Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

6 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Do you think the Patpong Family really care about the next tenant in a shack on Beach Road?

Prime Real Estate.

All IMHO

No argument from me.  The wealthy Thai families that own a high percentage of land here, in prime locations, couldn't care, but that doesn't make it a sound business decision, unless the landlord was waiting for the lease to expire so he can redevelop the plot himself.  If this is the case, now he can start construction, in quiet covid time.    

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Been announced that Tahitian Queen on Beach Road has closed, possibly for good.

Only rumours to why at the moment, but it looks like the Landlord did not want to reduce what they were paying for rent, and lets be honest its on prime real estate there, so can you blame him?

Another GoGo that probably should have moved when they had a chance.

No great loss though, well past it's sell by date. The day time market for gogos is poor even pre-covid, same goes to those other gogos on Soi 13/1 13/2

• Like 2

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No great loss though, well past it's sell by date. The day time market for gogos is poor even pre-covid, same goes to those other gogos on Soi 13/1 13/2

Any closure, however temporary, of the historic TQ is a loss even if unrecognized by TVF posters well past their sell by dates. TQ had changed its hours, BTW, and was doing OK pre-COVID and even surviving post-COVID, though diminished, owing to superior management and product.

TQ has a large following, much of whom can't or won't get back into the country for who knows how much longer. So we'll see what happens after this new lockdown. It's rough on everyone, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Any closure, however temporary, of the historic TQ is a loss

Seems to be some debate if the closure is temporary, or permanent, and whether or not this is fake new.

I posted this link to The Pattaya Mail on the other thread.  (not sure if it's allowed - I have never posted a link to them before)

Whilst you don't believe everything you read on the internet, the article appears genuine.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/tahitian-queen-pattayas-oldest-bar-calls-it-quits-after-42-years-339508

Sadly, I suspect there will be many more permanent closures over the next few months.  

On 1/5/2021 at 6:43 AM, BigStar said:

Any closure, however temporary, of the historic TQ is a loss even if unrecognized by TVF posters well past their sell by dates. TQ had changed its hours, BTW, and was doing OK pre-COVID and even surviving post-COVID, though diminished, owing to superior management and product.

TQ has a large following, much of whom can't or won't get back into the country for who knows how much longer. So we'll see what happens after this new lockdown. It's rough on everyone, of course.

Whilst not being a regular at TQ, I always made a point of going a couple of times a trip - there will also be a lot of Hashers very sad if this closure is indeed permanent.

UPDATE:

https://pattayaone.news/farewell-to-tahitian-queen/ 

Edited by VBF

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Whilst not being a regular at TQ, I always made a point of going a couple of times a trip - there will also be a lot of Hashers very sad if this closure is indeed permanent.

UPDATE:

https://pattayaone.news/farewell-to-tahitian-queen/ 

A further update to this because a reliable friend has emailed me with further information and I'd like to correct what I and others have posted and post what I believe to be the truth.

I understand that my friend has access to privileged info but (obviously) cannot attribute anything.

Having previously told me, in the strongest terms (!) that it (the story of TQ closing permanently) is untrue, my friend goes on to say that he believes that "Some interested parties are very unhappy that this fake story is going around as it's business sensitive"

As he understands things - this closure is temporary due to the Chon Buri provincial lockdown and thereafter hopes (and expects) it to re-open. 

He also says that  "There was NO closing down party on 29th Dec" - as has apparently been stated.

I know no more than this - I guess those of you in Pattaya will have to wait and see unless someone who knows the whole story cares to post.

Edited by VBF

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

A further update to this because a reliable friend has emailed me with further information and I'd like to correct what I and others have posted and post what I believe to be the truth.

I understand that my friend has access to privileged info but (obviously) cannot attribute anything.

Having previously told me, in the strongest terms (!) that it (the story of TQ closing permanently) is untrue, my friend goes on to say that he believes that "Some interested parties are very unhappy that this fake story is going around as it's business sensitive"

As he understands things - this closure is temporary due to the Chon Buri provincial lockdown and thereafter hopes (and expects) it to re-open. 

He also says that  "There was NO closing down party on 29th Dec" - as has apparently been stated.

I know no more than this - I guess those of you in Pattaya will have to wait and see unless someone who knows the whole story cares to post.

