Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The smoke isn't the problem, it's what your burning, understand? And fyi, your mum is wrong.

Don't you know how to use Google?

Yes, I do know how to use google and thats where I got my info from .

Smoke from a bonfire is considered to be a statutory nuisance and the local authority will act on any complaint .

Smoke is the problem, it doesnt matter on what is being burnt and causing that smoke .

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

Sitting here drinking my cold leos and it is a nice cool temperature , however the neighbours are burning plastic and it really is a downer! Fuc#in in stinks !

Just tellin the truth! Real life in an Issan village.

It is too much now and have to go indoors. I miss those clean air days in rural UK.

Your neighbour wouldnt be allowed to do that in the UK as there are rules against causing a nuisance and causing pollution in the UK

• Like 1

Lot of aggressive Russians in the Uk now to add to the rest who sort a "new way of life" makes you feel like a 2nd class citizen in your own country and if you say anything you are a racist, the country has gone mad, what a world we now live in, free speech? you are bound to offend someone.

• Like 2
Just now, nong38 said:

Lot of aggressive Russians in the Uk now to add to the rest who sort a "new way of life" makes you feel like a 2nd class citizen in your own country and if you say anything you are a racist, the country has gone mad, what a world we now live in, free speech? you are bound to offend someone.

It was Polish and Lithuanian in my area, its what was the final straw for me. When I saw the local shop with Polish writing over the windows etc I felt an alien in my home town. Realised the town and country I knew has long gone, consigned to memories and history.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, bannork said:

What a dull land the UK is- millions of 'you're not allowed'. In one sense it's a fault of geography, the country is just so small with so many people it's necessary to keep the people in pens to stop them biting and scratching each other

But in another way it's a shame.

Regulated to death, people live such restricted lives. Can they sell noodles from a cart on the pavement if they see  potential customers passing by?

Good grief, no sir. You could be a potential health risk.

Borrrring.

Its anti social to start fires in your back garden .

There is regular refuse collection and also dumps where you can take large items to dump for no cost .

There is no need to have a fire in your back garden .

If you are an anti social polluter who annoys all your neighbours by having fires in your garden , there should be rules to stop you doing so .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It was Polish and Lithuanian in my area, its what was the final straw for me. When I saw the local shop with Polish writing over the windows etc I felt an alien in my home town. Realised the town and country I knew has long gone, consigned to memories and history.

How long ago did that happen? OZ has been multiculturale big time since the 50"s and my own parents arrived from Serbia via ship in the big migration push for more labour. For the most part we all got along although the ozzies were very racist in the beginning but that eased over time and the europeans brought in new cuisine and fantastic delis and much needed labour.

Where it started to get weird was when the lebanese gangs arrived and muslims started their own communities with mosques being built all over and young muslims began on their pack raping crusades.

The asians settled in well and Thai and Vietnamese food became all the rage ( after the chinese invasion) and still are

And of course happy endings started to pop up in the newspaper classifieds adult section ..win win for everyone

Edited by madmen
4 hours ago, nong38 said:

Feeling out of place (not belonging) in one's own country is extremely unsettling.

Touching on the mass wave of immigration from Europe, while not wanting to drag this thing in, the whole brexit thing for many is about having the choice of who comes in and numbers control. That's not such a big deal is it? Especially for a little island. 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although we do appreciate signs in Thailand which are written in English .

I used to go to South Wales a lot, & what really used to boil my pish, were roadsigns in Welsh/English...

In SW, the vast majority of people speak only English, but <deleted> me, they have to put the Welsh word above the English on a roadsign.

If it was North Wales, it might be understandable, as much more Welsh is spoken.

But then, since marrying my lovely Issan wife, ???? I sort of see why. There aren't any signs in Issan/Lao - well very few, & I see a culture that is 'capped', if that's the correct word, from expanding.

No Issan/English translations are available, which at times is frustrating.

Sabai dee bor.....?????

At least in the UK I did not need a 2500 litre water tank to be able to shower , do washing ,wash dishes and water the garden .

