day of a holiday, but that would really drive away the bagpackers.

I have to admit I don't understand the reason for making it more difficult- the vast majority of tourists never cause a problem, so why penalise everyone?

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So I am not an expat anymore I just come here for a holiday some times

so call me a tourist when i arrive I will sleep the first 2 nights in my

friends place and then 2 weeks in a hotel does my friend has to report

I stay in his place for 2 nights or is it OK just for the hotel to report since

I need to put the address on my TM6

I write  my  address  so badly to be sure they cant read it????

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So I am not an expat anymore I just come here for a holiday some times

so call me a tourist when i arrive I will sleep the first 2 nights in my

friends place and then 2 weeks in a hotel does my friend has to report

I stay in his place for 2 nights or is it OK just for the hotel to report since

I need to put the address on my TM6

According to the law that has been in place for decades, yes.

We've been getting away with it because they didn't have the computers to track us that well. Perhaps they now do.

Feel lucky?

TM30, the synonym of paranoia among foreigners, I inquired from three immigration offices (Koh Samui, Mae Hong Song and Nakhon Sawan), the answer is always the same, the TM30 form must be filled by hotel / resort and by everyone those that host people.
I have never been asked to do so in 24 years in Thailand.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wobalt said:

What terrorist? Most terrorist are possibly Thai?

The TM30 was originally brought in to keep track of the movements of potential terrorists of a bygone era, including the Chinese Communist insurgents of the 1970s, as well as the aftermath of the Vietnam War and the Khmer Rouge. It was revived, according to the recent "narak" immigration video as a result of Islamic terrorists assembling bombs in their unregistered accommodation. 

• Like 2

My landlord filed one when I moved into my rental condo. I travel inside and outside Thailand and my landlord and I are not going to file anything else. I don’t tell her when I leave and the rest is hysteria. If I get fined 800 baht when I do my extension I don’t care. 

• Like 1

The TM30 was originally brought in to keep track of the movements of potential terrorists of a bygone era, including the Chinese Communist insurgents of the 1970s, as well as the aftermath of the Vietnam War and the Khmer Rouge. It was revived, according to the recent "narak" immigration video as a result of Islamic terrorists assembling bombs in their unregistered accommodation. 

Chinese communist insurgery =over,
Vietnam war over
Khmer Rouge over
Islamic terrorists
What has all this to do with westerners?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

It's not a problem....YET.     I have not read what others say (yet)  but I would say it depends on how often one moves around.   Some guys (no names) who bitch on here a lot I doubt rarely leave their area, and if so the immig office is not far away.  So I would not think it should be a problem.  Older guys like me who no

longer take trips also, no problem.     BUT  if I was in and out a lot and had to constantly report, then my level of discontent would definitely increase.   Wouldn't send me scrambling for my bags to go to South America though

• Like 1

The law ain’t going to be waived since it’s been there forever. However, I think both immigration and foreigners could agree upon the hassle it currently causes. Digitalize it and pretty much the problem has been solved. This is what must be prioritized to streamline the process. I have no problem to report my stay, and I want to follow the laws - but at least make it less cumbersome. 

With the fingerprints installed at the airports you would think they could just make a functional app to file a report of stay. This should also apply to tm.28. They could include all this in one system. 

We need a new petition to streamline the process and make it easier to report rather than trying effortlessly to get rid of the law which they never do.

Edited by racket

6 hours ago, Wake Up said:

My landlord filed one when I moved into my rental condo. I travel inside and outside Thailand and my landlord and I are not going to file anything else. I don’t tell her when I leave and the rest is hysteria. If I get fined 800 baht when I do my extension I don’t care. 

Exactly the same for me.

• Like 1