Don't believe an immigration officer's words unless it's in writing.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, stubuzz said:

Why is the MFA asking to see your visa to legalize your degree? They only took a copy of my bio page.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/24762-Procedure-of-Document-Authentication-by-Mail.html

services-20161031-183439-280102.png

Oh dear, this undermines the lot who are saying that there are no procedures here.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Pilotman said:

Jomtein Immigration issue new extension applicants with a letter telling them the date to report for a bank book check of their 800K and what is required of them, so to answer your question;  yes. 

one small thing that they are sure of, does not really answer the real question!!

1 hour ago, sturdyd said:

Yeah, but the lines keep moving!

Nine years here, and only one significant change - the end of US Embassy income affidavits, and the need to pull your 65k per month into a Thai bank account. Not sure that can be entirely blamed on TI. Then the increased enforcement of the TM30, which was not moving any lines, strictly speaking. Otherwise, fairly stable actually. Admittedly, 10 or 15 years ago, enforcement was far more relaxed, and slipping by many requirements was far more common, but that has nothing to do with lines moving.

13 hours ago, timendres said:

Nine years here, and only one significant change - the end of US Embassy income affidavits, and the need to pull your 65k per month into a Thai bank account. Not sure that can be entirely blamed on TI

That is two.....

To be honest one is more to do with the Embassy.

There were changes wrt money-in-the-bank too. 

On 8/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, Beggar said:

"Now I will have to pay a large fine at the airport and I don't expect to return to Thailand again." 

Your overstay is not the fault of Thailand. And I bet on it that you will come again. Every year I meet the same guys coming in the main season telling me before they fly back home that they have enough and will never come again. But they come again and again and tell me before leaving... 

If they give penalty or add on blacklist you can't come back until penalty expires. 

But if there is no blacklisting there is no problem to come back with right documents. 

But I don't understand why to leave everything too close to Visa expirations. 

There is nothing sure so you must study things before doing anything. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, KittenKong said:

Maybe not, but it is the fault of incompetent and unduly complex immigration practices.

Any proper system would have a written procedure in place for every eventuality and would stick to the procedure rigidly nationwide. Here it is all done on a whim by individual officers, with no paper trail at all. That is entirely Thailand's fault.

In this case there was a procedure and the IO stuck to it, legitimately.  The overstay and the MFA decision not to authorise something for a foreigner on overstay is not the IB's fault.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, jojolion said:

If you click on the link, one of the required documents is a copy of your passport, perhaps if I had just submitted the bio page it might have gone differently.

Never give them more than they ask for. Copy of passport, means Bio page only, not visa, last entry stamp, etc etc, if they want those they will ask for them.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is two.....

To be honest one is more to do with the Embassy.

There were changes wrt money-in-the-bank too. 

Right. The Embassy change was the impetus for the major problem many now face. The new rule regarding keeping the 800k in the back for 3 months after the extension does not have any meaning for me, since I would never touch the money - but I recognize that this does affect others. In other words, TI has not "moved the goal posts" significantly in 9 years. I think it would be naive to think that TI policies will never change. They need to adapt to change. Unfortunately, they seem to mostly adapt in a way that might best be described as moving backwards.