Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Few of them use it as a visa provider being the ''manager''

for many it's also a way to keep tilak\gf\wife busy being the

mamasan, at least it's in line with their skills and past job

Yes . The same as the Indian restaurants . Just a front,  the real money is being made elsewhere . 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 8:11 PM, Leaver said:

La Canteena for sale.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/guesthouse-restaurant-south-pattaya-383751

Also, Scuba posted The Devonshire is for sale also, but for some reason his post was removed.

The Devonshire does a great breakfast.  I'll miss it.  

Why would anyone in their right mind pay key money for a failed business in the middle of a global pandemic and when the main source of income has disappeared?

Absurd.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why would anyone in their right mind pay key money for a failed business in the middle of a global pandemic and when the main source of income has disappeared?

Absurd.

The linked advert actually states no key money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Absurd.

Need to launder their illegal money some way. Where I lived in Australia  they arrested a major crime figure and a few  days later  a number of bars and fashion boutiques closed down. 

Yep, and then quotes an asking price of THB 1,490,000 which for the sake of splitting hairs we will assume is for the sale of the 'business' i.e. the fixtures and fittings etc.

Will be about timing . Once the border opens the desperate few will swamp Pattaya . Grab a buyer in this time and you can do well . Miss out and you are screwed. 

• Haha 1

Yep, and then quotes an asking price of THB 1,490,000 which for the sake of splitting hairs we will assume is for the sale of the 'business' i.e. the fixtures and fittings etc.

I would say so.... you think that is expensive or have some other point?

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Absurd.

Tenants were not paying key money prior to covid.  Anyone paying key money now, and for the foreseeable future, is crazy.  

I saw today going past that Mr Pee's bar on Beach Road between the 5 Star Bar and Mike's Shopping Mall is no more, as in completely.demolished. Quite liked a beer in there at sundown as there was plenty of street action around there when the town was in full flow. 

15 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I saw today going past that Mr Pee's bar on Beach Road between the 5 Star Bar and Mike's Shopping Mall is no more, as in completely.demolished. Quite liked a beer in there at sundown as there was plenty of street action around there when the town was in full flow. 

The front of Pizza Hut Beach road has also been demolished, maybe a redesign or maybe they've gone

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The front of Pizza Hut Beach road has also been demolished, maybe a redesign or maybe they've gone

Not a big loss imo.

Even in high season in the previous years i have rarely seen customers inside

and the reviews on internet from their rares customers were terrible

i wonder how they have managed to stay open during all these years

obviously losing money, another Pattaya business mystery

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:01 AM, Leaver said:

For many, their bar is just an expensive hobby.  

I was told pretty much that as far back as the eighties by a friend who ran a small bar in Patong, Phuket.

He basically said that the only way he ever "gained" financially was that he could drink at cost price and that all his mates would come to see him regularly and buy him drinks.

Great bloke - basically an alcoholic though and fortunately his lovely wife eventually "forced" him to choose between her and the bar. Luckily he chose her, sold the bar and is still alive and kicking!

I suspect that his is not a unique story.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, Leaver said:

The atmosphere will come back, but perhaps not to the degree it existed before covid.  Western tourism was declining in Pattaya, before covid. 

Repeat western tourists may be in for a shock when they return.     

Reading this and other threads from afar (UK) that shock element is my fear.

Clearly my next trip to Thailand is "sometime in the future" but I so hope that the fun of Pattaya is somehow still there and the place hasn't become a sterile dump like Patong did....I really do miss it, but all remains to be seen.

55 minutes ago, VBF said:

Reading this and other threads from afar (UK) that shock element is my fear.

The question is, will the fear, then shock, then turn into disappointment when they are here, which will then have most seriously reconsidering if they should repeat visit again in the next 5 years?  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, VBF said:

I was told pretty much that as far back as the eighties by a friend who ran a small bar in Patong, Phuket.

He basically said that the only way he ever "gained" financially was that he could drink at cost price and that all his mates would come to see him regularly and buy him drinks.

Great bloke - basically an alcoholic though and fortunately his lovely wife eventually "forced" him to choose between her and the bar. Luckily he chose her, sold the bar and is still alive and kicking!

I suspect that his is not a unique story.

