Why is my resting heart rate so low?

canuckamuck

My resting heart rate is 48. It always used to be around 60. Even in my teens, I'm 52 now.

I recently lost more than 20kg, so I am wondering if my heart is currently setup for a fat guy and now it's in a less fat guy, making it work less hard.

Just did a test yesterday and was also surprised by my hearth rate. Everyone I saw taking the test including my wife had 2X that rate. I do quite a lot of sport so that probably explain it. I'm 37 and not fat. Your hearth rate is insanely low and I cant explain it! 

IMG_20190808_073006.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Some people just run a low pulse but as yours used to be higher and there is no clear reason for the drop (it will nto be due to losing weight), would not be a bad idea to get an EKG just to make sure you have not developed an arrythmia.

But first, count your pulse for a full minute, the lower the heart rate the less accurate it is to count for shorter period and multiply. And as you do this take note of whether it seems regular or not. It is of more concern if it is at all irregular than if it is completely regular.

I got the numbers from the machine at the hospital while waiting. Bp was 110 over 68. I feel very healthy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Exercise in any form lowers your heart rate. don't worry about it. Mine gets really low when I train for long distance runs.

Really, I thought that exercise RAISED your heart-rate, and that the quicker it took to get back to normal was a good sign of a healthy ticker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Really, I thought that exercise RAISED your heart-rate, and that the quicker it took to get back to normal was a good sign of a healthy ticker.

I think the poster want say if you do exercise, then your resting heart rate and your heart rate while walking will be lower as when you do nothing at all.

Resting Heartrate I think should be normal between 50 and 80, but this are average measures and some people are not exactly in that range. I have a rest heartrate of about 55 in average. lowest is 42 mostly while sleep ????.

But as the rest rate dropped from the OP I also would suggest to ask a doctor is the better solution as to ask only in this forum!

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

He probably mean that in periods when he put in extra miles his resting heart rate are lower than with his regular training schedule.

The figures we can find on the internet about healthy heart rate are only indicators and every human being is different.

I am 75 and my heart rate is around 55/min since many years but I feel good and my experienced GP says he had many patients like me with bradycardia and having a good life....most important is regular exercise and I follow the HASfit recommended exercise for the elderly  /  

Your metabolism has likely slowed slightly to conserve energy as a result of your 20kg weightloss. Also possible that your heart now has to work less hard to pump the required blood and oxygen around your body. I can almost gaurantee you are normal. Enjoy your new health and weight and stop asking for/taking medical advice from Thai Visa.

• Like 1

When I wake up my heart rate varies from 45 to 55. When I was 14 my heart rate was 50 in the day. I was a good long distance runner because my breathing slowed down. A weight loss can reduce your heart rate too. If you are taking exercise that will also lower your resting heart rate. Lack of stress reduces heart rates too.

55 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It does while you exercise but he mentioned resting heart rate, which will be lower due to a well conditioned heart... 

• Like 1

Mine has been naturally low (when in shape) as far back as I can remember (at least since 18)... with a typical resting heart rate of 38 to 40 (I could get it lower than that when running daily).  It was funny, I saw one doctor one time (new) and he was going to send me for tests and I told him, done that long ago... it was just a natural (genetic) low heart rate). 

My suspicions -- based on your data, is that you had 60 then lost 20kg (which I am guess involved some exercise? ) and now it is 48... is that you have a naturally lower heart rate but being out of shape was causing it to be higher than it should.  The average person being 20kg or more overweight would have likely had a higher heart rate than 60bpm.

Keep up the good work, and since you are over 50 a reasonably regular health checkup would be a wise idea.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

When I wake up my heart rate varies from 45 to 55. When I was 14 my heart rate was 50 in the day. I was a good long distance runner because my breathing slowed down. A weight loss can reduce your heart rate too. If you are taking exercise that will also lower your resting heart rate. Lack of stress reduces heart rates too.

Well you are correct. I have been told that  weight loss, no stress but strenuous exercises like shagging like a bunny could either improve your health or just simply kill you. So really it is a 50/50 option I guess.