A distorted picture of Thailand

Brunolem

2 minutes ago, HLover said:

No, seems relevant...

do think he's 80% spot on.... since he posted about it (he must have something to complain about) the 20% goes for what he didn't say/write, let's wait and see

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had 4 face to face conversations with farang in Thailand in the last 3 years:

1. 3 years ago: 4 minute conversation. Learnt the length of time the guy had been here, previous occupation and his fears of his beloved homeland the UK. I said hello to him and goodbye, that was it.

2. 2 years ago met an Irish lad who seemed sorted, had a kid, Mrs and a nice little bistro. They had come to the area to set up a biz for the wife, was decent and was 6 months since they started, a week later the place closed down and they vanished.

3. During a trip to secure a nice cold beer I got caught in the rain so I sat in the shop next to a farang who in 10 minutes told me pretty much his life story, his wife's house value, his decision to buy versus his mates who have been renting, his car, his house value appreciation (wildly off) his previous occupation and his concerns for the baht conversion against the GBP.

4. My two sentences to a fellow European have never once been about the past but only about the now. Spoke to this guy 3 times so far for less than 30 seconds each time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

surely only the gullible soak up every negative comment

HI 473.. I don't know - the negativity is pervasive and pernicious. It is not going to matter too much to people who love their everyday life, but what about someone who has never been here? I have had friends who decided not to come, getting their info from TVF... nothing I could do to convince them otherwise agst the volumes of nasty.  

To put some of the "strange" comments here into the right prospective, the reader should know that there are three categories of people who don't have to deal with immigration shit:

a) those who, somehow, got permanent residence,

b) those who, somehow, got Thai citizenship,

c) the Thais themselves.

• Confused 3

I went to Terminal 21 in Pattaya yesterday for the first time. Not knowing Pattaya real well I wished all maps used the same names for streets. South Pattaya Rd = Pattaya tai, Central Pattaya Rd = Pattaya Klang and North Pattaya Rd = Pattaya Nua…. WHY?? Ate at the Shabu place, walked around, it's neat there for the restaurants. Walked thru the food court.....Amazing....

Today we're going to the waterslide in Pattaya...the old one cause it's pretty neat and it's cheap. The other waterslides run 800bht each, extra for chairs in shade, can't bring outside food and drinks in.....Yikes. I can afford it but it's hard to justify spending that kind of money.

Let's see....Well hope it doesn't rain and traffic is light driving to waterslides....see you guys

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand doesn't bother me, I've had me life and I'm looking forward to death.

I agree that death is the ultimate adventure, but, as it will come to me one day, I'm in no rush .....

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

This real problem comes from the British club.
 - their Brexit looks like a disaster
 - Sterling collapses day by day
 - their tankers are captives of the Iranians
 - their first laugh the whole world
 - their only friend DT is more than worried...

and in addition, it is the French who are world champions.

Sorry about this, mate!  How would you feel if you were watching your country self-destruct on a daily basis? It's hard to keep one's pecker up in the face of such adversity. And it isn't so much the French being World Champions that got to us but the fact that our team was dumped out of the competition by a team from a pretend country with the population of a small market town.

Don't quite get your fourth point though.

2 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Sorry about this, mate!  How would you feel if you were watching your country self-destruct on a daily basis? It's hard to keep one's pecker up in the face of such adversity. And it isn't so much the French being World Champions that got to us but the fact that our team was dumped out of the competition by a team from a pretend country with the population of a small market town.

Don't quite get your fourth point though.

The UK is getting karmic payback for what they did a few hundred years ago, strutting around the world, taking what they wanted.

• Haha 2