Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

Bit of an ambiguous report to be fair. 'Residue' found but no mention of any particular pesticide or chemical, 'Some are harmful'. Chemicals are permitted and deemed safe for use in agriculture under EU law.

There's a slight difference in this article about school food in Thailand ....

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vegetables-and-fruits-in-student-lunches-heavily-contaminated-with-toxic-chemicals/

As well as .... 

'Besides the unsafe fruits and vegetables, Mr Marut said meat, meat balls and sausages used in student lunches were also found to be contaminated with borax and formalin.'

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, rorybreaker83 said:

Bit of an ambiguous report to be fair. 'Residue' found but no mention of any particular pesticide or chemical, 'Some are harmful'. Chemicals are permitted and deemed safe for use in agriculture under EU law.

There's a slight difference in this article about school food in Thailand ....

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vegetables-and-fruits-in-student-lunches-heavily-contaminated-with-toxic-chemicals/

As well as .... 

'Besides the unsafe fruits and vegetables, Mr Marut said meat, meat balls and sausages used in student lunches were also found to be contaminated with borax and formalin.'

Should make a well preserved, if not good looking, corpse.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Hear what you're saying. It's always the weather reason isn't it. Must admit I'm not sure if I could get through a UK winter now. I was up in North Yorkshire last year, just stunning. Could see myself seeing my days out strolling around the dales, lovely pubs etc, but yes the weather, it's always the weather!

You sort of answered the question you put to me earlier.

While Yorkshire ( I’m from W Yorks ) is a beautiful place with stunning scenery its down to the weather, and not just the winter months, spring/summer/autumn can be unpredictable .

Sometimes felt like someone was having a laugh at our expense, sunny and pleasant Mon thru Fri, wet and windy at the weekend.

Realistically 4 or 5 months in the uk 7 or 8 here would work well, but commitments and the expense of maintaining 2 lifestyles wouldn’t work for me.

Its one or the other for me and I choose Thailand...... for now !!

If push comes to shove I could move back and adapt fairly easily I think, even after 25 years !!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed dairy products are generally more expensive in Thailand because they're foreign imports.

But what I save on not paying council tax in the UK, makes up for any and all foreign imported food in Thailand.

Milk is produced here in Thailand and is not a foreign import.However it is 2.5 x more expensive.

Edited by mlkik
3 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Milk is produced here in Thailand and is not a foreign import.However it is 2.5 x more expensive.

Between 50% and 75% of milk sold in Thailand is imported from China and New Zealand as milk powder and reconstituted in a Thai factory.

Foremost was a Thai company created to provide milk to American troops on R&R during the Vietnam war from imported powdered milk.

Edited by BritManToo
4 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Jesus wept, people 'are' actually talking about the price of cheese. I assume you are as bored as I am waiting until beer o'clock.

Only 2 hours to go for me as 5pm is beer oclock yipeeeeee . Then it is my turn to annoy the mrs and neighbours with some loud blaring punk rock and cold beer.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I just paid 275bht for 1Kg American yellow cheddar.

Last month 210bht for 1Kg Danish blue, and 275bht for 1Kg of mature Aussie Cheddar.

I've saved that just on buying 3 bottles of spirits in Thailand, then add the savings by not paying council tax, heating bills, overly expensive accommodation fees, car insurance, MOT, road tax ...... etc.

Not paying council tax is a big saving but my air con electricity bills per month are more here than my heating and electric in the UK.

My car road tax is about the same here for the new car I have and the insurance here is more expensive. Car service in UK is free on new cars but not here. However petrol is cheaper.

I love Thailand ,but also disslike a lot of things about it. I love the UK but also disslike a lot about it.

Looking forward to going back to the UK next month and seeing UK Subs and 999 in concert ! Then again in March returning to see Stiff Little Fingers and Cock Sparrer in concert.

However here I can sup on my cold beer outside every evening ! Maybee Thailand wins after all 555.

Edited by mlkik
5 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Not paying council tax is a big saving but my air con electricity bills per month are more here than my heating and electric in the UK.

My car road tax is about the same here for the new car I have and the insurance here is more expensive. Car service in UK is free on new cars but not here. However petrol is cheaper.

I love Thailand ,but also disslike a lot of things about it. I love the UK but also disslike a lot about it.

Looking forward to giing back to the UK next month and seeing UK Subs and 999 in concert ! Then again in March returning to see Stiff Little Fingers and Cock Sparrer in concert.

However here I can sup on my cold beer outside every evening ! Maybee Thailand wins after all 555.

The Cockney rejects are playing their first two albums live in their enitiety in London soon 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Cockney rejects are playing their first two albums live in their enitiety in London soon 

Yeah in November , I go back early December ! I saw them at the Rebellion festival in Blackpool in August , top band and a great gig as per norm.

34 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Not used air-con last month or this, I probably average 200bht/month over the year.

Got my pickup taxed, checked and insured last week, 2,465bht, that's about the price of the MOT in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Yeah in November , I go back early December ! I saw them at the Rebellion festival in Blackpool in August , top band and a great gig as per norm.

I managed to see these live at "home " at the Subterranean Ladbroke grove just after I got back 

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not used air-con last month or this, I probably average 200bht/month over the year.

Got my pickup taxed, checked and insured last week, 2,465bht, that's about the price of the MOT in the UK.

Well my car insurance was 17 000 baht for first class. I do not know what insurance you could get for that price ?

We use air con a lot ,just the same as in the UK I will put on the heating when I feel a bit cold.

I do not like to scrimp and save and pretend I have acclimatised !

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Well my car insurance was 17 000 baht for first class. I do not know what insurance you could get for that price ?

We use air con a lot ,just the same as in the UK I will put on the heating when I feel a bit cold.

I do not like to scrimp and save and pretend I have acclimatised !

In the US, Florida , me, my wife and 24 year old daughter  have three cars, none of as has any tickets or accidents. 

We pay a litle over $500 (15,000 bht  ) per month.  and have a $500 deductible.

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I managed to see these live at "home " at the Subterranean Ladbroke grove just after I got back 

I first saw Killing Joke when I was 14 ,38 years ago , at the UEA back in the day when Jaz played keyboards aswell as vocals. Saw them another couple of times within the space of a year and can say one of those gigs was louder than when I saw Motorhead !

I saw them again in 1990 but have not seen them since. Hope they play Rebellion next year as I have a ticket for the gig and the plane from BKK to Uk.

• Like 1