Everyday here in the village in Issan there is no water supply . All the other neighbours just seem to accept that there is no water at certain points of the day.

Only problem is when we have one of the frequent power cuts the pump will not run and therefore no water!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, mlkik said:

At least in the UK I did not need a 2500 litre water tank to be able to shower , do washing ,wash dishes and water the garden .

Everyday here in the village in Issan there is no water supply . All the other neighbours just seem to accept that there is no water at certain points of the day.

Only problem is when we have one of the frequent power cuts the pump will not run and therefore no water!

Don't you have a large water tank a few metres above ground? The pump fills it so then you rely on gravity feed.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bannork said:

What a dull land the UK is- millions of 'you're not allowed'. In one sense it's a fault of geography, the country is just so small with so many people it's necessary to keep the people in pens to stop them biting and scratching each other

But in another way it's a shame.

Regulated to death, people live such restricted lives. Can they sell noodles from a cart on the pavement if they see  potential customers passing by?

Good grief, no sir. You could be a potential health risk.

Borrrring.

Nothing  like the taste of burning plastic in the back of your throat. 

????

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, bannork said:

Don't you have a large water tank a few metres above ground? The pump fills it so then you rely on gravity feed.

No , our tank is ground level and the pump is after the tank.

Edited by mlkik
32 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Fantastic, used to love Sundays clay pigeon shoot!!!!

Now swapped for these .

20191030_131100.jpg

Interestinly the Thai notice says tai roop laew karuna gep buen - when you have finished taking a photo please put the guns back.

The English translation is misleading at best.

Edited by mlkik
  • Like 2
On 11/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, faraday said:

Yes, I'd like to experience snow one last time: Magical.

I still remember the time in junior school when my friend saw snow for the first time. She was born and brought up in Kenya. Snow started to fall in the early afternoon in the middle of class. She just got up and walked over to the window like a zombie , stood there and stared, totally silent. It took a while for us to process what was going on!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I still remember the time in junior school when my friend saw snow for the first time. She was born and brought up in Kenya. Snow started to fall in the early afternoon in the middle of class. She just got up and walked over to the window like a zombie , stood there and stared, totally silent. It took a while for us to process what was going on!

Amazing story. I bet you're a right laugh at parties, bro?

Edited by Khon Kaen Jeff
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In the case of the Newcastle I was born and brought up in, three hearty cheers for that...

4 minutes ago, baboon said:

Thailand is just as bad in its own way. Take away the sun and attractive people and what you are left with is basically an oriental East Germany. TM30? The Computer Crimes Act? 112? Curbs on the selling of alcohol? Vaping illegal? Think about it for a minute.

That depends predominantly on your life-style etc, I dont drink, dont smoke, never done a TM30 and if it was needed its a click in the app, so all thats left is the computer crimes thingy and cant see how that effects me either to be honest???? , I like my quiet back-water far from the madding crowd etc and have and enjoy a life-style here I could never possibly have back there. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That depends predominantly on your life-style etc, I dont drink, dont smoke, never done a TM30 and if it was needed its a click in the app, so all thats left is the computer crimes thingy and cant see how that effects me either to be honest???? , I like my quiet back-water far from the madding crowd etc and have and enjoy a life-style here I could never possibly have back there. 

Fair enough. But just because oppression does not touch your life doesn't mean it isn't there. And if it does, you have the option of packing up and leaving, unlike most Thais.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And also attempted to find out felangs social media user names on Thaivisa,  facebook  etc

Only dropped the idea because it was unworkable .

When I went to immigration to get a tourist visa extension, they asked me to list all the social media sites that I use and my user names .

I lied and told them that I dont use any social media sites     

QED.

• Like 1
Just now, baboon said:

Fair enough. But just because oppression does not touch your life doesn't mean it isn't there. And if it does, you have the option of packing up and leaving, unlike most Thais.

Fair comment. But, atleast the Thais have a say, ie, can vote etc and be heard in various official capicity, as "aliens" we have no voice, no options. You say leave, but leave where to what ? and to be honest with a family here that wouldnt ever be an option or desire for me. 

• Thanks 1