I expect the perpetrators to be charged under the computer crimes act, and for tarnishing Thailand's good image, with nothing less then 20 years gaol. 

The distress this has caused to mongers, not only in Pattaya, but all around the world, is enormous. 

???? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I expect the perpetrators to be charged under the computer crimes act, and for tarnishing Thailand's good image, with nothing less then 20 years gaol. 

The distress this has caused to mongers, not only in Pattaya, but all around the world, is enormous. 

???? 

Well it's already got 3 of us in UK arguing!  That's why I posted.....????

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

???? 

Here we go

one of the culprits lol

Also Brian Flowers  the boss of Night wish group, who is usually well informed about the 

bar scene in Pattaya, talk about it on his public facebook page

•  
      •  

Been going here for 33 years . Now it's a sad day to see TQ closing down Bryan

L’image contient peut-être : une personne ou plus, texte qui dit ’Sad news. The Tahitian Queen (TQ) has had to finally shut down. (Bankrupt and closed). The TQ was PH3's longest running "Happy Hour Bar." It was first used on run#14 on the d.March 1987. Owned by Woody and Bob, but run by our RA. "Emperor Airhead," it served us well. Sorry to see a true icon of Pattaya and the PH3 finished. Always remember Titty Tequilas, Christmas Snow and the shift change. Not to mention the hundreds of girls who came on runs that worked there. R.I.P. TQ. Thanks for everything. OnOn. சப்miug’

• J’aime

•  · 
          Voir la traduction
        •  · 2 j
Edited by kingofthemountain

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

From the Facebook page.

"But due to this covid <deleted> I refuse to sit shut for anothet extended period."

So he decides to sit shut permanently.  

I think it's called "cutting your losses"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

I think it's called "cutting your losses"

Pattaya has strange business models though, many make losses all the time until the cash burn eventually ends the pain, any pre-planning prior to buying the place is most likely done on a back of a fag packet

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VBF said:

Indeed. A lot of expats in Thailand seem to open businesses on a whim thinking "that sounds like fun" when in their home countries, they would probably practice due diligence.

Having thought about it myself back in the eighties, I assume that, like me, they are blinded by their impressions of Thailand, rather than the truth and / or led to the slaughter by an attractive "partner".  Glad I thought it through......

Very true, also if they had the option of a profitable 7 Eleven franchise vs a loss making beer bar with pretty girls in it the beer bar would win every time. Also they should seriously ask themselves " am I a pre-alcoholic or alcoholic" if yes don't go any further 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Another closing today is the long standing Dre's Bar on Soi Buakhao

134365429_2725457887719230_6211635017498609274_o.jpg.3f7bb2331d0f9d04bd9f177b849e899b.jpg

I have been informed Dre has retired and passed the bar,s lease over to a Thai lady friend... :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, VBF said:

Indeed. A lot of expats in Thailand seem to open businesses on a whim thinking "that sounds like fun" when in their home countries, they would probably practice due diligence.

Having thought about it myself back in the eighties, I assume that, like me, they are blinded by their impressions of Thailand, rather than the truth and / or led to the slaughter by an attractive "partner".  Glad I thought it through......

I am quite certain that is not a single business owner that will honestly say they made the right decision investing in Thailand 

sad but true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

I am quite certain that is not a single business owner that will honestly say they made the right decision investing in Thailand 

sad but true

And in response to this and @Leaver 's comment:

I knew one guy in Phuket who was honest enough to admit that the only financial benefits he got from his bar was that he could drink at cost price and loads of his mates would come in and buy him drinks. Mind you, he was always ringing the bell, so doubt that was totally a benefit!

He did eventually sell the bar whilst he still a had a functioning liver though, so not all bad news. ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I doubt it but....if you say so.

Why do you doubt it?  

In his mind, buying the bar was worth it, because he could drink at wholesale price, but he obviously didn't add on purchase price of the bar, and all the other expenses, to the wholesale price of each beer?  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Why do you doubt it?  

In his mind, buying the bar was worth it, because he could drink at wholesale price, but he obviously didn't add on purchase price of the bar, and all the other expenses, to the wholesale price of each beer?  

Are you suggesting he's paying 200 baht per beer.....seriously?