I have a theory that most (maybe all) bar owners are either pre-alcoholic or alcoholic, they mainly want to be near drink 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Leaver said:

The question is, will the fear, then shock, then turn into disappointment when they are here, which will then have most seriously reconsidering if they should repeat visit again in the next 5 years?  

I guess that depends on what their expectations are prior to travelling. Anyone with half a brain will know that things have changed; the questions are what? and by how much?

That's where this and other forums are so useful - it also depends on whether one has friends "on the ground".

Also depends on how flexible one is with one's wishes and desires. I would still like to spend a couple of months there this year but not under the present uncertainty, and definitely not whilst I'm required to jump through all the hoops.

Personally I'm doing the only things I can do:

Following forums, which I'd do anyway

Keeping in touch with mates which I'd do anyway

Most importantly, "Waiting and seeing" in which, tbh, I have little choice. My present decision is "definitely maybe"................possibly! ????

Edited by VBF

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

I think there's enough bar owning vloggers and others with time on their hands walking around town filming the current state of affairs to give those not here an accurate impression of what the situation is like on the ground.  For anyone planning a trip these days they are in the perfect position not to be shocked or disappointed with what awaits them if they make an even minimal effort to do a bit of pre-trip research.

If those vloggers are accurately filming what we all see here everyday (prior to the recent lock down) why would they come here, even if quarantine was not required?  

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I guess that depends on what their expectations are prior to travelling. Anyone with half a brain will know that things have changed; the questions are what? and by how much?

That's where this and other forums are so useful - it also depends on whether one has friends "on the ground".

Also depends on how flexible one is with one's wishes and desires. I would still like to spend a couple of months there this year but not under the present uncertainty, and definitely not whilst I'm required to jump through all the hoops.

Personally I'm doing the only things I can do:

Following forums, which I'd do anyway

Keeping in touch with mates which I'd do anyway

Most importantly, "Waiting and seeing" in which, tbh, I have little choice. My present decision is "definitely maybe"................possibly! ????

Thanks for your perspective as an outsider looking in.

What would Pattaya have to look like for you to decide not to return here until things were better.  I don't mean at present, with the lock down, I mean once vaccines have been rolled out, globally, and planes take to the sky.  

People have different expectations of their holiday to Pattaya.  As Pattaya continues to change, due to economic hardship and closures, many may defer a holiday here for a few years.  

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As Pattaya continues to change, due to economic hardship and closures, many may defer a holiday here for a few years. 

I know of more than one person who would have been holidaying in Pattaya now, had it not been for quarantine and the events of the last few days. A week ago there were plenty of options for someone coming here for a couple of weeks holiday.

There is no reason to suppose that everything won't be back to normal by the summer. There's no reason to suppose it will either but talk of years or never is nonsense.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

A week ago there were plenty of options for someone coming here for a couple of weeks holiday.

My point is, those "options" are diminishing rapidly over time, and by the time quarantine ends, and some planes are in the air, there may be no desire to return here to see what little "options" have survived.    

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

My point is, those "options" are diminishing rapidly over time, and by the time quarantine ends, and some planes are in the air, there may be no desire to return here to see what little "options" have survived.    

555. I can only speak for the UK but I can assure you that there is plenty of "desire" in certain quarters. They can't wait to get back. I told my friend, who is sat in tier 4 in the UK, of the current situation and he said "I'd still rather be locked down in Pattaya than the UK", He was serious and I agree with him.

• Like 2

It's weird, the longer this goes on, the more likely the place will become a desert, and lose all its charm; which is down to the ladies, at the end of the day. Anyway, I'm scheduled to return in January sometime. It will be interesting to see how things have changed. I'm Thailand resident by the way, so this is a domestic journey.

29 minutes ago, polpott said:

I can assure you that there is plenty of "desire" in certain quarters.

Will there be enough "certain quarters" in a post covid recovery to keep businesses open that cater for westerners?   

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

It's weird, the longer this goes on, the more likely the place will become a desert, and lose all its charm; which is down to the ladies, at the end of the day. Anyway, I'm scheduled to return in January sometime. It will be interesting to see how things have changed. I'm Thailand resident by the way, so this is a domestic journey.

Provincial borders may be closed. 

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Provincial borders may be closed. 

Not exactly closed, if you travel from an orange zone to a red zone there won't be restrictions but when you return to the orange zone you will have to self quarantine for 14 days,